By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November Circana (NPD) 2023 Thread + Predictions

badskywalker said:

PS5 - 1.4 million
Switch - 950,000
XS - 800,000

Didn't realize I was being optimistic

Around the Network

I think some of you might be overreacting a bit. Reminds me of the meltdowns in the 7th-gen NPD threads.

It's one month in one market...

haxxiy said:

I think some of you might be overreacting a bit. Reminds me of the meltdowns in the 7th-gen NPD threads.

It's one month in one market...

True, but it is the biggest selling month in the biggest selling market.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

trunkswd said:

The Switch outsold the Xbox 360 in the US in November. 

US Total Sales of the Top #3
NDS: 57.92M
PS2: 53.65
Switch: 47.26M

Switch needs to sell just shy of ~6M to outsell the PS2. Throughout this year the Switch has sold an average of ~300k (excluding holiday sales of November 2023).

I personally think that the sales for August, September and October are a more accurate representation of how much the Switch will be selling per month in 2024 (excluding holiday sales of November and December). Based on that assumption, the Switch will average ~200k per month.
If that trend continues it would take the Nintendo Switch 30 months to pass the PS2 in US sales.
(Obviously I'm forgetting about December 2023, with hope that November was the lower of the two months we should see Switch sell near ~800k. Then Switch only needs to sell for 28 months before passing the PS2 in US sales.)

*Edit*: Corrected Switch sales from Americas to USA and recalculated how long it would take to surpass based on the average

Last edited by Shtinamin_ - on 14 December 2023

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Shtinamin_ said:

Yes, we've had these before too. Hardware was 35% down in 2016 for instance.

For individual platforms, the Wii was 40% down in 2009 but up in 2010. Same for the X360. PS3 had huge drops in 2008 and 2010 but recovered in the following years, etc.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
Shtinamin_ said:

Yes, we've had these before too. Hardware was 35% down in 2016 for instance.

For individual platforms, the Wii was 40% down in 2009 but up in 2010. Same for the X360. PS3 had huge drops in 2008 and 2010 but recovered in the following years, etc.

Also true.

I guess people are worried for 2024 because there wasn't a lot of big games produced this year (TotK, Spider-Man 2, Baldur's Gate 3, Mario Wonder, Diablo IV, Hogwarts Legacy).
And 2024 is looking rather slim pickings (Rise of the Ronin, Skull and Bones, Princess Peach: Showtime! [at least the biggest one announced by Nintendo]). So, people may not want to buy consoles because there are no new fun interesting games coming out.

Lets hope for the best and hopefully Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft and other big companies can produce some fun games for 2024.

Mat has confirmed the PS5 sold more than 1m. units for the month, it seems that the system will sell more than 3m units WW in November, unless they have a very BIG December, they're not reaching their 25m. units Target.

As for the Switch, it sold less than 1m. in October and is going to sell less than 2m. units in October, I was expecting Nintendo to ship between 6.5-7m units for Q3 for it seems they'll be shipping around 5.5-6m units.

As for the Xbox, can't say without numbers.

Shtinamin_ said:

US Total Sales of the Top #3
NDS: 57.92M
PS2: 53.65
Switch: 50.73M

Switch needs to sell just shy of ~3M to outsell the PS2. Throughout this year the Switch has sold an average of ~300k (excluding holiday sales of November 2023).

You are wrong.. You are watching at the sales of the Switch for Americas while the other two console numbers are for north america only.

Switch is only at 47.26M in North america, so there is still a long way to do to reach PS2. It has more than 6M.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

JRPGfan said:

Going to be optimistic.

PS5 - 2,3m
XS - 1m
Nsw - 1m

Shadow1980 said:

That gives us an upper limit of each system for this November of:

PS5: <1064k
XBS: <584k
NSW: <584k

Ouchies.... I  was way off target.
I think I as thinking of global numbers, instead of just US ones (in which case my optimistic guess isnt actually very optimistic).

Globally Im pretty sure PS5 is over 2,3m this november (gotta be in the 2,5m-3m range).

JRPGfan said:

Ouchies.... I  was way off target.
I think I as thinking of global numbers, instead of just US ones (in which case my optimistic guess isnt actually very optimistic).

Globally Im pretty sure PS5 is over 2,3m this november (gotta be in the 2,5m-3m range).

The global vgchartz estimates have been calculated but the article has yet to be written. The results for November were:

PS5 - 3.55m
NS - 1.67m
XBS - 1.03m