By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 38.4 Million Units as of March 2023, Sets Video Game Record for March Quarter

If Sony meets their forecast of 25m for this fiscal year they will overtake the PS4 and Switch for launch aligned shipments. Edit: Correction it is already ahead of Switch shipments as of now, but would still be ahead this time next year if they ship at least 23.1m.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 28 April 2023

Around the Network

I am disappointed that profits are so low, but I wonder if R&D costs, which are 100 billion yen higher than last year, are having an impact.

PS5 Pro related ?

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

I am disappointed that profits are so low, but I wonder if R&D costs, which are 100 billion yen higher than last year, are having an impact.

PS5 Pro related ?

If the Bungie acquisition of $3.7 Billion is taken into account then that would explain it. Also lower third party software sales and yes higher R&D spending.

Zippy6 said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

PS5 Pro related ?

If the Bungie acquisition of $3.7 Billion is taken into account then that would explain it. Also lower third party software sales and yes higher R&D spending.

I think there's also the cost of acquiring Bungie.

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 28 April 2023

Operating profit last year was around $2.54 Billion and this year about $1.84 Billion so I'm going to assume Bungie Acquisition isn't included as that would put this years profits ridiculously high.

Software units might be down this year but software revenue is up so I imagine software isn't to blame either. But this year they spent $1.99 Billion on R&D and last year they spent $1.29 Billion so without the increase in R&D profits would remain about the same.

I think it's safe to assume that PS5 hardware sales are still not profitable to any meaningful degree.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
Zippy6 said:

There's not necessarily nothing else big coming. Remember that 2022 had: Uncharted Collection, Gran Turismo 7, Horizon Forbidden West, TLOU Part 1 and God of War Ragnarok.

Spiderman 2 and another major title isn't necessarily covering all that. But it depends on what you consider a "big game".

I guess by big game I mean 10 million + sellers (lifetime). Sony's software sales on Playstation have been declining for how long now? 3 years? I was half expecting them to pick up by this point.

Software prices are up, now AAA games costs 70 USD at release, when I got my PS4 except by new releases I had dozens of options for buying for like 20 USD, generally older games. 

Software sales are going to be affected by Ps plus extra….. tbh

mM
Zippy6 said:

If Sony meets their forecast of 25m for this fiscal year they will overtake the PS4 and Switch for launch aligned shipments.

That 71.3 million PS2 number is after 17 quarters.

ShadowLink93 said:

That 71.3 million PS2 number is after 17 quarters.

Yeah my bad I looked at the USA release date instead of the Japanese one.