By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Best-Selling Console in Modern Warfare II Week - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Oct 23-29

Be sure to share the weekly breakdown article here.

PS5 Best-Selling Console in Modern Warfare II Week - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Oct 23-29

The PlayStation 5 was the best-selling console with 300,733 units sold for the week ending October 29, 2022, according to VGChartz estimates. The PS5 has now sold an estimated 25.27 million units lifetime.

The Nintendo Switch sold an estimated 274,709 units to bring its lifetime sales to 114.34 million units. The Xbox Series X|S sold 215,680 units to bring their lifetime sales to 17.92 million units.

PS5 sales compared to the same week for the PS4 in 2015 are up by over 6,000 units, while the Xbox Series X|S compared to the same week for the Xbox One are down by nearly 11,000 units. PS4 sold 294,578 units for the week ending October 31, 2015 and Xbox One sales were at 226,339 units.

The PlayStation 4 sold an estimated 1,354 units, while the Xbox One sold 113 units.

PlayStation 5 sales compared to the same week a year ago are up by 55,412 (22.6%), while Xbox Series X|S sales are up by 58,639 units (37.3%) and Nintendo Switch sales are down by 180,016 units (-39.6%).

The PlayStation 4 is down 25,273 units (-94.9%) year-over-year and the Xbox One is down 3,544 units (-96.9%).

Looking at sales week-on-week, PlayStation 5 sales are up by nearly 26,000 units, Xbox Series X|S sales are up by over 21,000 units, and Nintendo Switch sales are down by over 8,000 units.

2022 year-to-date, the Nintendo Switch has sold an estimated 12.63 million units, the PlayStation 5 has sold 8.27 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S has sold 6.65 million units.

Global hardware estimates (Followed by lifetime sales):

1. PlayStation 5 - 300,733 (25,272,353)
  2. Switch - 274,709 (114,338,773)
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 215,680 (17,915,345)
  4. PlayStation 4 - 1,354 (117,012,309)
  5. Xbox One - 113 (51,278,358)
Americas (US, Canada, Latin America) hardware estimates:
  1. PlayStation 5 - 115,863
  2. Xbox Series X|S - 110,911
  3. Switch - 106,884
  4. PlayStation 4 - 998
  5. Xbox One - 79
Europe hardware estimates:
  1. PlayStation 5 - 101,184
  2. Switch - 86,937
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 71,199
  4. PlayStation 4 - 315
  5. Xbox One - 26
Asia (Japan, mainland Asia, Middle East) hardware estimates:
  1. PlayStation 5 - 70,861
  2. Switch - 68,674
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 23,369
  4. PlayStation 4 - 24
  5. Xbox One - 4
Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) hardware estimates:
  1. PlayStation 5 - 12,825
  2. Switch - 12,214
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 10,201
  4. PlayStation 4 - 17
  5. Xbox One - 4

VGChartz Methodology: Hardware estimates are based on retail sampling and trends in individual countries, which are then extrapolated to represent the wider region. This typically allows us to produce figures that end up being within 10% of the actual totals.

This data is regularly compared against official shipment figures released by the console manufacturers and figures estimated by regional trackers with greater market coverage than ourselves. We then update our own estimates to bring them into line with those figures. This can result in frequent changes often within a short space of time, but we feel it's important to prioritise accuracy over consistency.

Note that our estimates are based on sell-through data (units sold to consumers). In almost all cases the figures released by console manufacturers are based on shipment data (sell-in), where as soon as a device has left the factory and entered the supply chain for delivery it is considered a sale. This is why there is always a difference between the companies’ figures (sell-in) and VGChartz estimates (sell-through), even after we’ve made adjustments. The one exception to that is when a console has been discontinued and the remaining stock has finally sold out – at that point the figures will match.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 08 November 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

No way the PS5 wasn't going to win this week with the Switch's disappointing sales in Japan. The Switch will easily win next week, but the week after that (GOWR week) will likely be a win for Sony once again.

trunkswd said:

PS5 Best-Selling Console in Modern Warfare II Week - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Oct 23-29

[...]

The Switch has now sold an estimated 25.27 million units lifetime.

[...] 

Just a minor one. Thanks, @trunks, for the estimates. Was really excited to see this weeks estimates. 

Very strong PS5 numbers. It's impressive that even with the launch of COD the PS5 could beat XSS and XSX in the US. I wasn't expecting that to be honest, especially since Xbox delivered very healthy numbers in this generation so far. 

I'm always in for healthy numbers for every console, but I got to admit that NOW the time has started where I am especially excited about PS5 numbers until March 2023. Exciting weeks to come! 

Panicradio said:
trunkswd said:

[...]

The Switch has now sold an estimated 25.27 million units lifetime.

[...] 

Just a minor one. Thanks, @trunks, for the estimates. Was really excited to see this weeks estimates. 

Very strong PS5 numbers. It's impressive that even with the launch of COD the PS5 could beat XSS and XSX in the US. I wasn't expecting that to be honest, especially since Xbox delivered very healthy numbers in this generation so far. 

I'm always in for healthy numbers for every console, but I got to admit that NOW the time has started where I am especially excited about PS5 numbers until March 2023. Exciting weeks to come! 

Thanks for letting me know about that typo. I had completely missed that.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

They finally getting better stock?

Around the Network

Great numbers for PS5. Next week will be interesting.

So with the latest adjustments there are a few weeks now where PS5 has outsold the Switch globally. Also most of the weeks of the Switch are between 240-260k.
My prediction for the year might just be right. Between 18 and 20M. Just on point! Great.
Of course the result is very good for the system, it's in 6th year and is doing better than maybe every other console at the same point in time. Congrats!
I expect sales between 14 and 16M next year.
PS5 doing very well and it finally time to pass 300k weekly now, heading into the holidays. XBSX same thing, it's passing 200k and soon 300k I think. Great numbers all around.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 09 November 2022

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown  /  YOY Charts

Ragnarök week numbers are going to be fun to watch. I assume a significant portion of that 3.3M stock was saved up for it so I’m hoping for big numbers.

Isn't this the week of the Call Of Duty bundle for PS5? It should of easily been over 200K that week in the US alone. It was exclusive to PS direct but they had to have had over 100K stocked.

Same for the week with God Of War release and PS5 bundle. That's a huge week too. Bigger than COD. No way PS5 will only sell 100K that week. Come on now.

What's funny is that this site expects me to believe Xbox sold as much as PS5 in the US COD bundle week. The pre order was available for weeks up until release and stayed in stock for another week until it sold out. Some things just doesn't add up. Xbox is significantly overtracked on this site.

Can't wait to see sales week of God Of War. You know......the week of this holidays biggest game and has a PS5 bundle. Sony also held back 3M PS5's to sell this holiday.

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

The big surprise here is the impasse (tiny lead by estimates on VGChartz) between the PS5 and Switch in Japan. I expect to see the PS5 taking the global lead more in the future and for almost all of 2023.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima