By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Explode, Deals Boost Xbox Series X|S - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Nov 13-19

Interesting numbers, especially the ones in Oceania, PS5 was in stock in Australia at the majority of retailers physical and online, and still was down compared to last week, but the official data from the companies will tell the whole picture.

IMHO, I do predict The Switch will be down YOY, and both PS5 and Xbox Series Up compared to last year's BF

Last edited by kazuyamishima - on 28 November 2022

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
super_etecoon said:

My Target has had their Switch section overflowing. Was wondering if there was too much stock given the idea that many people believe that everyone who wants a Switch already has one.

Case was empty except for 3 OLEDs when I went there yesterday. I can even imagine some kids who were too young to game when the Switch came out just now getting their first chance at their first console. These legs will be long. Let’s go Nintendo!

Switch isn't done yet. At least with Pokemon launching. I haven't run any numbers for Black Friday week as next to nothing has come in. But I wouldn't be surprised if they are flat or only down slightly compared to last year. 

I think Nintendo shipped a lot of those Mario Kart bundles. It's been at #2 on the hourly charts on Amazon since Thursday, and hasnt gone out of stock yet. Other retailers still have it in stock as well.

Random, I've also noticed there were two MK8D bundles shipped. A red box Switch with a MK8D sticker on the front (Gamestop, Amazon), and a new smaller box Switch with the MK8 artwork all over (Target, Best Buy, Wal-Mart)

Smashing week for the Switch, really shows to show that even at this late stage the right game can still move hardware.

Xbox starting to perk up again after trailing further behind for a while; should be a great holiday season for all three current gen systems.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 28 November 2022

I am live right now on Twitch going over the latest VGChartz estimates and gaming news, followed by some Animal Crossing New Horizons. 

https://www.twitch.tv/trunkswd

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Seriously though, what the hell is Sony doing with all those PS5 consoles? They say they produced 6.5M last quarter, so assuming a similar pace, they should be able to get 500k consoles out there each week. And then they supposedly have the 3.3M stockpile on top of that. Are they just saving everything for Black Friday and onward? Because while supply has gotten better, they are currently still not meeting demand.

Around the Network

I Can see switch selling 120M at end of year... The question is if the next year will be enough to approach to NDS and PS2.

trunkswd said:

I am live right now on Twitch going over the latest VGChartz estimates and gaming news, followed by some Animal Crossing New Horizons. 

https://www.twitch.tv/trunkswd

If you missed me going over the latest VGChartz estimates and gaming news the video is now live on YouTube.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

And this is exactly why anyone is kidding themselves if they think we’re getting a switch successor anytime before q4 2024 at the absolute earliest. I wouldn’t even be shocked if it’s as late as 2026, though in that case we will 100% be getting a “pro” upgrade (prob launching with TotK and announced around Feb).

And I’m still on board over ps2 lt sales, with or without the “pro.”

HyrulianScrolls said:

And this is exactly why anyone is kidding themselves if they think we’re getting a switch successor anytime before q4 2024 at the absolute earliest. I wouldn’t even be shocked if it’s as late as 2026, though in that case we will 100% be getting a “pro” upgrade (prob launching with TotK and announced around Feb).

And I’m still on board over ps2 lt sales, with or without the “pro.”

I don’t think selling 770K units the week of a Pokémon launch during the holiday sales season is particularly indicative of Nintendo’s timelines. And there’s not even a correlation argument between high holiday season sales either considering around the same week 3 months before the 3DS launch the DS sold 1.3 million units, and without a Pokémon game. The same week a year later the Wii sold over 860,000 units the year before the Wii U launch.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

archbrix said:

Switch had this week in the bag but what surprises me most is the huge increase in XS. I knew those deals would help, but I didn't think we'd see this kind of jump this week.

Next week will be very interesting. My money's on Switch to win globally, but the US is basically up for grabs.

Doesn't surprise me. The PS5/XS consoles are still supply-limited. Anything at all, be that increased supply or even better, deals at this time will greatly influence sales.

I don't get the Switch saturation argument. I tend to look at the switch as I did the Nintendo DS. Its one of those halo products that never reach sales saturation because of the kinda core market it has. There are always going to be new 8-10yr olds that parents are trying to buy a switch for. I mean first switch I bought was for my nephew, the second was for myself, third was for my godson. I literally have bought three switch consoles. Practically one a year. But only one PS5.