By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 38.4 Million Units as of March 2023, Sets Video Game Record for March Quarter

I saw that they are allocating 20% more in their acquisition budget for the next fiscal year?

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

I'm going to assume people are no longer skeptical of the ps5 hitting 100 million.

Barring some catastrophe it's easily surpassing the PS4 IMO.

Kyuu said:

And by a decent margin. Not to mention at a damn high pricetag.

Not gonna lie though, everything outside hardware is a bit disappointing. Seems like PS4's decline is still keeping up with PS5's rapid growth. Sony expects a decline in first party software sales in FY2023, which suggests they don't have any big games coming this year outside Spider-Man 2 and maybe live service F2P's. Did they share their PC software results?

Declining first party software sales is not that surprising TBH. 

Even if we assume SpiderMan 2 outsells Ragnarok and HFW combined, there still is GT7 to account for, and TLOU Part I which has seen a tremendous boost due to the HBO show, as well as potential live service games that may be F2P.

Blood_Tears said:

I saw that they are allocating 20% more in their acquisition budget for the next fiscal year?

"Expenses associated with acquisitions since FY22, including Bungie, Inc.
(“Bungie”), that will impact operating income for the current fiscal year,
are expected to increase approximately 20% year-on-year to be 65
billion yen."

I think they are saying that expenses from acquisitions they have already made will be 20% higher this fiscal year then last fiscal year. I don't know how it works I guess they didn't pay Bungie all at once and the amount is spread out so they are still paying for Bungie this fiscal year.

Incredible quarter, and overall healthy year, for Sony/PlayStation:

- PlayStation 5 now holds the industry record for most shipped consoles in non holiday quarters
- 43.5M units of first party software sold in FY22
- Forecasting 25M PlayStation 5's to be shipped in FY23
- Sony generated over 85B in revenue for FY22
- Sony made just under 7B in profit for FY22

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
Chrkeller said:

I'm going to assume people are no longer skeptical of the ps5 hitting 100 million.

Barring some catastrophe it's easily surpassing the PS4 IMO.

Agreed.  Many overreacted to the shortages.

47.4 million Playstation plus users, I wonder how many are extra and premium users?

PotentHerbs said:

Incredible quarter, and overall healthy year, for Sony/PlayStation:

- PlayStation 5 now holds the industry record for most shipped consoles in non holiday quarters

You mean only for PS consoles ? or in general ? cuz DS and switch have quorter more than 6.3 that are non holiday too.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

yo33331 said:

You mean only for PS consoles ? or in general ? cuz DS and switch have quorter more than 6.3 that are non holiday too.

Overall record. 

PotentHerbs said:
yo33331 said:

Overall record. 

For the Jan-Mar quarter yes, PS5 now has the record, but you said non-holiday quarter. DS has 4 non-holiday quarters higher than 6.3, and Switch has 1.