By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - European November Sales - #1 PS5 (+376%), #2 Switch (-35%), #3 XBS (-26%)

Information from: Game sales dip but PS5 drives console market up 60% | European Monthly Charts | GamesIndustry.biz

Hardware

1.3m Consoles Sold, 60% more than last year
- PS5 is first with sales 376% higher than last year
- Switch is second with sales 35% lower than last year
- Xbox is third with sales 26% lower than last year

(Console hardware sales cover Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.)

(UK sales are not included, UK specifically was #1 PS5 (+126%), #2 XBS (+4%), #3 Switch (-19%)

Software

- 24.6m Video Games Sold
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 was the biggest release, though sales for the first 4 weeks were 33% down compared to Modern Warfare 2
- EA FC 24 sold 3% more over the same November Period as Fifa 23
- Super Mario RPG (Physical Only) debuts 13th (first 3 weeks 13% lower than Paper Mario Origami King)
- Hogwarts Legacy sales increased 509% compared to November, 50% of sales were on the Switch

(Digital data includes games sold in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, and United Kingdom.)

(Physical data includes all games, but only those sold in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and United Kingdom.)

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 14 December 2023

Around the Network

PS5 sales before this year were indeed just whatever Sony could have produced. I wonder if this will be the highest PS5 peak November in Europe

IcaroRibeiro said:

PS5 sales before this year were indeed just whatever Sony could have produced. I wonder if this will be the highest PS5 peak November in Europe

It might be. PS4's peak November in the EU was 1.28m. PS5 this year might be close to that. Hard to say when we have such a massive difference in YoY change between UK and the tracked European region.

UK +126%
EU +376% (Not including some countries like UK/Germany)

PS5 did 425k last year in Europe. So if the YoY change for the whole region is around +200% it would match PS4's peak this year.

PS5 did 425k last november .. So 376% up and 126% for the UK, This means that the YOY for the PS5 have to remain above 300% taking the UK into account. Which it means that PS5 have to be something around 1.2M in Europe for November, which is good.

Switch did 776k however it's 35% down and -19% in UK so I am not sure how much of a portion is the UK sales (as for the PS5 as well, I am just throwing roughtly estimates of my own) however since it's only one regions let's say those 35 will become 28 to 30% down, which is around 500k.

XBSX was 306k, now should be around 250k.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

These numbers don’t include UK and Germany and I think some other smaller European countries, so there’s a chance of around 1.5m units sold in Europe for the PS5. Other markets like Australia, Brazil, Middle East and others saw a great increase too.

As for the Switch we have:
- 38% down in the US YoY
- 35% down in Europe YoY
- 42% down in Japan YoY
- 19% down in UK YoY

Switch 2 can’t come soon enough.

As for Xbox, well, there’s nothing else to be said.

Around the Network

Series S/X is really the N64 of our time ? Sales decreasing in a year they were supposed to be increasing and trouble reaching popularity outside their core audiences

IcaroRibeiro said:

Series S/X is really the N64 of our time ? Sales decreasing in a year they were supposed to be increasing and trouble reaching popularity outside their core audiences

The Xbox Series was doing quite well until November 2022 and then it just hit a wall. Whether that was triggered by the PS5 finally getting good stock or something else it just suddenly died. Last October it looked like it would be able to surpass the Xbox One, now it's looking like it'll be lucky to hit 45m.

Xbox Series (Oct 2022-Oct 2023) = 7.6m
Xbox One (Oct 2015-Oct 2016) = 10.1m

By the end of October 2022 Xbox Series was 2m ahead of the Xbox One, one year later it was behind by 0.5m and November is going to widen that a lot more.

Xbox One sold 9.6m in 2016, Xbox Series may sell less than 6.5m this year.

European Estimates from IB November 2023 (Not including UK, Germany and some smaller markets):
PS5: 977k
Switch: 270k
Xbox Series: 53k

As a reference, November 2022:
Switch: 415k
PS5: 205k
Xbox Series: 73k

Yeah, I don't think XBS is reaching XBO.

Huge for the PS5, the Switch drop in Europe I had expected while the US one suprised me more.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat