By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I've lost faith in Sony

sony has always been the gift that keeps on giving!

we need more japanese exclusives though but they got ignored like gravity rush 2 which waas fcking amazing!

people are just more attracted on the western division coz maybe the games are more relatable with them since obviously the game is in english while gravity had their own language which made people not go on that direction!

look at capcom making resident evil,

yeah they a japanese company but their setting is in america hence they get a lot of sales coz people from the west relate to the games!

i dunno if im making any sense but whatever haha

Around the Network
LivncA_Dis3 said:

yeah they a japanese company but their setting is in america hence they get a lot of sales coz people from the west relate to the games!

Make perfect sense but it's also part of how the gaming market has changed. Back in PS1 and PS2 era, my main gaming habbits were FF games, JRPGs, Fighting games and a few racer or platformers. The latter were from the west, Wipeout, Crash etc but nearly every other game I had around the time was from Japan. They weren't just Sony made, they were SquEnix, Capcom and Namco. They were some of the biggest and highest quality games and they were from Japan.

Now? The highest quality games are from the west (outside of Nintendo), my main purchased and games I play are made in the west. For example SquEnix release 1 FF game every 4-5 years instead of 2, and have seemingly ditched their other JRPG IPs or when they do make them they are of a worse quality (Star Ocean) or mobile cash grabs (Star Ocean) but they do this because of their markets in Japan, while their Eidos department are pushing out superb well made titles.

I think Sony can do well to revive the Japanese output (back in the day it was a lot of made and published games), Asobi team are great developers and should be given a truely great project for them to do, Siren can too but not sure what they are doing since Gravity Rush 2.

Hmm, pie.

Same here! For me my interest with PS fell off when Amy Henning left, At first i was thrilled that neil and bruce are handling UC4 guys who made brilliant TLoU, but i was wrong grounding UC4 just didnt feel "uncharted".. then after that it felt everything was third person action adventure. Its sad that I might skip PS5 in favor of PC considering high game prices and sony's obsession's with everything Naughty Dog and "cinematic games genre" the biggest selling point for me personally was playstation studios during PS3 era and how proud sony were of the world wide team, Sony really had gems which they shutdown evolution, team Zipper and not to mention sitting on so many blockbuster IP's.

Jim Ryan is currently running Sony into the ground. If it doesn't make immediate money, he is cancelling it. Days Gone 2 didn't get greenlit, because it took too long for Bend Studio to make. Now higher up people at Bend Studio are leaving, because they don't want to be forced to work on a stupid MTX infested multiplayer game with Naughty Dog. Japan Studio got gutted. Nevermind that Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian were both big reasons for me to buy a PS4. MLB is going onto Gamepass day 1. Sony couldn't have worked out a better deal with MLB? Really? Games now cost $70 in the USA and close to $100 in Europe. The CBOMB proves that Sony doesn't give a shit about longevity of their consoles. PS5 controllers are already drifting, which shows that like Nintendo and MS, they want you to buy a new controller every 2 years. Sony sold dev kits for Vita a few months ago, and now plans to close the PS3/Vita store.

I was a bigtime 360 owner during the PS3 days, and then switched over to PS4. Everyday that goes by, Sony makes me more and more confident in my decision to never get a PS5. Series X isn't a very good console either, but at least MS let's their studios do whatever the fuck they want. Sony is over here cancelling anything that doesn't make them a ton of money.

Chrkeller said:

I want a ps5 because of Horizon 2, new GoW, Ratchet and Demon. Sony has my faith, because they have content I can't get anywhere else, unless I wait 3-5 years for a PC release.

Sony has lost my faith, because I already have a PC, and I'm not going to pay $500 + $70 for a stupid early access version of their games. Horizon 2 will be on PS4. Demon's Souls was already leaked as coming to PC soon. GoW2 and Ratchet aren't enough for me to bother buying their $500 console with a faulty controller.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 10 April 2021

Cerebralbore101 said:

Jim Ryan is currently running Sony into the ground. If it doesn't make immediate money, he is cancelling it. Days Gone 2 didn't get greenlit, because it took too long for Bend Studio to make. Now higher up people at Bend Studio are leaving, because they don't want to be forced to work on a stupid MTX infested multiplayer game with Naughty Dog. Japan Studio got gutted. Nevermind that Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian were both big reasons for me to buy a PS4. MLB is going onto Gamepass day 1. Sony couldn't have worked out a better deal with MLB? Really? Games now cost $70 in the USA and close to $100 in Europe. The CBOMB proves that Sony doesn't give a shit about longevity of their consoles. PS5 controllers are already drifting, which shows that like Nintendo and MS, they want you to buy a new controller every 2 years. Sony sold dev kits for Vita a few months ago, and now plans to close the PS3/Vita store.

