By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Road to 160m+ for Nintendo Switch

curl-6 said:

I would argue that Switch's sales are actually still pretty mind-blowing in their own right though, in the context that it has to share the market with everything from phones and tablets on the mobile side to Playstation and Xbox on the home console side.

With so many other options for one's gaming fix nowadays, a single platform tracking to outsell the DS, something no other system released in the last 23 years has come close to doing, it darn impressive in my opinion.

Of course it is. I've never stated otherwise. It's closing in not only on DS, but on the best selling game console to date - PS2 after all. Even in the case of not reaching it it would still be very impressive performance. I really like how the system is full of games, just like back in the days, PS2, PS3 and PS4 were (and even xbox I would say). So to be modern console and to have so big impressive library full of good games is not so hard after all Sony and Microsoft ? They are like resting since the 9th gen started. Hope Switch 2 has backward compatibility though.

Last edited by XtremeBG - 5 days ago

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:

I think people are also missing the fact that 240M combined DS/PSP sales does not mean 240M potential users. How many users had both? I know I did. Anyone else?

I'd imagine there is a lot of overlap. Particularly in Japan.

I did not have a PSP. But... I had three DS. DSLite, Zelda themed DS, DSi XL. And I wasn't the only one with only one model. I only have one Switch. And I think owning multiple models is far less common for Switch. Yet, Switch is still closing in on DS. This is amazing.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

[...]

I only have one Switch. And I think owning multiple models is far less common for Switch. Yet, Switch is still closing in on DS. This is amazing.

I don't know about that. I have three Switch consoles. The normal one, the Lite and the OLED model. And if Nintendo announces a new model, I would sure as hell get it, lol.

But I get that I'm probably not in the majority with that apprach. I do need more than one Switch though, because me and my wife like to work out with Ring Fit Adventure at the same time. Which probably is also a pretty uncommon thing to to. I don't know where the hell I'm going with this.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

I might buy a super lite switch model, like a switch micro. Playing mostly in handheld mode but think the Lite still is to big to be brought with me with ease making the better screen on the OLED-model my preferred switch.
I have bought two switches. The original and the OLED. Gave the old one to my nephew.

Bought 4 DS, the original and 3 Lite models. Still have not used the latest model I bought, keep it if the one I still use will break.

Bought two 3DS as well, upgraded to the New 3DS in hopes that I would like the 3D effect more with the tracking upgrade. I think it is the best way to play in 3D but I still almost never did.

I have however never owned a PSP or Vita. always thought the tech was cool and was low key jelly of my friends who had it back when it was somewhat important to me still to be cool, or at least not being seen as the biggest dork around - something I have no hang-ups around anymore.

OdinHades said:
Mnementh said:

[...]

I only have one Switch. And I think owning multiple models is far less common for Switch. Yet, Switch is still closing in on DS. This is amazing.

I don't know about that. I have three Switch consoles. The normal one, the Lite and the OLED model. And if Nintendo announces a new model, I would sure as hell get it, lol.

But I get that I'm probably not in the majority with that apprach. I do need more than one Switch though, because me and my wife like to work out with Ring Fit Adventure at the same time. Which probably is also a pretty uncommon thing to to. I don't know where the hell I'm going with this.

We have 4 switches in our household.  2 original, 1 lite, and one OLED.  Double dipping is for sure a thing but I'm not sure how widespread it is.  I have almost always bought my oldest child multiple versions of the the same handheld 3ds, 3dsXL.   Hell I bought 4 different PS4s.  Bought my oldest and I one each one Christmas. Then bought a 3rd one for the kids still living with me for downstairs.  Then when COD finished off my original PS4 I bought a PRO.

Around the Network

So it has to sell at least 159.0 millions for us to be completely sure it outsold PS2? Since Sony won't release new updated numbers.

The_Yoda said:
OdinHades said:

We have 4 switches in our household.  2 original, 1 lite, and one OLED.  Double dipping is for sure a thing but I'm not sure how widespread it is.  I have almost always bought my oldest child multiple versions of the the same handheld 3ds, 3dsXL.   Hell I bought 4 different PS4s.  Bought my oldest and I one each one Christmas. Then bought a 3rd one for the kids still living with me for downstairs.  Then when COD finished off my original PS4 I bought a PRO.

So I see I made an error by generalizing my personal experience. Sorry for that. Without a clear indication which one profited more by double-, triple-dipping I would just conclude each of these devices did awesome numbers.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I had both DS and PSP and i know several people that got the PSP because it was the first PS handheld.

Mnementh said:
The_Yoda said:

So I see I made an error by generalizing my personal experience. Sorry for that. Without a clear indication which one profited more by double-, triple-dipping I would just conclude each of these devices did awesome numbers.

Nothing to be sorry about, you only have a couple pieces of anecdotal evidence.  VGChartz members are not a good measuring stick for the average consumer anyway. It is rare to hear where anyone here thinks that they are.

Radek said:

So it has to sell at least 159.0 millions for us to be completely sure it outsold PS2? Since Sony won't release new updated numbers.

No, 162.0m is the threshold for absolute certainty, because that's above the high end of the estimated range for the PS2's lifetime sales.

I'd kinda like to comment on other things going on in this thread recently, but at the same time I can't be bothered to find out what all the fuzz was about in the first place.

Last edited by RolStoppable - 3 days ago

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.