By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Best-Selling Console in Modern Warfare II Week - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Oct 23-29

UK monthly report for October is now out. Link to the VGChartz article on the data here.

PS5 Barely Outsold Xbox Series in the UK in October, Modern Warfare II Launch Sales up 92% Year-On-Year

PlayStation 5 was very narrowly the best-selling console in the UK in October, according to GfK Entertainment. Sales for the PS5 were down six percent compared to September.

The Xbox Series X|S came in second place with sales right behind the PS5 and were flat month-on-month. 

The Nintendo Switch came in third place again, however, sales did increase five percent compared to September. The Nintendo Switch has now outsold lifetime sales of the Xbox One in the UK and is closing in on the PlayStation 3.

There were just under 175,000 video game consoles sold in the UK in October, which is down just one percent compared to September. 

So far for 2022 there is just 40,000 units separating the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

GSD data shows that 2,83 million physical and digital games were sold in the UK in October, which is up 11.2 percent year-on-year.

1.75 million of the games sold were digital, which is up nearly 36 percent compared to last year. This compared to 1.1 million physical games sold, which is down 14 percent year-on-year.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II had a launch that was nearly 92 percent higher than last year's Call of Duty: Vanguard. 57 percent of the sales were on PlayStation consoles, nearly 33 percent on Xbox consoles, and nearly 11 percent on PC. The PlayStation 5 was the number one platform with the game accounting for 42 percent of the sales.

FIFA 23 had a better October than FIFA 22 did last year, with sales up nearly six percent.

Gotham Knights came in third place, while Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope came in fifth place. PGA Tour 2K23 debuted in seventh place, Persona 5 Royal in 14th place, Bayonetta 3 in 15th place, and Dragon Ball: The Breakers in 19th place.

Here are the software (digital + physical) charts:

Position Title
1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
2 FIFA 23 (EA)
3 Gotham Knights (Warner Bros)
4 Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
5 Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope (Ubisoft)
6 Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
7 PGA Tour 2K23 (2K Games)
8 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
9 Splatoon 3* (Nintendo)
10 NBA 2K23 (2K Games) th>
11 Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo)*
12 LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Warner Bros)
13 Fallout 4 (Bethesda)
14 Persona 5 Royal
15 Bayonetta 3 (Nintendo)*
16 Minecraft: Switch Edition (Mojang/Nintendo)*
17 Horizon: Forbidden West (Sony)
18 F1 22 (EA)
19 Dragon Ball: The Breakers (Bandai Namco)
20 Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Nintendo)*

* Digital data unavailable

GSD digital data includes games from participating companies sold via Steam, Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Nintendo Eshop. Major participating companies are Activision Blizzard, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Codemasters, Electronic Arts, Embracer Group (including Gearbox, Koch Media, Sabre Interactive), Focus Entertainment, Konami, Marvellous Games, Microids, Microsoft (including Bethesda), Milestone, Nacon, Paradox Interactive, Quantic Dream, Sega, Sony, Square Enix, Take-Two, Ubisoft and Warner Bros. Nintendo and 505 Games are the notable absentees, alongside smaller studios.

Thanks, GamesIndustry.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 09 November 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

I expect over 400k, maybe close to 500k PS5s sold in this current week with God of War.

Kakadu18 said:

I expect over 400k, maybe close to 500k PS5s sold in this current week with God of War.

Definitely possible. I haven't gotten any data yet. God of War week should easily beat CoD week. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2022 Sales Comparison Charts Through October 29

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to November 2)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to October 31)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to October 30)

2022 – (Week ending January 8 to October 29)

"Year to date" sales for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2022 versus 2021 and 2022 versus 2020 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S
    • 6.65 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 1,525,113 units (+29.8%)
  • Xbox One
    • 0.04 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 410,142 units (-91.9%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch
    • 12.63 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 3,970,626 units (-23.9%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5
    • 8.27 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,098,485 units (-11.7%)
  • PlayStation 4
    • 0.43 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,536,616 (-78.0%)

I thought ausralia would have been a much bigger market

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 103

This weekly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 31,332,303
  2. PS5: 25,272,353
  3. XSX|S: 17,915,345

Through the first 103 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 6.06 million units units and is 13.42 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 7.36 million units.

The Switch has sold 31.33 million in 103 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 245.27 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 17.92 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 103 weeks, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 42.1 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 33.9 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 24.0 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. Switch: 10,996,563
  2. PS5: 9,125,440
  3. XSX|S: 8,345,666

Through the first 103 weeks available in the US the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 1.87 million units and is 2.65 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.78 million units.

The Switch has sold 11.00 million in 103 weeks in the US, while the PS5 sold 9.13 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 8.35 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 103 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 38.6 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 32.1 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 29.3 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (102 weeks):

1. PS5: 8,729,765
  2. Switch: 7,920,981
  3. XSX|S: 4,820,524

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 102 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.81 million units and is 3.91 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 3.10 million units.

The PS5 has sold 8.73 million in 102 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 7.92 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 4.82 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 102 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 40.7 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 36.9 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.4 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 7,491,793
  2. PS5: 2,067,382
  3. XSX|S: 378,954

Through the first 103 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.42 million units and is 7.11 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.69 million units.

