By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I've lost faith in Sony

that's why I have all three consoles

Around the Network
Alistair said:

I would say, give it time. My best friend owns every Sony game and console (PS2 is his favorite) including the PS3 and PS4, but he has no interest in the PS5 yet. He's getting older and likes to play on his PC with a controller instead, and he's big into anime and Japanese things, so the PS5 doesn't' interest him yet. That is a new thing, he doesn't like mouse and keyboard but every PC game has controller support nowadays.

However, look at sales of the PS5. It is outselling the Switch launch sales. Current projections would show the PS5 outselling the PS4 and maybe even getting close to PS2 levels, if we see that Japanese games will come to the system. As long as it is not Switch exclusive, it can be ported to PS5, like Monster Hunter and more.

I hope you know that the PS4 sold about the same number of units as the PS5 at launch.

I've lost faith in the VGC community.

But seriously, whats up with these hot takes? We're like 5 months from the launch lol.

Sony has a vision; it's virtual reality and player immersion. Whether it pays off or not, it will have to do with the execution and marketing--sadly.

They should get ahead of these internal stories--squabbles; that means explain to the public that their layoffs/closures are good--just as some trees shed their leaves to make it through the winter. (Again, marketing)

After all, most of these developers who quit have enough confidence/ideas/savings to make a career change; if they did not, they are stubborn people who probably were more like liabilities than assets. I wish them luck in making their dream games, and hopefully they can create great indie studios.

I don't see anything disappointing with what Sony is doing, other than I still can't buy a PS5. I tried at launch, but I'm too old to make lines and too cheap/proud to fund scalpers. I will wait until I can get one on MSRP or when the better revision is released. The one thing age bestows; it's PATIENCE. It's Sony that is losing my money by not making it easier for real players to buy one through a queue system in their PlayStation website. In the mean time, PC gaming it is.

Dallinor said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Jim Ryan is currently running Sony into the ground. If it doesn't make immediate money, he is cancelling it. Days Gone 2 didn't get greenlit, because it took too long for Bend Studio to make. Now higher up people at Bend Studio are leaving, because they don't want to be forced to work on a stupid MTX infested multiplayer game with Naughty Dog. Japan Studio got gutted. Nevermind that Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian were both big reasons for me to buy a PS4. MLB is going onto Gamepass day 1. Sony couldn't have worked out a better deal with MLB? Really? Games now cost $70 in the USA and close to $100 in Europe. The CBOMB proves that Sony doesn't give a shit about longevity of their consoles. PS5 controllers are already drifting, which shows that like Nintendo and MS, they want you to buy a new controller every 2 years. Sony sold dev kits for Vita a few months ago, and now plans to close the PS3/Vita store.

I was a bigtime 360 owner during the PS3 days, and then switched over to PS4. Everyday that goes by, Sony makes me more and more confident in my decision to never get a PS5. Series X isn't a very good console either, but at least MS let's their studios do whatever the fuck they want. Sony is over here cancelling anything that doesn't make them a ton of money.

Sony has lost my faith, because I already have a PC, and I'm not going to pay $500 + $70 for a stupid early access version of their games. Horizon 2 will be on PS4. Demon's Souls was already leaked as coming to PC soon. GoW2 and Ratchet aren't enough for me to bother buying their $500 console with a faulty controller.

As if we weren't already in a bubble, it seems we've also lost complete touch with reality now.

The company that has record breaking sales across the board both in hardware and software and more content in the pipeline then ever before, is being run into the ground?

Japan Studio should have been gutted years ago. I would suspect the difficulty in removing it was the fact that PlayStation was headquartered in Japan, where nepotism, history and political connections within the company kept it open. I made a list of Sony internal studios output and sales during the PS3 era, and Japan Studio was near the bottom. It was questionable at that point (well over 10 years ago) why it was even still open or not undergoing a complete restructure.

PD, Team Ico and Japan Studio - All of Sony's Japan Studios have been run incompetently for well over a decade. Besides PD who have managed to maintain prestige and sales on the basis of one evergreen IP, those studios, outside of a few third party collaborations, have been a consistent failure. All that funding would have been better put to use elsewhere and a long time ago.

