By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 52 & 53, 2023 (Dec 18 - Dec 31)

DonFerrari said:
Jules98 said:

Tbf the PS5 console sales in 2021 were extremely dire, and it's still not looking good tbh. With the recent price hike, the highly anticipated Switch 2 coming up this year, and without the benefit of a pent-up demand sales bump I foresee the PS5 to drop significantly this CY.

The best it have been for PS in 20 years don't look good? Though crowd.

The part where he says without the pent up demand is key to what he is saying. He believes the PS5 has been boosted by the pent up demand and will possibly suffer from it. On top of finishing the year poorly (no holiday bump), the price increase and the successor to the soon to be highest selling system in Japan's history soon to drop, things don't look that rosey. I would also say that the PS5s hardware sales are OK but the software sales are horrific. So saying it's doing well just because of it's current sales look good compared to the past but completely ignoring its software sales being horrific is ridiculous.

Zippy6 said:
Jules98 said:

Tbf the PS5 console sales in 2021 were extremely dire, and it's still not looking good tbh.

This year best sales for a PlayStation home console since 2003 and it's ahead of both the PS3 and PS4 launch aligned but it's not looking good?

I agree with him, no it's not looking good, the holidays saw no bump and the price has increased. The horrific software sales can't just be ignored either. The hardware sales did seem to receive a bump from the pent up demand along with exports but this holiday seems to have ended this. We'll have to see what happens but no it ain't looking good. Wilds is a 2025 release.

Around the Network
Phenomajp13 said:
Zippy6 said:

This year best sales for a PlayStation home console since 2003 and it's ahead of both the PS3 and PS4 launch aligned but it's not looking good?

I agree with him, no it's not looking good, the holidays saw no bump and the price has increased. The horrific software sales can't just be ignored either. The hardware sales did seem to receive a bump from the pent up demand along with exports but this holiday seems to have ended this. We'll have to see what happens but no it ain't looking good. Wilds is a 2025 release.

Well the first couple of months of 2024 will give a good indication on what's going on with those holiday sales. We'll see if there's a significant drop off in the weeks ahead. In terms of the physical software sales being low it's clear that PlayStation in Japan has had a big shift in consumer spending with PS5. The top 3 played games on PlayStation for 2023 in Japan were Apex, Genshin and Fortnite.

Regardless going back to the initial post that started this quote chain he is completely right. People were predicting the PS5 wouldn't cross 7m LT and that much is guaranteed now.

Jules98 said:
Otter said:

I remember in 2021 when some people were predicting the PS5 wouldn't cross 7m LT, some even saying it might not even reach Wii U sales...

Tbf the PS5 console sales in 2021 were extremely dire, and it's still not looking good tbh. With the recent price hike, the highly anticipated Switch 2 coming up this year, and without the benefit of a pent-up demand sales bump I foresee the PS5 to drop significantly this CY.

Sony had their best year ever. PS5 sold 22.55M units (I count November - Oct, because november is the year mark for PS5). This beat the second best Playstation console, which was ~22M by the PS1 (Nov - Oct for its 4th year).

PS5 had a rough 1st and 2nd year compared to PS4, but PS1 and PS2 had it way worse.
I think PS5 will sell either just below 22M or once more at the 22M mark. Ill go with 20M.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Phenomajp13 said:
DonFerrari said:

The best it have been for PS in 20 years don't look good? Though crowd.

The part where he says without the pent up demand is key to what he is saying. He believes the PS5 has been boosted by the pent up demand and will possibly suffer from it. On top of finishing the year poorly (no holiday bump), the price increase and the successor to the soon to be highest selling system in Japan's history soon to drop, things don't look that rosey. I would also say that the PS5s hardware sales are OK but the software sales are horrific. So saying it's doing well just because of it's current sales look good compared to the past but completely ignoring its software sales being horrific is ridiculous.

