By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I've lost faith in Sony

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

The thing is they didn`t closed it. They renamed it after team asobi and removed the third party supervision from Japan and put on central corporate.

Team Asobi will never make LoD so it doesn't exist anymore.

But seriously, fuck Sony for that.

On that Team Japan didn't make a LoD 2 for like 20 years. And what to say if the studio start to grow they wouldn't want to make LoD 2? And nothing prevents Sony from hiring an external studio to do it and perhaps buy it after if it sells really well.

twintail said:
Machiavellian said:

Naw, episodic games isn't the same as keeping an IP.  Even this article shows Sony isn't against such a model, the only reason you do not see Sony actually doing it yet is because they do not have any games in their pipeline designed for it yet.

https://www.polygon.com/2013/2/24/4014668/ps4-episodic-gaming-sony

PSNOW is already a cloud based infrastructure, do not let the term cloud confuse you on what they actually mean by that term.

That article is over 8 years old. And in that time not only did Yoshida not green-light an episodic game (from what I can tell), he is also neither in charge of choosing 1st party or 3rd party projects. Will Hulst be different? Maybe. But Sony not having any episodic games in the pipeline is pretty indicative of their stance towards developing them: disinterest. 

As for cloud infrastructure, like I said: PS Now runs off PS3 and PS4 hardware (from what I believe). Until they can upgrade to PS5 hardware (which is clearly going to be an issue for a while) they can't really offer much in that field. Or Sony also lack the interest. 

Of course, anything could happen. That's life. 

I don`t think they use PS3 and PS4 HW as that would have added costs that aren`t necessary since the server don`t need all the parts of console multiplied in each system. But I can understand why we think they use those HW, because of the lack of BC or emulation for PS3 and before.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
axumblade said:

I still don't regret getting a PS5 near launch but so far it hasn't exactly been my go to console. I've played a lot more on my Series X than my PS5. While I loved Miles Morales and Astro's Playroom, I finished both last year. Since then, I've been mostly on Gamepass or on my Switch. I can't wait for Ratchet and Horizon and a few other titles but overall, I just don't have as much excitement for the systems releases. :/

Out of curiosity, what releases on Xbox are you excited for?

twintail said:
Machiavellian said:

Naw, episodic games isn't the same as keeping an IP.  Even this article shows Sony isn't against such a model, the only reason you do not see Sony actually doing it yet is because they do not have any games in their pipeline designed for it yet.

https://www.polygon.com/2013/2/24/4014668/ps4-episodic-gaming-sony

PSNOW is already a cloud based infrastructure, do not let the term cloud confuse you on what they actually mean by that term.

That article is over 8 years old. And in that time not only did Yoshida not green-light an episodic game (from what I can tell), he is also neither in charge of choosing 1st party or 3rd party projects. Will Hulst be different? Maybe. But Sony not having any episodic games in the pipeline is pretty indicative of their stance towards developing them: disinterest. 

As for cloud infrastructure, like I said: PS Now runs off PS3 and PS4 hardware (from what I believe). Until they can upgrade to PS5 hardware (which is clearly going to be an issue for a while) they can't really offer much in that field. Or Sony also lack the interest. 

True the article is old but what it means is that its not that Sony doesn't do episodic games, its that they do not have anything that currently fit the model.  Giving the right project they probably would have no problems in doing it but until that happens they would do what most companies do, wait for someone else to make it mainstream then jump in.

I would believe that if Sony would do it inhouse it would be a small team with something that works within the model but they probably just do not have anything they feel will work that way yet.  Also I believe you have to have a team dedicated to such a model because waiting years for the next episode is not ideal.  Anyway this is all speculation, until we see what Kojima actually comes out with we all could be guessing at nothing.

You do know that you can download your games from PSNow and not have to stream them.  Cloud just means the service is online that's pretty much about it, from there there are different types of Cloud services which PSNow does multiple.  PSNow can be the distribution service for games which means they do not have to be streamed, its really just like Gamepass.

axumblade said:
Otter said:

Out of curiosity, what releases on Xbox are you excited for?

