By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 38.4 Million Units as of March 2023, Sets Video Game Record for March Quarter

Highly impressive quarter, based on their 25m estimate for the next year I am guessing the current quarter was essentially them shipping everything they could possibly make to hopefully alleviate the pent up demand. So I imagine next 2 quarters will be in the 4-5m range to save a little extra for the holidays. Still huge of course and 1 or both quarters will break prior Playstation records.

Around the Network

Anything on PSVR2 numbers?

Zippy6 said:
Kyuu said:

I guess by big game I mean 10 million + sellers (lifetime). Sony's software sales on Playstation have been declining for how long now? 3 years? I was half expecting them to pick up by this point.

First party sales were about the same this FY so we can mainly attribute the drop in software sales to a 3rd party decline. If it wasn't for Hogwarts it would have been even larger. 

The major games:

Resident Evil Village - May 2021
Mass Effect Legendary - May 2021
Fifa 22 - October 2021
Far Cry 6 - October 2021
Back 4 Blood - October 2021
Call of Duty Vanguard - November 2021
GTA Trilogy - November 2021
Battlefield 2042 - November 2021
Dying Light 2 - February 2022
Elden Ring - February 2022
GTA V (PS5/XSX) - March 2022
Tiny Tina's Wonderland - March 2022

Lego Star Wars: Skywalker Saga - April 2022
Saints Row (lol) - August 2022
Fifa 23 - September 2022
A Plauge Tale: Requiem - October 2022
Gotham Knights - October 2022
Call of Duty Modern Warfare II - October 2022
Need for Speed Unbound - December 2022
Monster Hunter Rise - January 2023
Forspoken - January 2023
Dead Space - January 2023
Hogwarts Legacy - February 2023
Resident Evil 4 - March 2023

I think last FY easily wins that battle. Battlefield 2042 while not being received well was one of the highest grossing games of the year in the USA. RE Village also counted for almost 12 months while RE4 for this year got about a week of sales. Forspoken, Deadspace, Gotham Knights and Saints Row were all sales dissapointments and MHR is unlikely to have sold that well on PS4/PS5 considering how late a release it was. So all around it was a very poor year for third party sales.

So 1st party software performance is the lowest since 2019. And good chance this fiscal year will be their lowest since 2017. I mean these are by no means shocking results all things considered, but they are somewhat disappointing, the forecast especially. I still expect them to beat their last gen 1st party totals (due to PS4's slow start), but I don't know if they'll ever approach 50 million a year on PS5 alone.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Kyuu said:

I guess by big game I mean 10 million + sellers (lifetime). Sony's software sales on Playstation have been declining for how long now? 3 years? I was half expecting them to pick up by this point.

Software prices are up, now AAA games costs 70 USD at release, when I got my PS4 except by new releases I had dozens of options for buying for like 20 USD, generally older games. 

In addition to this, Sony now fully supports PC and is expanding mainly towards live service games which some (F2P) will not be represented under 1st party sales. Also, software sales (contrary to Playstation hardware) in FY 2020 were probably inflated by COVID. Services/PS+ Extra might hurt sales as well. Still... I was expecting a little more.

drkohler said:

Sadly nothing on PS VR2 sales from Sony. Reports are showing sales are low so far. But it has only been available via PlayStation Direct. Once it is available at retailers I see sales picking up. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Thank you for sharing.

Around the Network

70% of software sales are digital now.

How low can physical go?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:

70% of software sales are digital now.

How low can physical go?

Considering this quarter last year was 71% digital, it would seem the digital encroachment is flattening,  

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trunkswd said:
drkohler said:

Sadly nothing on PS VR2 sales from Sony. Reports are showing sales are low so far. But it has only been available via PlayStation Direct. Once it is available at retailers I see sales picking up. 

I'm not sure. People are complaining that the PS VR2 still don't have enough good games and the price is way too high.

But I want it's sales to pick up.

HigHurtenflurst said:

Highly impressive quarter, based on their 25m estimate for the next year I am guessing the current quarter was essentially them shipping everything they could possibly make to hopefully alleviate the pent up demand. So I imagine next 2 quarters will be in the 4-5m range to save a little extra for the holidays. Still huge of course and 1 or both quarters will break prior Playstation records.

I think their holiday to the final quarter (FYQ3+4) is going to be off the back of the PS5 slim.

Slim at $299... of going to be a totally different kinda beast.

Intrinsic said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

I think their holiday to the final quarter (FYQ3+4) is going to be off the back of the PS5 slim.

Slim at $299... of going to be a totally different kinda beast.

Honestly if they were going to sell the new model at $299 I think they'd have supply issues even with 25m shipped. I don't see that happening especially as the base PS5 received price increases in some areas. The digital PS5 is already going to be losing them money per sale and I doubt they can produce this new model for $100 less than it.

I expect the Slim PS5 will cost the same as the Digital PS5. So $399 for it, and then $49-$99 for the disk addon. If the addon costs $49 then that would amount to a $50 price cut on the PS5 Disc Edition.

Sony noted a "decrease in losses from hardware" for this Fiscal Year just gone which would suggest they still lost money on hardware overall. Next year they are forecasting an "improvement in hardware profitability" so a substantial price cut is very unlikely.