By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 51, 2023 (Dec 11 - Dec 17)

Mario Wonder doing the most with the time it has released in. Switch is on it's way out and new releases tend to have a hard time finding an audience when they release too late in a console cycle. ToTK had no problems but i think some families will go passed Wonder and maybe Nintendo should have released it earlier. I don't think NSMBU was a necessary port. But i feel like with a deadline maybe Wonder wouldn't have been as good as it was with how much creativity the team put into it.

As for people talking about declines, i do agree. Switch will have a brutal decline for sure. Software next year will be mostly fillers, they might end up surprisingly good but they won't drive consoles off the shelves (maybe TTYD a little).
For the PS5, i do think it had a pretty solid titles this year, especially a new FF which is big in Japan, but idk i feel like there isn't much excitement going into next year in the games coming. So i think the PS5 will probably peak this year in Japan and WW as it had it's biggest IP release and was riding the wave of God of War last year and the TLOU show + remaster combo. So i think sales will slow down a little next year and will stabilize in 2025 with GTA 6 but then decline a lot after that.

Around the Network

Switch will sell 4 million in Japan this year and about 3.5 - 3.6 million on 2024.

Next year is going to be grim.

Tober said:

Is Dragon Quest Monsters a Switch only game? I would have expected it also on PlayStation and chart somewhere.

It is indeed only on Switch

Possibly a PC port later, though nothing has been announced, just some rumours at best, hopium at worse

Kneetos said:
Tober said:

Is Dragon Quest Monsters a Switch only game? I would have expected it also on PlayStation and chart somewhere.

It is indeed only on Switch

Possibly a PC port later, though nothing has been announced, just some rumours at best, hopium at worse

This far, the last DQ game, Treasures, only released so far on Nintendo Switch and Microsoft Windows so don't know if it'll receive any type of port to the PS5 and Xbox soon but I'm guessing this isn't going to be an immediate thing.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

Interestingly the holiday boost never kicked in for PS5 either; even compared to last year when it was still supply constrained it's down by 40% YOY this week. Weird holiday all around really.

Also, Momotaro just celebrated hitting 1 million including digital: https://www.gonintendo.com/contents/30164-momotaro-dentetsu-the-earth-spins-with-hope-cracks-1-million-sold

curl-6 said:

Interestingly the holiday boost never kicked in for PS5 either; even compared to last year when it was still supply constrained it's down by 40% YOY this week. Weird holiday all around really.

Also, Momotaro just celebrated hitting 1 million including digital: https://www.gonintendo.com/contents/30164-momotaro-dentetsu-the-earth-spins-with-hope-cracks-1-million-sold

Welp, another million third party game on Switch in Japan alone 

Still have to wonder why they've never tried to localize it to the West despite its immense popularity there ?

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

curl-6 said:

You say that as if because of the supply constraints last year PS5 should easily be up this week. When actually the supply constraints last year is exactly why PS5 is down this week. Week 50 had poor supply, only selling 18k. So Week 51 which got good supply was boosted by pent-up demand and thus beat this year.

It's true though that neither the Switch nor the PS5 seems to have enjoyed much of a holiday boost. I think the reason for this could be the abnormally high sales both consoles have enjoyed recently. PS5 sales have been crazy all year for a PS home console. Switch sales exploded over the summer. For the first 18 weeks Switch was down YoY by 28%, yet over the next 18 weeks it was up YoY by 21%. Switch's performance May onwards was very impressive.

If we were comparing these sales to Feb/March/Apr levels then we would definitely see a nice holiday boost, but because Switch got such a big boost in the months following TOTK launch that seems to have worn off now it's made the holiday sales look somewhat muted by comparison.

Zippy6 said:
curl-6 said:

You say that as if because of the supply constraints last year PS5 should easily be up this week. When actually the supply constraints last year is exactly why PS5 is down this week. Week 50 had poor supply, only selling 18k. So Week 51 which got good supply was boosted by pent-up demand and thus beat this year.

It's true though that neither the Switch nor the PS5 seems to have enjoyed much of a holiday boost. I think the reason for this could be the abnormally high sales both consoles have enjoyed recently. PS5 sales have been crazy all year for a PS home console. Switch sales exploded over the summer. For the first 18 weeks Switch was down YoY by 28%, yet over the next 18 weeks it was up YoY by 21%. Switch's performance May onwards was very impressive.

If we were comparing these sales to Feb/March/Apr levels then we would definitely see a nice holiday boost, but because Switch got such a big boost in the months following TOTK launch that seems to have worn off now it's made the holiday sales look somewhat muted by comparison.

I more meant compared to the Christmas season in prior years, but that is a good point, both systems may have simply "borrowed" those sales earlier in the year, so that some of those who'd usually purchase in December already did so in May or October.

Switch seems to be reaching saturation at this stage, while the pent up demand for the PS5 driven by it being unavailable for so long seems to have worn off. Hopefully Switch 2 arrives next year to reinvigorate the Japanese market.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 December 2023

Tober said:

Looks like next Famitsu update is January 11th. This would mean no update the next 2 weeks. It will not be easy to understand the December numbers unless Famitsu will specify on the 11th and not lumpsum 3 weeks.

So we are not having Famitsu update on December 28th nor January 4th ? And we are getting numbers for 3 weeks at once on Jan 11th ?

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 22 December 2023

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts