By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 52 & 53, 2023 (Dec 18 - Dec 31)

Otter said:
Zippy6 said:

PS5 has had a slow end to the year but with these two weeks it beats PS2's 2004 sales. So this year was the best sales for a PlayStation Home Console in Japan for 20 years (since PS2 in 2003).

I do wonder whether the slow end is stock being prioritised to US/EU or whether this is just the current demand with available software. Strange for it to be so stable even during the holidays

Well I guess we'll find out. If sales drop-off post holidays a fair bit as you'd expect then it's demand. If the sales are staying about 30-40k after the holidays are over that would suggest otherwise. The stock situation is generally sorted but it is possible now they've fully switched over to the Slim they've not been sending enough Japan's way for the holiday season. We'll find out with how it performs in 2024.

Around the Network

Lol, it was so long I actually forgot about Famitsu this week. Thanks for picking it up, deerox.

As for the numbers, I feel like it was a pretty slow end of the year all around (keep in mind these numbers are for two weeks combined). Hopefully next Switch comes out this year and things pick up again next holiday.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Decent software sales to end the year especially for Momotaro and Mario Wonder which were the biggest software wise during this holiday of course.

Spiderman had a surprising not so surprising resurgence in sales considering it's the PS5 big holiday title.

Hardware wise overall the Switch stays relatively well within what it has established this Holiday.

It's gonna be interesting to see the following two months considering the Switch was already down last year. So will it go down further or will it maintain a similar basis to last year for a while until prolly failing to trail with the upwards of April to summer most probably.

Which is why I'm gonna predict the Switch to sell about 3M this year. It'll be down a bit more than usual but not as drastically, especially if Nintendo delays a possible hardware announcement to later this year.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

ShadowLink93 said:

Nintendo Platforms yearly Japan sales

Sony Platforms yearly Japan sales

Thank you for posting this.  With people claiming the Switch is ready for retirement, this actually shows that it had the best year 7 of any system in Japan's history.  (It also had the best year 5 and 6.)  The next best year 7 was the PSP with 2.91m while Switch sold 4.06m.  That is a pretty big margin.  During it's eighth year the PSP sold 2.08m, and it should be pretty easy for Switch to clear that this year.

I think it's obvious to everyone that the Switch is going to beat the DS's lifetime sales record in Japan.  Now the question is "by how much?"  At this point in its life the PSP still had another 3.4m in sales for the rest of its life.  The Switch should be able to easily beat that going forward.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 11 January 2024

Around the Network

I'm here for the real fight and you know it : PS4 VS Xbox Series !

Pinkie_pie said:

Nice hardware sales. One of Switch's best week for the year and PS5 too

It was actually a decent 2 weeks for both consoles, but for sure not one of the best for Switch.
Switch's best week in 2023 was Jan 1-8 which sold 137,033 units
#2 best selling week in Japan was Oct 2-8 at 110,241 units.
#3 Jun 26- July 2 at 106,214 units
#4 Jun 19-25 at 105,990 units.
#5 Jun 5-11 selling 104,413 units
These two weeks were probably in the top 45% compared to all the 2023 Famitsu weeks

I can't say anything about PS5.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

So Switch's 7th year was nearly 50% higher than DS's 7th year. Crazy stuff.

curl-6 said:

The 7th year for the DS was Nov 2010-Oct 2011 (in terms of months) with 14.98M sold worldwide & 1.41M sold in Japan.
This 7th year for the Switch isnt over yet is from March 2023-February 2024, but is at 10.6M sold worldwide & 3.41M sold in Japan.
Yes, Switch's 7th Year in Japan is 200% the DS's 7th year in Japan.

Worldwide the Switch still has a lot to go to surpass 14.98M, and the 15M Nintendo intended for the 7th year. And in Japan it is still a great force, thriving and stabilized near the 4M mark for the past couple of years now.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Shtinamin_ said:
curl-6 said:

The 7th year for the DS was Nov 2010-Oct 2011 (in terms of months) with 14.98M sold worldwide & 1.41M sold in Japan.
This 7th year for the Switch isnt over yet is from March 2023-February 2024, but is at 10.6M sold worldwide & 3.41M sold in Japan.
Yes, Switch's 7th Year in Japan is 200% the DS's 7th year in Japan.

Worldwide the Switch still has a lot to go to surpass 14.98M, and the 15M Nintendo intended for the 7th year. And in Japan it is still a great force, thriving and stabilized near the 4M mark for the past couple of years now.

I was referring to the calendar year, as that's what's generally tracked in the various breakdowns.