By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts January 2023 Discussion Thread

Welcome to the VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts monthly discussion thread for the January 2023 charts. Everyone is welcome to join the discussion and post any charts I forget to post. View the list of January 2023 articles here.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Link to the VGChartz article here.

Switch vs DS Sales Comparison in Japan - January 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in December 2004 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles do not lineup.

Switch Vs. DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 132,769 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,280,178 - Switch

Total Lead: 3,254,749 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 28,200,427

DS Total Sales: 31,455,176

January 2023 is the 71st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the Switch has outsold the DS by 132,769 units when you align the launches.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the DS by 1.28 million units. The DS is currently ahead of the Switch by 3.25 million units.

The 71st month for the Switch is January 2023, while for the DS it is October 2010. The Switch has sold 28.20 million units, while the DS sold 31.46 million units during the same timeframe. The DS sold current Switch sales in month 60.

The DS has sold 32.99 million units lifetime in Japan. The Switch is currently 4.79 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

There is barely any chance for Switch to NOT outsell NDS in Japan in the long run. It would need a negative "miracle" for that. Latest during holiday season 2024 Switch will take the lead lifetime, but it also could be during Q3/2024 already. (refering to calender year, not fiscal year.)

DaAndy said:

There is barely any chance for Switch to NOT outsell NDS in Japan in the long run. It would need a negative "miracle" for that. Latest during holiday season 2024 Switch will take the lead lifetime, but it also could be during Q3/2024 already. (refering to calender year, not fiscal year.)

If Switch follows a similar end-of-life path as the DS did but just 1 year later it might still fall short.... Lets say Switch successor is announced in March, due for release March 2024.

DS sales in 2010 (when 3DS was announced in March) dropped about 25% from 4m in 2009 to 2.9m in 2010. Then after 2010 it only sold another 700k.

Switch I was expecting around 3.5m this year just on natural old age decline (little early to make an accurate estimate for the year but based on January sales so far that seems reasonable).
so 28m + 3.5m + 700k = 32.2m which is still short of both the GB and DS

The announcement of a successor won't make sales bomb but could also make the slow-down for this year more than current expectations, so maybe only 3m.

Personally I still think Switch will take the top spot, but it's not guaranteed IMO. It's all dependant on the timing of the successor as I don't think there will be any significant price cut at this stage (at least not a price cut intended for life extension, they may cut the price to sell off end of life stock)

HigHurtenflurst said:

If Switch follows a similar end-of-life path as the DS did but just 1 year later it might still fall short.... Lets say Switch successor is announced in March, due for release March 2024.

DS sales in 2010 (when 3DS was announced in March) dropped about 25% from 4m in 2009 to 2.9m in 2010. Then after 2010 it only sold another 700k.

Switch I was expecting around 3.5m this year just on natural old age decline (little early to make an accurate estimate for the year but based on January sales so far that seems reasonable).
so 28m + 3.5m + 700k = 32.2m which is still short of both the GB and DS

The announcement of a successor won't make sales bomb but could also make the slow-down for this year more than current expectations, so maybe only 3m.

Personally I still think Switch will take the top spot, but it's not guaranteed IMO. It's all dependant on the timing of the successor as I don't think there will be any significant price cut at this stage (at least not a price cut intended for life extension, they may cut the price to sell off end of life stock)

I fully agree with you.

I am 50/50 on the matter. I think the chance of Switch falling DS level of sales during the same point in time is big. I personally don't think Switch will make more than 3M in Japan this year. 3M top. That's it.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown  /  YOY Charts

Around the Network

It all comes down to staying power now; DS pretty much flatlines from here on out, question is how much further Switch's momentum will carry if before it's discontinued.

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs PS4 Sales Comparison in Japan - January 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020 in Japan, while the PlayStation 4 launched in February 2014. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS4 Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 95,488 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 50,295 - PS4

Total Lead: 126,336 - PS4

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 2,612,745

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 2,739,081

January 2023 is the 26th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 4 by 95,488 units.

In the last 12 months, the PS4 has outsold the PS5 by 50,295 units. The PS4 is currently ahead of the PS5 by 126,336 million units.

The 27th month for the PS5 in Japan is January 2023, while for the PS4 it is April 2016. The PS5 has sold 2.61 million units, while the PS4 sold 2.94 million units during the same timeframe. The PS4 sold current PS5 sales in month 26.

The PS4 crossed 3 million units in Japan in month 30, 4 million in month 35, and 5 million in month 41. The PS4 has sold 9.60 million units to date.

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox 360 Sales Comparison in Japan - January 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox 360 in Japan, as well as looking at lifetime original Xbox sales and Xbox One sales.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in Japan in November 2020, while the Xbox 360 launched in Japan in December 2005. The original Xbox launched in Japan in February 2002 and the Xbox One in September 2014.

XSX|S Vs. X360 Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 7,247 - X360

Gap change over last 12 months: 31,124 - XSX|S

Total Lead: 180,084 - X360

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 406,752

Xbox 360 Total Sales: 586,836

January 2023 is the 27th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for in Japan. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series 360 when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 7,247 units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox Series X|S has caught up to the Xbox 360 by 31,124 units. The Xbox 360 is currently ahead by 180,084 units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 406,752 units in 27 months, while the Xbox 360 sold 586,836 units. Month 27 for the Xbox Series X|S is January 2023 and for the Xbox 360 is February 2008.

The Xbox 360 crossed one million units in month 40 and 1.5 million units in month 67. The Xbox 360 sold 1.66 million units lifetime. The Xbox Series X|S is 1.25 million units behind lifetime Xbox 360 sales.

Oof, that is a nasty slump for XS these past few months, it really has fallen off the horse.
MS better get their act together if they want to prevent it ending up another Xbone.

Switch vs PS3 Sales Comparison in Europe – January 2023 (Final Update)

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 3.

The PlayStation 3 launched in Europe in March 2007, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

Switch Vs. PS3 Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 20,295 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 852,238 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,779,181 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 31,088,619

PS3 Total Sales: 26,309,438

January 2023 is the 71st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Nintendo Switch has grown its lead over the PlayStation 3 by 20,295 units.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 3 by 0.85 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 3 by 4.78 million units.

The 71st month for the Nintendo Switch in Europe is January 2023 and for the PlayStation 3 it is January 2013. The Switch has sold 31.09 million units, while the PlayStation 3 has sold 26.31 million units during the same timeframe.

This month the Nintendo Switch has now outsold lifetime PlayStation 3 sales in Europe. The Switch's 31.09 million units sold is above the 30.87 million the PS3 has sold lifetime in Europe.