Zippy6 said:

And when someone is slightly negative about sales potential of Switch or its game you go full ballistic.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Zippy6 said:
Phenomajp13 said:

Well the first couple of months of 2024 will give a good indication on what's going on with those holiday sales. We'll see if there's a significant drop off in the weeks ahead. In terms of the physical software sales being low it's clear that PlayStation in Japan has had a big shift in consumer spending with PS5. The top 3 played games on PlayStation for 2023 in Japan were Apex, Genshin and Fortnite.

Regardless going back to the initial post that started this quote chain he is completely right. People were predicting the PS5 wouldn't cross 7m LT and that much is guaranteed now.

The first couple of months will be telling and save the nonsense excuses about PS software sales. Free to play games shouldn't reck your software that bad, clearly there is something else going on here. Some people believe the exports to other countries contributes to this as well not just free to play. Regardless that's where the 7 million predictions came from, the PS5 doesn't seem very appealing in Japan so people predicted 7 million. Don't think anyone expected exports lol but regardless those people were right in the sense that PS5 clearly isn't very appealing there just looking at the software. PS5 has free to play in the US and the PS5s software sales in the US arent horrendous at all. Switch has free to play as well and the software is the highest in Japan history. 

DonFerrari said:
Phenomajp13 said:

Zippy6 said:

And when someone is slightly negative about sales potential of Switch or its game you go full ballistic.

Dude please, negative about the sales potential is not what I attacked. It makes no sense, why wouldn't I want to see him eat crow? I went after the dishonesty. This has nothing to do with Switch anyways. There is a very larger difference between Switch's incredible run globally (third highest in history already) and PS5's mediocre at best performance in Japan. The software sales are worst than WiiU, that's inexcusable. 

Last edited by Phenomajp13 - on 12 January 2024

Around the Network
Phenomajp13 said:

No, more like people take dishonesty to heart. Regardless his prediction isn't that pessimistic, it should be more accurate now since the console is clearly showing its age. Funny enough in another post he claimed no more than 150 million and now he is saying low 150 millions is possible. So clearly he continues to move the higher bound up and up, something he has been doing for months now.

I haven't moved anything. Stop to rotate my words or predictions. I have always used the world AROUND . What does this mean to you ? As I have written in the post I said high 140s or low 150s at best. AROUND means anywhere near 150s so it can go either way it can go 1-2-3M short or 1-2-3M more. I am using this word pretty much every time, and you can't obligate me to don't use it. I am not pointing exact numbers in my predictions I am giving ranges or numbers where I say AROUND. which means close to it. It can finish of course little bit short or little bit more of it. The only dishonest person here is you. Also even if I was changing my predictions what ? I can change them infinite times if I want to. This does not mean dishonesty or lie. It simply means change. It means the person who does it sees that his prediction may come little shorter or little higher and of course adjust it. However I am not adjusting nothing now here. I have done in the past for the lifetime sales. Firstly I said 135M than the range from 145M to 150M. Many other people change theirs too. And not only 1 time and not only for Switch. Are the liars and dishonest ?

And again I am asking you which exactly is the lie and dishonesty here ? Which exactly. I want to point me exactly which ? The fact that I once give prediction that I changed little bit later ? Is that the lie or dishonest ? Or what ? The only funny thing here is you, how you accuse people and how you are someone anonymous or just don't want to say your previous username cuz everyone can find your profile and take out your old post, which maybe were very dishonesty and lying ones, cuz you only talk about this. And person who is liar and dishonest most times accuse other people of the same.

Phenomajp13 said:

Dude please, negative about the sales potential is not what I attacked. It makes no sense, why wouldn't I want to see him eat crow? I went after the dishonesty. This has nothing to do with Switch anyways. There is a very larger difference between Switch's incredible run globally (third highest in history already) and PS5's mediocre at best performance in Japan. The software sales are worst than WiiU, that's inexcusable. 

The only dishonest thing here is you. You only rotate things how it's comfortable for you and your statements. There is no place I have said something I said before is not true. Again maybe you have, you aren't telling us all who exactly who you have been here on the forum so that we can see your previous posts and see what lies and dishonesty things you have written.

