By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Ships 122.55 Million Units as of December 2022

If the switch hits 140 million by this time next year I don't think the console will make 155+

I get the feeling that switch sales will slow down next year, even more if the next gen Nintendo console is announced.
I just don't think the switch has another 15 million in it after the next gen launches, I recon the switch will sell 148 to 150 million tops

Around the Network
Kneetos said:

If the switch hits 140 million by this time next year I don't think the console will make 155+

I get the feeling that switch sales will slow down next year, even more if the next gen Nintendo console is announced.
I just don't think the switch has another 15 million in it after the next gen launches, I recon the switch will sell 148 to 150 million tops

Yeah it basically all comes down to how big the drop is this year and when the Switch successor is finally announced and released. Shipments will probably be somewhere in the 139m-141m range by April 2024. It will be close.

Good Lord I never knew MK8 was over 50 million!

Proxy-Pie said:

Good Lord I never knew MK8 was over 50 million!

We all found out yesterday.

Zippy6 said:
Kneetos said:

Yeah it basically all comes down to how big the drop is this year and when the Switch successor is finally announced and released. Shipments will probably be somewhere in the 139m-141m range by April 2024. It will be close.

It's had a great run but the end is in sight and this is where I reckon the switch will end up at:
126mill by March 31st 2023
140mill by March 31st 2024 (Successor will launch in 2024)
150mill-ish by life end

I think it'll stop around the 150mill mark. It might squeak past it but it's got little chance of beating the DS/PS2 numbers which is what a lot of people were wondering including myself.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:

NSMBU:D about to hit 15m as a last-gen port that launched as a post-holiday filler.

All I can say is Nintendo better be getting a great new Switch 2D Mario game ready cuz that thing would certainly sell 20m. Perfect huge game for the holidays this year.

Poke V/S over 20m is insane. Wonder if it'll get up to 30m eventually. Glad to see SM3DW+BF hitting 10m, I just finished playing through that game and its so good! Ring Fit finally passing 15m is incredible. Switch Sports was an absolute monster for the holiday quarter, selling 2.46m that is nuts I wonder if lots of people were just waiting to pick it up for the holidays / also waiting for Golf to hit, or if those numbers are showing off the kind of legs the game is gonna have. Xenoblade still a niche game but I guess this is the best selling one so that's good.

The best selling game is also a WiiU port. Crazy to think, MK8 has over 60m sales.

I think they can make a new good 2D Mario in-spite of Mario Maker, it just has to have a new art/gameplay style. New Super Mario World?

Proxy-Pie said:
Slownenberg said:

NSMBU:D about to hit 15m as a last-gen port that launched as a post-holiday filler.

All I can say is Nintendo better be getting a great new Switch 2D Mario game ready cuz that thing would certainly sell 20m. Perfect huge game for the holidays this year.

Poke V/S over 20m is insane. Wonder if it'll get up to 30m eventually. Glad to see SM3DW+BF hitting 10m, I just finished playing through that game and its so good! Ring Fit finally passing 15m is incredible. Switch Sports was an absolute monster for the holiday quarter, selling 2.46m that is nuts I wonder if lots of people were just waiting to pick it up for the holidays / also waiting for Golf to hit, or if those numbers are showing off the kind of legs the game is gonna have. Xenoblade still a niche game but I guess this is the best selling one so that's good.

The best selling game is also a WiiU port. Crazy to think, MK8 has over 60m sales.

I think they can make a new good 2D Mario in-spite of Mario Maker, it just has to have a new art/gameplay style. New Super Mario World?

I think Mario Maker 3 should be the next mainline Mario featuring a full campaign in a new style with exciting new power ups and level design elements. Paid DLC one year later (or free for NSO Expansion subscribers) that features an entirely new style and campaign. 

I can see Switch finishing 2023 with around 135M sold LT.
I expect Nintendo to at least announce their next gen console before the end of 2023, which will slow down the sales even more.
with 2024, I can see it doing another let's say around 8M.
and then have a few years with weak sales because the next gen console should be out by 2024.
So I expect Switch to finish in the range between 145M and 150M LT total.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 08 February 2023

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown  /  YOY Charts

kazuyamishima said:
trunkswd said:

Being flat maybe at best? But considering they lowered it again I would expect Switch sales to continue to decline from here on out.

The system has been in decline since 2021.

People are expecting price cuts but everything is increasing in price, very doubtful 

Yeah with high inflation I don’t see an outright price cut happening, however I think we all past due for some value added bundles. Pack in a digital game and 3 months of Switch Online.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

New Game News Roundup is now LIVE on YouTube. I go over the UK regulators objections to Microsoft's Activision Blizzard deal, the Nintendo Direct and more!

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.