The Switch has sold 7.49 million units in 103 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 2.07 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.38 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 103 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 75.4 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 20.8 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 3.8 percent.

Share the article here.

PS5 Best-Selling Console in Europe in October 2022, Xbox Series X|S Only Console With Sales Up

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II took first place on the Europe charts for October 2022, according to GSD data reported by GamesIndustry.  Sales were up a massive 125 percent compared to 2021's Call of Duty: Vanguard.

After just two weeks on sale Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II is on the verge of outselling lifetime sales of Call of Duty: Vanguard in Europe. It is already the third best-selling game in 2022, just behind Elden Ring.

FIFA 23 came in second place, however, it had a good month as sales were up by four percent compared to last year's FIFA 22.

Gotham Knights debuted in fourth place with a launch similar to last year's Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy. Sales for Gotham Knights are 13 percent lower than the Marvel game.

Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope debuted in fifth place with sales up 7.5 percent in its first two weeks compared to 2017's Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Victoria 3 debuted in ninth place, A Plague Tale: Requiem debuted in 12th place, Bayonetta 3 debuted in 14th place, NHL 23 debuted in 17th place, and Persona 5 Royal debuted in 18th place.

There were a total of 11.9 million games sold in October across Europe, which is an increase of 1.5 percent year-on-year. 6.84 million games were digital sales, while physical game sales dropped 13 percent.

There were 367,821 video game consoles sold across Europe in October. However, it should be noted the hardware charts exclude two major European countries - the UK and Germany. 

Console sales were down 33 percent compared to October 2021. This is mainly due to the Nintendo Switch OLED Model launching last year.

The PlayStation 5 was the best-selling console in the tracked European markets and is the first time since September 2021 the Switch wasn't number one. PlayStation 5 sales were just ahead of the Nintendo Switch.

The Xbox Series X|S was in third place, however, it is the only console to see sales up year-on-year in October. Sales for the Xbox Series X|S were up over 26 percent compared to October 2021.

There were more than 1.18 million accessories sold in Europe, which is down over 13 percent compared to last year.

Top 20 Games in Europe in October 2022, according to GSD (Digital + Physical):

PositionTitle
1Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (Activision Blizzard)
2FIFA 23 (EA)
3Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
4Gotham Knights (Warner Bros)
5Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope (Ubisoft)
6Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
7Splatoon 3 (Nintendo)*
8NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
9Victoria 3 (Paradox)
10Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
11Fallout 4 (Bethesda)
12A Plague Tale: Requiem (Focus Home Entertainment)
13F1 22 (EA/Codemasters)
14Bayonetta 3* (Nintendo)
15Metro Exodus (Deep Silver)
16Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo)*
17NHL 23 (EA)
18Persona 5 Royal (Sega)
19Horizon: Forbidden West (Sony)
20Gran Turismo 7 (Sony)

* Digital data unavailable

GSD digital data includes games from participating companies sold via Steam, Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Nintendo Eshop. Major participating companies are Activision Blizzard, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Codemasters, Electronic Arts, Embracer Group (including Gearbox, Koch Media, Sabre Interactive), Focus Entertainment, Konami, Marvellous Games, Microids, Microsoft (including Bethesda), Milestone, Nacon, Paradox Interactive, Quantic Dream, Sega, Sony, Square Enix, Take-Two, Ubisoft and Warner Bros. Nintendo and 505 Games are the notable absentees, alongside smaller studios.

Digital data includes games sold in Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, UAE ion>and United Kingdom.

Physical data includes all games, but only those sold in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and United Kingdom.

Console hardware sales cover Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. Accessories sales cover the same markets, but doesn't include Switzerland.

Small adjustments are needed following this Europe report. In the Europe markets covered (Basically taking our Europe figures and subtracting UK, Germany, and Other Europe) we have PS5 and Switch too high by ~17K each, and XS just ~600 too low. We do have PS5 about 3K ahead of Switch, which matches the article saying PS5 is just ahead of Switch. So PS5 and Switch adjustment down will be the about the same. We have 402,996 consoles sold in October, which is ~35K too high.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 11 November 2022

KratosLives said:

I thought ausralia would have been a much bigger market

ausralia is a small market made up of one man and his dog and the dog is the gamer, now it's near neighbour Australia while bigger only services 25 million people  but according to Sony during the PS1/2  era it had the highest per capita PlayStation sales in the world, and PlayStation Australia Head at that time Michael Ephraim stated he used that fact when talking pricing with Japan to keep games pretty much on par with the US, but present day Sony see Australia and Oceania as a captive market that they can exploit and funnily enough that exploitation has in the case of new release games lead me away from digital back toward boxed games.

It is now common to find new release first party boxed games $30.00 au under the $109.00 au retail price for example I bought both boxed PS4 versions of Horizon Forbidden West and GT7 For $79.00 each with the $158.00 total being a saving of $60.00 au on both and upgraded them using the free PS5 upgrade.

Now if I had simply bought both PS5 versions it would have set me back $258 for the pair instead of the $158.00 I spent so a  saving of $100.00 on those two  games, someone's making money and I wonder who could that possibly be?

Last edited by mjk45 - on 11 November 2022

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

PS5 going to beast this holiday