You clearly don't know the meaning of the words " lie " and " dishonesty ". Also I am not sure if the word " lie " or " dishonesty " can exist for the topic you are referring to since the predictions are opinions on something that hasn't happened yet and it's like gambling in a way. You can't lie about something you don't know yet. You are saying my behaviour is so ? And how ? Adjusting the prediction ? Or maybe if I forgotten the exact words I've used 1 year ago or saying in one of the posts range, and the other just lining more to the lower number ? Is that a lie ? cuz yesterday I've said I feel more like Switch number will be close to 3M for the year and in other post I gave 3 to 3.5M range ? So I am lying ? is that it ? or because the year ending not normal for 7th year system and beat the expectations of many (before the start of the year) and it finished in 4M and I am all of a sudden lying ? What about my other predictions ? I've asked you in one of my previous posts, you just ignored it. What about the 2021 one ? what about the other 4/5 ones that I made ? Why are you commenting only 1 ? Maybe you like to only comment on what you are comfortable with and only where you can find something on to hang on to accuse. Ooh and yeah .. I am still waiting for an answer of my last answer to you in the NOV19 thread. What happened ? Your energy for writing left you? Come on.

And just to not be off topic, Great run for Switch(for a system in it's 7th year) and PS5 (given PS performance in Japan) and disappointing one for the XBOX for the year.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 15 January 2024

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

So in the end, Switch's 2023 managed to outsell it's 2017 and 2018 quite considerably.
If last year was indeed it's final full year as Nintendo's flagship console, then it's finished on a strong note.

XtremeBG said:
Phenomajp13 said:

No, more like people take dishonesty to heart. Regardless his prediction isn't that pessimistic, it should be more accurate now since the console is clearly showing its age. Funny enough in another post he claimed no more than 150 million and now he is saying low 150 millions is possible. So clearly he continues to move the higher bound up and up, something he has been doing for months now.

I haven't moved anything. Stop to rotate my words or predictions. I have always used the world AROUND . What does this mean to you ? As I have written in the post I said high 140s or low 150s at best. AROUND means anywhere near 150s so it can go either way it can go 1-2-3M short or 1-2-3M more. I am using this word pretty much every time, and you can't obligate me to don't use it. I am not pointing exact numbers in my predictions I am giving ranges or numbers where I say AROUND. which means close to it. It can finish of course little bit short or little bit more of it. The only dishonest person here is you. And you does not deserve to be here as clearly you have mental problems. Also even if I was changing my predictions what ? I can change them infinite times if I want to. This does not mean dishonesty or lie. It simply means change. It means the person who does it sees that his prediction may come little shorter or little higher and of course adjust it. However I am not adjusting nothing now here. I have done in the past for the lifetime sales. Firstly I said 135M than the range from 145M to 150M. Many other people change theirs too. And not only 1 time and not only for Switch. Are the liars and dishonest ?

And again I am asking you which exactly is the lie and dishonesty here ? Which exactly. I want to point me exactly which ? The fact that I once give prediction that I changed little bit later ? Is that the lie or dishonest ? Or what ?

The only funny thing here is you, how you accuse people and how you are someone anonymous or just don't want to say your previous username cuz everyone can find your profile and take out your old post, which maybe were very dishonesty and lying ones, cuz you only talk about this. And person who is liar and dishonest most times accuse other people of the same.

Phenomajp13 said:

The only dishonest thing here is you. You only rotate things how it's comfortable for you and your statements. There is no place I have said something I said before is not true. Again maybe you have, you aren't telling us all who exactly who you have been here on the forum so that we can see your previous posts and see what lies and dishonesty things you have written.

