By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts September 2022 Discussion Thread

yo33331 said:

next comparison in line - XBSX vs Wii U in japan 360 is history here

I can do that comparison once the Xbox Series X|S surpasses the Xbox 360 in Japan. For now I have more than enough comparison articles to keep me busy. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

I can do that comparison once the Xbox Series X|S surpasses the Xbox 360 in Japan. For now I have more than enough comparison articles to keep me busy. 

Of course. XBSX have to earn that privilege first. However with the way it is going now, I think there is big potential and by 2024 it will compete with wii u numbers not 360s

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

yo33331 said:
trunkswd said:

Of course. XBSX have to earn that privilege first. However with the way it is going now, I think there is big potential and by 2024 it will compete with wii u numbers not 360s

With enough stock the Xbox Series X|S could sell 500K or more in a single year. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Xbox Series has some catching up to do, but it's current upwards trajectory is very impressive, especially given how poorly its predecessor performed in Japan.

curl-6 said:

Xbox Series has some catching up to do, but it's current upwards trajectory is very impressive, especially given how poorly its predecessor performed in Japan.

It is doing it right now.

The fact that beat even the wii u last month in japan tells a lot.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Around the Network
yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

It is doing it right now.

The fact that beat even the wii u last month in japan tells a lot.

About the X Series or the Wii U?

Share the article here.

PS5 vs PS4 Sales Comparison - September 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS4 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 169,437 - PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,815,994 - PS4

Total Lead: 3,054,088 - PS4

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 23,953,309

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 27,007,397

September 2022 is the 23rd month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 by 169,437 units.

In the last 12 months, the PS4 has outsold the PS5 by 3.82 million units. The PS4 is currently ahead of the PS5 by 3.05 million units.

The PS5 has sold 22.95 million units in 23 months, while the PS4 sold 27.01 million units. Month 23 for the PS5 is September 2022 and for the PS4 is September 2015.

The PS4 crossed 30 million units in month 25, 40 million units in month 31, and 50 million in month 38. The PS4 has sold 117.01 million units to date.

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One Sales Comparison - September 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Xbox One launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

XSX|S Vs. XOne Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 286,536 - XSX|S

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,408,083 - XSX|S

Total Lead: 2,895,471 - XSX|S

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 17,156,998

Xbox One Total Sales: 14,261,527

September 2022 is the 23rd month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox One by 286,536 units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox Series X|S has grown by 1.41 million units. The Xbox Series X|S is currently ahead by 2.90 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 17.16 million units in 23 months, while the Xbox One sold 14.26 million units. Month 23 for the Xbox Series X|S is September 2022 and for the Xbox One is September 2015.

The Xbox One did not reach current Xbox Series X|S sales until month 26 when it sold 19.23 million units.

The Xbox One crossed 20 million in month 30, 30 million in month 48, and 40 million in month 61. The Xbox One has sold 51.28 million units to date.

Share the article here.

PS5 and Xbox Series X|S vs PS4 and Xbox One Sales Comparison - September 2022

This monthly series compares the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S with the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

Gap change in latest month: 117,099 - PS5 & XSX|S

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,407,911 - PS4 & XOne

Total Lead: 158,617 - PS4 & XOne

Total Combined PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales: 41,110,307

Total Combined PS4 and Xbox One Sales: 41,268,924

In September 2022, the gap grew in favor of the combined sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in the last month by 0.12 million units.

In the last 12 months, the PS4 and Xbox One has sold 2.41 million units more than the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S are currently behind by 0.16 million units.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S in their first 23 months sold a combined 41.11 million units, while the PS4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 41.27 million units. Month 23 is September 2022 for the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, while for the PS4 and Xbox One it is September 2015.

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 168.28 million units after 107 months.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 23 October 2022

Nice to see Xbox Series continuing to widen the gap over its predecessor, especially consideing the supply issues it has had for its entire life so far, something Xbone never had to contend with to anywhere near the same degree.