I was a bigtime 360 owner during the PS3 days, and then switched over to PS4. Everyday that goes by, Sony makes me more and more confident in my decision to never get a PS5. Series X isn't a very good console either, but at least MS let's their studios do whatever the fuck they want. Sony is over here cancelling anything that doesn't make them a ton of money.

Chrkeller said:

Sony has lost my faith, because I already have a PC, and I'm not going to pay $500 + $70 for a stupid early access version of their games. Horizon 2 will be on PS4. Demon's Souls was already leaked as coming to PC soon. GoW2 and Ratchet aren't enough for me to bother buying their $500 console with a faulty controller.

As if we weren't already in a bubble, it seems we've also lost complete touch with reality now.

The company that has record breaking sales across the board both in hardware and software and more content in the pipeline then ever before, is being run into the ground?

Japan Studio should have been gutted years ago. I would suspect the difficulty in removing it was the fact that PlayStation was headquartered in Japan, where nepotism, history and political connections within the company kept it open. I made a list of Sony internal studios output and sales during the PS3 era, and Japan Studio was near the bottom. It was questionable at that point (well over 10 years ago) why it was even still open or not undergoing a complete restructure.

PD, Team Ico and Japan Studio - All of Sony's Japan Studios have been run incompetently for well over a decade. Besides PD who have managed to maintain prestige and sales on the basis of one evergreen IP, those studios, outside of a few third party collaborations, have been a consistent failure. All that funding would have been better put to use elsewhere and a long time ago.

We only have rumours of Days Gone 2, so it's entirely speculation at this point. The rumours also say Sony Bend are working on their own original IP at the moment. We don't have sales numbers for Days Gone, but we know it took 4 years to develop and ended up with mixed reviews and technical issues. People leaving a company is rarely an insight into anything. If you kept track of the number of people leaving high profile studios and tried to form conclusions you could end up with any number of theories. Developers rarely stay at one studio for long, I believe the average length at one studio was 5 years across the industry. This is because in order to advance your career you need to move up, not laterally. Naughty Dog for example have been bleeding talent for the past 15 years, yet consistently put out GOTY contenders.

Gravity Rush and The Last Guardian were tiny games. They may have been the reason you wanted a console, but are largely irrelevant in the bigger picture.

PS5 controllers? Yeah you're scrapping the barrel at this point. 

Really, MS lets their studios do whatever they want? Has your entire knowledge of this industry started by reading a few headlines in past few months?

Sony should be cancelling anything that's not making them money. I know if a baffling concept, but its good business practice. Despite this, Sony have shown and continue to show a tendency to take creative risks. Dreams and a Hideo Kojima walking simulator are recent testaments to that.

Demons Souls PC Port was a video error, that was rectified almost immediately. You should know this, it's common knowledge and has been posted here over a dozen times, including a news section piece. Unless you are being wilfully ignorant. 

Last edited by Dallinor - on 10 April 2021

Around the Network

I would say, give it time. My best friend owns every Sony game and console (PS2 is his favorite) including the PS3 and PS4, but he has no interest in the PS5 yet. He's getting older and likes to play on his PC with a controller instead, and he's big into anime and Japanese things, so the PS5 doesn't' interest him yet. That is a new thing, he doesn't like mouse and keyboard but every PC game has controller support nowadays.

However, look at sales of the PS5. It is outselling the Switch launch sales. Current projections would show the PS5 outselling the PS4 and maybe even getting close to PS2 levels, if we see that Japanese games will come to the system. As long as it is not Switch exclusive, it can be ported to PS5, like Monster Hunter and more.

I haven’t lost faith, but Sony is acting strange for sure. Their silence and seemingly lack of willingness to do or say anything right now is disheartening.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Never a good idea to marry oneself to a single platform.

? Sony has never focused on Japanese games for the past 10 years. Why are you making this post now lol. 

The Fury said:
LivncA_Dis3 said:

Make perfect sense but it's also part of how the gaming market has changed. Back in PS1 and PS2 era, my main gaming habbits were FF games, JRPGs, Fighting games and a few racer or platformers. The latter were from the west, Wipeout, Crash etc but nearly every other game I had around the time was from Japan. They weren't just Sony made, they were SquEnix, Capcom and Namco. They were some of the biggest and highest quality games and they were from Japan.

Now? The highest quality games are from the west (outside of Nintendo), my main purchased and games I play are made in the west. For example SquEnix release 1 FF game every 4-5 years instead of 2, and have seemingly ditched their other JRPG IPs or when they do make them they are of a worse quality (Star Ocean) or mobile cash grabs (Star Ocean) but they do this because of their markets in Japan, while their Eidos department are pushing out superb well made titles.

I think Sony can do well to revive the Japanese output (back in the day it was a lot of made and published games), Asobi team are great developers and should be given a truely great project for them to do, Siren can too but not sure what they are doing since Gravity Rush 2.

Try Octopath Traveler.