You clearly don't know the meaning of the words " lie " and " dishonesty ". And you clearly have mental problems. Also I am not sure if the word " lie " or " dishonesty " can exist for the topic you are referring to since the predictions are opinions on something that hasn't happened yet and it's like gambling in a way. You can't lie about something you don't know yet. You are saying my behaviour is so ? And how ? Adjusting the prediction ? Or maybe if I forgotten the exact words I've used 1 year ago or saying in one of the posts range, and the other just lining more to the lower number ? Is that a lie ? cuz yesterday I've said I feel more like Switch number will be close to 3M for the year and in other post I gave 3 to 3.5M range ? So I am lying ? is that it ? or because the year ending not normal for 7th year system and beat the expectations of many (before the start of the year) and it finished in 4M and I am all of a sudden lying ? What about my other predictions ? I've asked you in one of my previous posts, you just ignored it. What about the 2021 one ? what about the other 4/5 ones that I made ? Why are you commenting only 1 ? Maybe you like to only comment on what you are comfortable with and only where you can find something on to hang on to accuse.

And just to not be off topic, Great run for Switch(for a system in it's 7th year) and PS5 (given PS performance in Japan) and disappointing one for the XBOX for the year.

Anyone can read those post, I'm not doing it again here. I didn't call you dishonest for changing your prediction but for either lying or forgetting what you said and when. I'll let everyone else read it and see what they think. That's over now though, I simply replied to that poster that quoted your post earlier. About what you recently said though was no more than 150 million, do I need to find it for you? I'll give you some leeway on that though you could have possibly meant "around" but didn't say it in that post. 

Phenomajp13 said:

Anyone can read those post, I'm not doing it again here. I didn't call you dishonest for changing your prediction but for either lying or forgetting what you said and when. I'll let everyone else read it and see what they think. That's over now though, I simply replied to that poster that quoted your post earlier. About what you recently said though was no more than 150 million, do I need to find it for you? I'll give you some leeway on that though you could have possibly meant "around" but didn't say it in that post. 

Again, please read what I have written in answer for the 150M prediction in my previous post .. wait I will copy it again.

XtremeBG said:

I haven't moved anything. Stop to rotate my words or predictions. I have always used the world AROUND . What does this mean to you ? As I have written in the post I said high 140s or low 150s at best. AROUND means anywhere near 150s so it can go either way it can go 1-2-3M short or 1-2-3M more. I am using this word pretty much every time, and you can't obligate me to don't use it. I am not pointing exact numbers in my predictions I am giving ranges or numbers where I say AROUND. which means close to it. It can finish of course little bit short or little bit more of it.

Also everyone here who is reading my posts for long enough time knows very well that almost everytime I use AROUND. Of course there may be once or twice where I may missed it or didn't use it. However having in mind that I often repeat my predictions in posts and therefore using the word AROUND, simply means my honest opinion and prediction is exactly that which I repeat the most - AROUND 150M. Which in turn means anywhere the numbers around that number, like 149 or 151, which are high 140s and low 150s, 148 and 152 as well too.

The people here have eyes, and brains and also since I am posting often since 2020 here, they don't need someone pointing something out 4 years later if this was really true. Ooh and let's not forget how you started .. You first tried to provoke me when you started quoting other people for the PS2 sales numbers .. Very lame way to attack someone.

And what call me lying and dishonest because I may have forgot some word I have used in my one or two posts out of hundreds the last year ? WoW. I didn't know that forgetting some word means you are a liar and Dishonest. Wow. You made discovery. Wow I am stunned really! So to all here, just to know, if you happen to forget some word you have said year ago you have to be liars and dishonest! (No matter you may repeated times and times again your position about the topic you wrote (doesn't matter what topic)). Nice logic there!

Give me some leeway ? Come on, you are fearing to continue the debate ? I want a fight, come on! Show me what you got! You don't have energy for writing ? Ooh poor honest and thruth full hearbroken by dishonesty person ..

You will see what others think ? Haven't you already saw ? No one is agreeing with you, in fact there were some people even directly telling it to you.. Also if someone thought the things you say for me, someone would already written it for the last 4 years now. You came too late for the party boy.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 15 January 2024

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

The PS5 discrepancy between hardware and software sales honestly makes a lot more sense to me seeing that the top 3 PS5 games played were all F2P.