By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Explode, Deals Boost Xbox Series X|S - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Nov 13-19

I find it highly unlikely that the PS5 sold less than last week (except for Japan somehow). Clearly it is under estimated. I'm going make a wild prediction now and say it Won NPD.

Around the Network

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/nintendo-switch-was-the-best-selling-games-console-during-uk-black-friday

UK Black Friday week:

- Switch # 1 with 42% of the consoles sold, followed by 40% Xbox Series (thanks due to the Series S being £189), PS5 accounted for 18% of the total sales.
- All three consoles had their “biggest weeks” of the year during BF 2022 period

- Nintendo Switch BF 2022 is WAY Down compared to BF 2021.

kazuyamishima said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/nintendo-switch-was-the-best-selling-games-console-during-uk-black-friday

UK Black Friday week:

- Switch # 1 with 42% of the consoles sold, followed by 40% Xbox Series (thanks due to the Series S being £189), PS5 accounted for 18% of the total sales.
- All three consoles had their “biggest weeks” of the year during BF 2022 period

I am very confused by those PS5 sales. What even happened to the 3.2 million or so PS5s Sony had stockpiled at the end of September.

The article mentions total consoles sold was about the same as last year in the UK. With that in mind doing some quick math with our estimates from last year and using that total we get this for 2022 Black Friday week in the UK:

NS: 77,558 (Down from 112,137)

XS: 73,865 (Up from 37,696)

PS5: 33,239 (Down from 34,831)

Not looking great for the PS5. At least in Europe. Will know more when Spain data comes in. Japan looks great for PS5 at least. 

Japan Black Friday week Famitsu sales:

NS: 156,127 (up from 122,573)

PS5: 50,920 (Up from 8,897)

XS: 11,939 (Up from 633)

Last edited by trunkswd - on 01 December 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

"Nintendo Switch will no longer see boosts from major franchise releases, because everyone who plays those franchises already has a Switch"

Despite the fact that Gen 9 is the second gen of Pokemon on Switch and the umpteenth Pokemon release on Switch, it looks like it gave a big bump for the Switch this week.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:

"Nintendo Switch will no longer see boosts from major franchise releases, because everyone who plays those franchises already has a Switch"

Yeah this one has been disproven very thoroughly over the Switch's lifespan, I remember folks saying as far back as 2018 that Nintendo games wouldn't move hardware anymore because every Nintendo fan already bought one for BOTW and Mario Odyssey in 2017.

Maybe not before but now that the UK sales numbers are out, I am pretty sure that the Switch has won Black Friday if it wins one of its weakest regions, the UK and of course Japan which gives extra units for Nintendo considering Sony's and Microsoft's market position in Japan.

kazuyamishima said:

UK Black Friday week:

The vast majority was from the "Series S".
And at that price, I cant blame them (the buyers).
I kinda wish Sony had done the same (I still dont have a PS5, 2 years in).

Like 4k isnt as big a deal as many make it out to be.
A much cheaper smaller PS5, that like the series S, only played games 1080p-1440p, would have been nice.
It shows that Xbox went the right direction, when they made the X/S.

Esp as inflation is creeping up on us, and everything is going up in prices.
People have less disposeable income to go buy gameing systems with, and games.

JRPGfan said:

The vast majority was from the "Series S".
And at that price, I cant blame them (the buyers).
I kinda wish Sony had done the same (I still dont have a PS5, 2 years in).

Like 4k isnt as big a deal as many make it out to be.
A much cheaper smaller PS5, that like the series S, only played games 1080p-1440p, would have been nice.
It shows that Xbox went the right direction, when they made the X/S.

Esp as inflation is creeping up on us, and everything is going up in prices.
People have less disposeable income to go buy gameing systems with, and games.

I mean, Sony does have a cheaper version of the PS5, the digital edition PS5. They just aren't in abundance like the Series S. 

Mandalore76 said:

I can admit I’m one of the people that have said something along those lines earlier this year…

Yeah I was wrong.