By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Explode, Deals Boost Xbox Series X|S - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Nov 13-19

archbrix said:

Switch had this week in the bag but what surprises me most is the huge increase in XS. I knew those deals would help, but I didn't think we'd see this kind of jump this week.

Next week will be very interesting. My money's on Switch to win globally, but the US is basically up for grabs.

A full week of the Xbox Series S promotion and some retailers lowering it even further and the Series X being available for $400 on the MS Store on Instagram makes me think the Xbox Series X|S will be #1 in the US for Black Friday week. Nintendo had the same deal as in previous years, so I wouldn't expect sales for it to be up compared to last year. Mind you this is before I have any real data for last week. So we shall see. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
archbrix said:

Switch had this week in the bag but what surprises me most is the huge increase in XS. I knew those deals would help, but I didn't think we'd see this kind of jump this week.

Next week will be very interesting. My money's on Switch to win globally, but the US is basically up for grabs.

A full week of the Xbox Series S promotion and some retailers lowering it even further and the Series X being available for $400 on the MS Store on Instagram makes me think the Xbox Series X|S will be #1 in the US for Black Friday week. Nintendo had the same deal as in previous years, so I wouldn't expect sales for it to be up compared to last year. Mind you this is before I have any real data for last week. So we shall see. 

Yeah, you're probably right.  I had kind of figured that, due to Xbox's relatively weak lineup this year, sales might reflect that compared to the competition but that doesn't seem to be the case with those great deals.  One should never underestimate Xbox in the US.

CourageTCD said:

Do you think the Switch can reach 20 millions by the end of the year?

Yes, this is exactly what I think it can reach this year. Between 18 and 20M. Final total after adjustments I mean, so no, by the middle of january we won't know the final number total for 2022 for Switch. We will probably know it after the quorter report with the adjustments or even later in the year since 2021 for example was over 25.3M at middle january when the last week of decemer data came out. Then after the quorter report becomed exactly 25M and around maybe summer ? it was finally adjusted down to 24.7M. So 600k adjustment in about half a year time. So the final and 100% answer we will get by september 2023. This will be the time when we can be sure 100% that the number total is as close as possible to the real one and that no more adjustments will be made (or at least not big ones)

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/452228/ps5-vs-xbox-series-xs-vs-switch-sales-comparison-charts-through-january-1/

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 28 November 2022

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

archbrix said:
trunkswd said:

Yeah, you're probably right.  I had kind of figured that, due to Xbox's relatively weak lineup this year, sales might reflect that compared to the competition but that doesn't seem to be the case with those great deals.  One should never underestimate Xbox in the US.

US is by far the strongest market for the Xbox relatively to the rest of the world. While PS5 and Switch sales are more spread out. The Xbox 360 is the 3rd best-selling video game platform in North America, behind the DS and PS2. https://www.vgchartz.com/charts/platform_totals/Hardware.php/?sort=NA

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

PS5 and Xbox Series S/X are so close, I wonder how much of this is due to supply constraints on the PS5's part? I still haven't actually seen one in a store, and only rarely in stock online.

Around the Network

Pokemon really is a sales monster. We've already had the Let's Go games, Sword and Shield, and Legends Arceus, so this is the 4th Pokemon game on Switch not counting spinoffs. And it still boosted sales this much when the system has otherwise seen its best days already.

trunkswd said:
archbrix said:

What was the Nintendo deal ? Having the right ro buy it full price ?

Mummelmann said:

PS5 and Xbox Series S/X are so close, I wonder how much of this is due to supply constraints on the PS5's part? I still haven't actually seen one in a store, and only rarely in stock online.

It's been over 2 years now and I still never saw a PS5 in stores (unlike the Series S and more recently the X) so I guess a pretty big impact is due to the supply constraints

Nice to see all three above 400k. Hopefully enough PS5 and Xbox Series stock was saved for the next few weeks to completely blow 2021 out the water.

SKMBlake said:
trunkswd said:

What was the Nintendo deal ? Having the right ro buy it full price ?

The Switch coming with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and 3 months of Switch Online at no extra cost.