By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 52 & 53, 2023 (Dec 18 - Dec 31)

Remember, those hardware sales are for two weeks combined, so the Switch averaged 84,433 units per week across the two-week period, while the PS5 averaged 40,971.5.

CourageTCD said:

What's the deal with this Week 53 thing in 2017 and 2023?

Sales trackers occasionally have 53-week years to account for calendar years actually being slightly longer than 52 weeks (which is actually only 364 days, so a year is 52 weeks plus one or two days). Famitsu uses their own system, while Circana/NPD uses the National Retail Federation's calendar, which has 53-week years on occasion. Over the past 30 years we've had 1996, 2001, 2007, 2013, and 2018 as 53-week years, and this year is one as well. Since sales are tracked monthly in the U.S., the NRF assigns the extra week to January, so this month as well as the Januaries in those other years are 5-week sales periods instead of the usual four.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Around the Network

2023 in Japan ..The Nintendo Switch didn't miss the 4 Million YTD and The PS5 missed the 5 Million LTD !

The end to an underwhelming holiday for the Switch but at least the 4 mil mark was reached, which is still amazing in year 7. Awesome to see Pikmin 4 still doing so well.

Now we're (shockingly) at a point where it might actually be interesting to speculate whether the Switch or PS5 will sell most in Japan next year, I expect them both to drop but Switch obviously the most, particularly if a successor releases. Could be a topic worthy of a thread.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

It looks like none of the 100k+ weeks the Switch had this year were in November or December which is wild, I fully expected at least a couple of them to be in the latter. It was down a ton this holiday but still managed to reach 4m for 2023 which is fantastic considering its age and how close it is to the DS. It will be down massively this year but that's fine. PS5 had no boost this holiday so is clearly gonna do a lot worse this year due to things like the price increase but it's built up a big enough lead over the PS4 that it should be able to outsell it. Overall it was a really strong year for hardware though at least the next couple won't be as strong.

2024 is the year where Switch becomes the best selling console in history in Japan. Just over a million to go to pass NDS.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
ShadowLink93 said:

Nintendo Platforms yearly Japan sales

Sony Platforms yearly Japan sales

Switch sales are ridiculously steady compared to all other Nintendo systems

Great job for Switch hitting 4 million in it's 7th year!!! Managed to get there despite a weak holiday season as that inevitable sales cliff, which hit the rest of the world a few months earlier, finally hit Japan late in the year.

Nintendo owns Japan. Playstation had a completely nuts year and managed to be 1.5 million under Switch in its 7th year. Nintendo dominance of Japan is crazy.

Great year for the industry in Japan with Playstation having a freakishly good year stronger than its been in 20 years and Switch having a great year to lead into next generation presumably starting this year.

4 millions in year 7 is CRAZY after the amount it already sold. As other said, Switch will probably drop like a rock this year but it will still end up being the best selling console of all time in japan.

Zippy6 said:

PS5 has had a slow end to the year but with these two weeks it beats PS2's 2004 sales. So this year was the best sales for a PlayStation Home Console in Japan for 20 years (since PS2 in 2003).

That is quite unexpected.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Zippy6 said:

PS5 has had a slow end to the year but with these two weeks it beats PS2's 2004 sales. So this year was the best sales for a PlayStation Home Console in Japan for 20 years (since PS2 in 2003).

I do wonder whether the slow end is stock being prioritised to US/EU or whether this is just the current demand with available software. Strange for it to be so stable even during the holidays