By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Explode, Deals Boost Xbox Series X|S - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Nov 13-19

The Switch only needs to sell slightly more than 1 million systems to pass the PS4's lifetime total.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2022 Sales Comparison Charts Through November 19

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to November 23)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to November 21)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to November 20)

2022 – (Week ending January 8 to November 19)

"Year to date" sales for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2022 versus 2021 and 2022 versus 2020 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S
    • 7.39 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 1,610,245 units (+27.9%)
  • Xbox One
    • 0.04 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 422,092 units (-92.0%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch
    • 14.28 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 4,134,942 units (-22.5%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5
    • 9.49 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 758,473 units (-7.4%)
  • PlayStation 4
    • 0.45 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,606,637 (-78.3%)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Switch needs to sell just over 2 million more by year's end to beat their 2018 total, and 5 million to beat 2019.
Barring a major tracking error or a lacklustre holiday, it's looking like Switch will lead the year in sales one last time before passing the mantle.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 29 November 2022

Pokemon really does a number on the hardware sales. I am mainly concerned, however with December as last year saw pretty much no growth in December. Do you think the PS5 or Xbox Series will win Black Friday (not counting Switch as I am pretty sure it will be 1st)?

I guess we will see a spike in PS4 sales soon. Sony gotta sell them somehow.

Around the Network
nintendocentral said:

Pokemon really does a number on the hardware sales. I am mainly concerned, however with December as last year saw pretty much no growth in December. Do you think the PS5 or Xbox Series will win Black Friday (not counting Switch as I am pretty sure it will be 1st)?

That's definitely not guaranteed, Black Friday, as well as NPD, are going to be a toss up.

Sogreblute said:

I guess we will see a spike in PS4 sales soon. Sony gotta sell them somehow.

this will be interesting.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 106

This weekly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 32,066,435
  2. PS5: 26,489,789
  3. XSX|S: 18,659,494

Through the first 106 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.58 million units units and is 13.41 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 7.83 million units.

The Switch has sold 32.07 million in 106 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 26.49 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 18.66 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 105 weeks, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 41.5 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 34.3 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 24.2 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. Switch: 11,232,713
  2. PS5: 9,696,796
  3. XSX|S: 8,716,016

Through the first 106 weeks available in the US the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 1.54 million units and is 2.52 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.98 million units.

The Switch has sold 11.23 million in 106 weeks in the US, while the PS5 sold 9.70 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 8.72 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 106 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 37.9 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 32.7 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 29.4 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (105 weeks):

1. PS5: 9,047,878
  2. Switch: 8,086,894
  3. XSX|S: 5,022,825

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 105 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.96 million units and is 4.03 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 3.06 million units.

The PS5 has sold 9.05 million in 105 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 9.05 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 5.02 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 105 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 40.8 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 36.5 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.7 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 7,690,904
  2. PS5: 2,141,266
  3. XSX|S: 384,374

Through the first 106 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.55 million units and is 7.31 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.76 million units.

The Switch has sold 7.69 million units in 106 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 2.14 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.38 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 106 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 75.3 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 21.0 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 3.7 percent.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I am doing another one of my streams going over the latest gaming news, then playing some Animal Crossing. If you miss it, the "Game News Roundup" will be up on YouTube later tonight. 

https://www.twitch.tv/trunkswd

trunkswd said:

I am doing another one of my streams going over the latest gaming news, then playing some Animal Crossing. If you miss it, the "Game News Roundup" will be up on YouTube later tonight. 

https://www.twitch.tv/trunkswd

If you missed me going over the latest gaming news the video is now live. Anyone who has subbed. Thank you! I am getting closer to 10,000!