Psychonauts 2 and 12 minutes are on the top of the list for the xbox to be honest, which neither really compete with my excitement for Rift Apart. The series S|X is just as lackluster for me but Gamepass is good compensation for the time being. It's also just the first year so I am being a little harsh on the PS5 admittedly.

Yeah, pretty much what I was suspecting. Gamepass is a great way of having people remained engaged in your platform over that of the competition. Its clear Sony has had a far healthier software line up and will continue to have one until at least next year. But gamepass creates more frequent opportunities for people to engage with content on Xbox, both in literal games but also in news and announcements. 

Machiavellian said:
twintail said:

True the article is old but what it means is that its not that Sony doesn't do episodic games, its that they do not have anything that currently fit the model.  Giving the right project they probably would have no problems in doing it but until that happens they would do what most companies do, wait for someone else to make it mainstream then jump in.

I would believe that if Sony would do it inhouse it would be a small team with something that works within the model but they probably just do not have anything they feel will work that way yet.  Also I believe you have to have a team dedicated to such a model because waiting years for the next episode is not ideal.  Anyway this is all speculation, until we see what Kojima actually comes out with we all could be guessing at nothing.

You do know that you can download your games from PSNow and not have to stream them.  Cloud just means the service is online that's pretty much about it, from there there are different types of Cloud services which PSNow does multiple.  PSNow can be the distribution service for games which means they do not have to be streamed, its really just like Gamepass.

If 7 years ago when they made the article to today Sony haven`t really invested on this, isn`t because they don`t have anything that fit, it is because the model doesn`t fit for them because if they had interest in it they would make a game that fit on it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I play Western games almost exclusively. So, I haven't been turned off by Sony's shift. But, if I were someone that liked Japanese games, I certainly think I'd feel the same way as the OP. Sony has stopped putting effort into the Japanese market, so they've lost market share there. Consequently, there are fewer Japanese games made exclusively for PS. It makes business sense for Sony, and it works just fine for me and most gamers (which, in turn, is why it makes business sense). But, they definitely did leave some gamers, including the OP, behind.

VAMatt said:

I play Western games almost exclusively. So, I haven't been turned off by Sony's shift. But, if I were someone that liked Japanese games, I certainly think I'd feel the same way as the OP. Sony has stopped putting effort into the Japanese market, so they've lost market share there. Consequently, there are fewer Japanese games made exclusively for PS. It makes business sense for Sony, and it works just fine for me and most gamers (which, in turn, is why it makes business sense). But, they definitely did leave some gamers, including the OP, behind.

There are a lot of third party Japanese studios that will be moving development from the Switch to the PS5 after the PS5 gets a larger installed base in Japan. These things go back and forth, but right now the Switch is dominant so Sony felt maybe like they need to wait.

Alistair said:
VAMatt said:

There are a lot of third party Japanese studios that will be moving development from the Switch to the PS5 after the PS5 gets a larger installed base in Japan. These things go back and forth, but right now the Switch is dominant so Sony felt maybe like they need to wait.

How do you expect PS5 manages to get a larger installed base than Switch in Japan?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Alistair said:

How do you expect PS5 manages to get a larger installed base than Switch in Japan?

Well it is possible. Just like it was possible for Switch to overtake PS4. I personally don't think the PS5 or any other console for that matter to overtake Switch, but we've seen stranger things happen. The Japanese market is a finicky one though and very unorthodox.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

I finally snagged a ps5 from Sony, hopefully I get it in a few days. As a few thoughts:

1) Seems odd to lose faith in a system that hasn't been out a year

2) And ps4 games going to PC 3-4 years after release doesn't seem like a big deal to me

3) ps1, ps2, ps3 and ps4 all delivered great content... I don't see reason to believe ps5 will be any different

And I say this as somebody who prefers Nintendo.