By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Ships 122.55 Million Units as of December 2022

Link to the VGChartz article here.

Switch Ships 122.55 Million Units as of December 2022

Nintendo has released its latest hardware and software figures for the Nintendo Switch through December 31, 2022. Shipments figures for the Nintendo Switch reached 122.55 million units, while 994.30 million Switch games have been shipped lifetime.

For the quarter ending December 31, 2022, Nintendo shipped 8.22 million Switch units and 76.71 million Switch games.

Breaking down the 122.55 million lifetime shipped figure for the Switch, it has shipped 47.66 million units in the Americas, 31.71 million in Europe, 29.05 million in Japan, and 14.15 million in the rest of the world.

The regular Nintendo switch model accounts for 88.67 million units of the 122.55 million Switch consoles shipped worldwide. The Switch Lite accounts for 20.40 million units and the Switch OLED accounts for 13.49 million units.

Nintendo has lowered its forecast for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2023, from 19 million units for the Nintendo Switch down to 18 million.

Nintendo for the nine month period ending December 31, 2022  reported net sales were down 1.9 percent to ¥1,295.18 billion ($9.80 billion) and an operating profit dropped 13.1 percent to ¥410.54 billion ($3.11 billion).

Here are the top 10 best-selling Switch first-party titles:

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 52 million
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 41.59 million
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 30.44 million
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 29 million
  5. Pokémon Sword / Pokémon Shield – 25.68 million
  6. Super Mario Odyssey – 25.12 million
  7. Pokémon Scarlet / Pokémon Violet – 20.61 million
  8. Super Mario Party – 18.79 million
  9. Ring Fit Adventure – 15.22 million
  10. Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee! – 15.07 million
Nintendo also shared the sales figures of more games:
  1. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 14.75 million
  2. Pokémon Legends: Arceus – 14.63 million
  3. Luigi’s Mansion 3 – 12.44 million
  4. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 10.82 million
  5. Splatoon 3 – 10.13 million
  6. Mario Party Superstars – 9.38 million
  7. Nintendo Switch Sports – 8.61 million
  8. Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 6.12 million
  9. Mario Strikers: Battle League – 2.47 million
  10. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 – 1.81 million
  11. Bayonetta 3 – 1.04 million
Last edited by trunkswd - on 07 February 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

The forecast has been reduced from 19m to 18m for FY2022.

Are still users believing the Bloomberg report??

kazuyamishima said:

Being flat maybe at best? But considering they lowered it again I would expect Switch sales to continue to decline from here on out.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I am looking at the breakdown of shipment figures and the VGChartz estimates look good in the Americas, Europe, and Japan. However, we are a bit too high in the others area (Asia, MEA, Oceania). These regions are the hardest to track as there is very little data available. I will be adjusting those down a little bit.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 07 February 2023

trunkswd said:
kazuyamishima said:

Being flat maybe at best? But considering they lowered it again I would expect Switch sales to continue to decline from here on out.

The system has been in decline since 2021.

People are expecting price cuts but everything is increasing in price, very doubtful 

Around the Network

29.05 million shipped in Japan, the DS's 33 million are close

NSMBU:D about to hit 15m as a last-gen port that launched as a post-holiday filler.

All I can say is Nintendo better be getting a great new Switch 2D Mario game ready cuz that thing would certainly sell 20m. Perfect huge game for the holidays this year.

Poke V/S over 20m is insane. Wonder if it'll get up to 30m eventually. Glad to see SM3DW+BF hitting 10m, I just finished playing through that game and its so good! Ring Fit finally passing 15m is incredible. Switch Sports was an absolute monster for the holiday quarter, selling 2.46m that is nuts I wonder if lots of people were just waiting to pick it up for the holidays / also waiting for Golf to hit, or if those numbers are showing off the kind of legs the game is gonna have. Xenoblade still a niche game but I guess this is the best selling one so that's good.

The Switch adjusted down to 18m expected shipments for the FY and PS5 adjusted up to 19m
is crazy to think about.

Considering the Switch is estimated to have outsold the ps5 by 6m in 2022 yet we may see the PS5 ship more units April 2022 - March 2023 than the switch.

So it seems I was right when early in the year predicted switch to sell between 18 and 20M, and more specifically to sell around switch 2019 numbers. they are almost even.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown  /  YOY Charts

18 million is considered pretty good in any year but the 7th? Geez.

That would put it at ~140 million. Switch has a legitimate shot at number 1 all-time.