We only have rumours of Days Gone 2, so it's entirely speculation at this point. The rumours also say Sony Bend are working on their own original IP at the moment. We don't have sales numbers for Days Gone, but we know it took 4 years to develop and ended up with mixed reviews and technical issues. People leaving a company is rarely an insight into anything. If you kept track of the number of people leaving high profile studios and tried to form conclusions you could end up with any number of theories. Developers rarely stay at one studio for long, I believe the average length at one studio was 5 years across the industry. This is because in order to advance your career you need to move up, not laterally. Naughty Dog for example have been bleeding talent for the past 15 years, yet consistently put out GOTY contenders.

Gravity Rush and The Last Guardian were tiny games. They may have been the reason you wanted a console, but are largely irrelevant in the bigger picture.

PS5 controllers? Yeah you're scrapping the barrel at this point. 

Really, MS lets their studios do whatever they want? Has your entire knowledge of this industry started by reading a few headlines in past few months?

Sony should be cancelling anything that's not making them money. I know if a baffling concept, but its good business practice. Despite this, Sony have shown and continue to show a tendency to take creative risks. Dreams and a Hideo Kojima walking simulator are recent testaments to that.

Demons Souls PC Port was a video error, that was rectified almost immediately. You should know this, it's common knowledge and has been posted here over a dozen times, including a news section piece. Unless you are being wilfully ignorant. 

Nope. Days Gone 2 was never greenlit. https://opencritic.com/news/2295/days-gone-2-pitch-rejected-by-sony-in-2019

Controllers that break is scrapping the barrel? How so?

Well, MS claims that they let their studios do whatever they want. It may or may not be true. I think I went too far with that one.

Cancelling anything that doesn't make you immediate money is bad business practice. Canceling stuff that has been bleeding money for years? Sure. But anyway, I guess Japan studio was bleeding them for years, so it closing makes sense.

https://www.pcgamer.com/hell-yeah-the-demons-souls-remake-is-coming-to-pc/

"When pressed on whether Demon's Souls is actually a lifetime exclusive to the console or a timed exclusive like Death Stranding, Sony declined to elaborate further, reiterating "Demon’s Souls is exclusive to PlayStation 5."

That's called pleading the 5th. Sony definitely has plans to release Demon's Souls onto PC sometime in the future.

Around the Network

Personally, I don't get all of this concern. Sony delivered all through the PS4 era in the department that really matters, games,, and they seem to be ready to deliver this gen, as well. I mean, just compare the launches of the PS5 and the XSX. Sony had some good games ready for launch, even with the pandemic, while MS, who has been pretty light on output for the last half of last gen, didn't. And their largest franchise was about to drop a graphical turd in Halo: Infinite, if it wasn't for the backlash it received. Who knows when that will launch. And that was their largest title. Talk about mismanagement.

That's not to say you have to agree with all of Sony's decisions, but to act like they are in dire straits is quite ridiculous. This is nothing like the XBO launch. I'm just glad this concern seems to be only alive in some forums, cause right now sales are showing PS5 staying up there with PS4, while XSX is starting to fall behind XBO in some regions.

thismeintiel said:

I'm just glad this concern seems to be only alive in some forums, cause right now sales are showing PS5 staying up there with PS4, while XSX is starting to fall behind XBO in some regions.

I think it's always like that after a successful generation. Even if you are successful in the next, you got this kind of concern.

thismeintiel said:

That's not to say you have to agree with all of Sony's decisions, but to act like they are in dire straits is quite ridiculous. This is nothing like the XBO launch. I'm just glad this concern seems to be only alive in some forums, cause right now sales are showing PS5 staying up there with PS4, while XSX is starting to fall behind XBO in some regions.

So all concern is for the success of the company and not the voices of the consumers. Guess Sony really is a religion to some.

When I moved away from my super nintendo I chose the playstation and never came back. Never had other consoles except playstations, all of them. Playstation 4 is the best one in my opinion. This gen decided to buy an XSX and seriously, it was a great decision, game pass is amazing especially now with bethesda. I will probably get a PS5 down the road but most likely only after 2-3 years to play only the exclusives.

hinch said:

I've lost faith in the VGC community.

But seriously, whats up with these hot takes? We're like 5 months from the launch lol.

It’s Sony and it’s VGC, when you don’t see the traditional “Sony is doomed” thread at the start of each generation, faith can be restored.