By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts September 2022 Discussion Thread

Welcome to the VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts monthly discussion thread for the September charts. Everyone is welcome to join the discussion and post any charts I forget to post. View the list of September articles here.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

Switch vs DS Sales Comparison in Japan - September 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in December 2004 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles do not lineup.

Switch Vs. DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 348,421 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,408,385 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,187,595 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 26,411,448

DS Total Sales: 30,599,043

September 2022 is the 67th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the Switch has outsold the DS by 348,421 units when you align the launches.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the DS by 1.41 million units. The DS is currently ahead of the Switch by 4.19 million units.

The 67th month for the Switch is September 2022, while for the DS it is June 2010. The Switch has sold 26,41 million units, while the DS sold 30.60 million units during the same timeframe. The DS sold current Switch sales in month 31.

The DS has sold 32.99 million units lifetime in Japan. The Switch is currently 6.58 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Well, the DS has a 4 million+ lead, and that's a lot.

However, it died really bad after week 73, so Switch has a chance.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

It needs a bit over 6.5 million to surpass the DS in Japan. At the end of this year that gap will likely be down to around 5 million. If Nintendo supports the Switch through 2023 and the Switch successor doesn't launch until 2024 or later it should end up ahead. 

trunkswd said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

It needs a bit over 6.5 million to surpass the DS in Japan. At the end of this year that gap will likely be down to around 5 million. If Nintendo supports the Switch through 2023 and the Switch successor doesn't launch until 2024 or later it should end up ahead. 

I think the Switch successor will release in 2024.

Worst case scenario, we start to see rumors for it late 2023 and people suddenly stop purchasing the Switch, waiting for the successor. But that may not happen at all.

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
trunkswd said:

I think the Switch successor will release in 2024.

Worst case scenario, we start to see rumors for it late 2023 and people suddenly stop purchasing the Switch, waiting for the successor. But that may not happen at all.

I agree. March 2024, 7 years after the release of the Switch, is the earliest I see a Switch successor launching. 

Ironically since last time I said this, the Switch’s line has gone up a bit in Switch’s favor, but overall the gap difference seems to be flattening out slowly but surely. And obviously a flat line means it’s not getting closer and then it won’t overtake. When it’ll be completely flat is still up in the air though. It will be close either way. Switch will either end up just below DS and GameBoy, or beat both.

Which, yes, is like saying nothing .

S.Peelman said:

Ironically since last time I said this, the Switch’s line has gone up a bit in Switch’s favor, but overall the gap difference seems to be flattening out slowly but surely. And obviously a flat line means it’s not getting closer and then it won’t overtake. When it’ll be completely flat is still up in the air though. It will be close either way. Switch will either end up just below DS and GameBoy, or beat both.

Which, yes, is like saying nothing .

That's wrong. In the last three months alone Switch has caught up by close to a million units.

But more importantly, the DS is fast approaching its final lifetime figure, meaning that in six months from now it will be almost finished. Or in other words, from here on out it will only add 2.4m more to its current LTD figure. So in seven months from now (that's from April 2023 onwards) Switch will begin to gain rapidly on the DS, because Mario Kart 8's DLC support already tells us that Switch will be well supported all through 2023.

I don't think it will be close in the end. There's at least one more major Switch revision left, so ultimately Switch should end up ahead by at least one million units.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox 360 Sales Comparison in Japan - September 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox 360 in Japan, as well as looking at lifetime original Xbox sales and Xbox One sales.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in Japan in November 2020, while the Xbox 360 launched in Japan in December 2005. The original Xbox launched in Japan in February 2002 and the Xbox One in September 2014.

XSX|S Vs. X360 Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 28,302 - XSX|S

Gap change over last 12 months: 30,203 - X360

Total Lead: 98,279 - X360

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 366,724

Xbox 360 Total Sales: 465,003

September 2022 is the 23rd month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for in Japan. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox 360 by just 28,302 units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox 360 has grown its lead over the Xbox Series X|S by 30,203 units. The Xbox 360 is currently ahead by 98,279 units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 366,724 units in 23 months, while the Xbox 360 sold 465,003 units. Month 23 for the Xbox Series X|S is September 2022 and for the Xbox 360 is October 2007.

The Xbox 360 crossed 500,000 units sold in Japan in month 24, one million units in month 40, and 1.5 million units in month 67. The Xbox 360 sold 1.66 million units lifetime.

next comparison in line - XBSX vs Wii U in japan 360 is history here

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts