By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I've lost faith in Sony

Hey Everyone, I've been gone for a while now. For anyone who doesn't remember, I was a big Sony guy back in the day, I'd get into many heated arguments defending them on here. These days though, I can't defend them anymore and honestly their direction has turned me to their competitors.

I've always owned a Switch and PC but never gave them the time of day due to preferring to play everything on the PS4. In the last few years Sony has been catering too heavily towards Western games, the reason I fell in love with Playstation in my youth was the perfect balance between Japanese and Western focused games. I understand why Sony are doing it, but for me they no longer have the vision that I loved about them.

PS5 marks the first time that I haven't picked up a Sony console at launch (aside from PS1 because I was only six when it launched), this includes even the handhelds and upgrading to the PS4 pro at release. I'm just honestly not very excited at all about it, yeah there's some games I want to play but wait a few years and they will be on PC anyway.

These days I use my ps4 as a Netflix/YouTube streaming device. I let my PS Plus subscription expire for the first time since 2010, cause we all knew that turned to garbage a few years back. I've noticed they've started releasing better titles in the past few months but meh.

On the bright side, I've logged back into Steam for the first time since 2014 and even bought a 2nd switch ( non hacked one this time). In my opinion both PC and Switch are ticking all the boxes now. PC in particular has come a long way in offering Japanese titles and Switch has enough exclusive goodness to fill in the gaps.

I hope Sony can change my mind one day, but I have little faith this generation.

Rant over :) 

Around the Network

The PS4 is my favorite Sony console, so I cant really say Im worried about them. Im trying to think of more Japan centric games theyve made and I can only think of that PS1 game The Legend Of Dragoon. Just seem like Sony has always done more western style games. I have almost no interest in the PS5 atm though, but Im sure that will change soon enough.

I have no problems with Sony. They are still the market leader for games from Japan because the majority of them still make games for Sony system first. I really do not need Sony themselves to be the sol provider of games from Japan especially I believe since their system sells better in western markets. At the moment Sony is making the games I like so they will continue to get my money. The system I actually have not bought is the switch. Its the first time that I have not purchased a Nintendo game system because there is pretty much nothing I want to play anymore. Oh well, to each their own.

Last edited by Machiavellian - on 09 April 2021

I want a ps5 because of Horizon 2, new GoW, Ratchet and Demon. Sony has my faith, because they have content I can't get anywhere else, unless I wait 3-5 years for a PC release.

There's no reason to be married to a particular brand. Japanese style games have been struggling for a while to find success on home consoles. A lot of people assume it's because portables fit the Japanese lifestyle and preferences better, but I think it's also because in large part western developers have ignored handhelds as a market, and Japanese developers chose to focus their efforts there, where they would face less competition and need smaller budgets.

If those are the kinds of games you're after, then Switch is definitely your best bet, particularly since they have the biggest Japanese developer's exclusive support. It seems to be that many Japanese developers are porting games to the Switch, and PC will catch most basically anything that they miss. If you own a gaming quality PC, then the only real reason to own a PS5 is their exclusives, and possibly for online play with other PS5 owners. If you don't care about that, then makes sense to drop them.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:

I have no problems with Sony. They are still the market leader for games from Japan because the majority of them still make games for Sony system first. I really do not need Sony themselves to be the sol provider of games from Japan especially I believe since their system sells better in western markets. At the moment Sony is making the games I like so they will continue to get my money. The system I actually have not bought is the switch. Its the first time that I have not purchased a Nintendo game system because there is pretty much nothing I want to play anymore. Oh well, to each their own.

You really should take a look into Famitsu charts.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Welcome back!

I'm kind of in the same boat, but I think for different reasons.

As of 2021, I'm certainly less interested in the PlayStation ecosystem than ever before, but it's been a long time coming. I could probably trace the turning point all the way back to PS3. The PS2, for me, is arguably the best system of all time, in large part because both Sony first-party and third-party studios were firing on all cylinders. We got a lot of great games that had cinematic sensibilities, sure, but they were grounded in arcade-style fun. In the PS3 era, I feel like Sony shifted its focus to story, character, emotion, etc. That accelerated on PS4 and I expect it to continue on PS5. Don't get me wrong: I'm glad that there is a corner of the industry for folks who love these types of character-driven games; they're just not my cup of tea.

Now, even if Sony's first-party studios aren't performing as they did in the sixth gen, there are still reasons to invest in PlayStation -- specifically, third-party exclusives from studios like Square Enix, Aksys, Sega, Atlus, Nihon Falcom, From Software, etc. But many of these games are now showing up on Xbox or Switch, alongside the awesome indie games that appear on everything but your toaster. So I find the need to get a PS system less and less urgent.

There is a lot of bad press on forums and amongst mainstream gaming media. Mostly this is down to Jim's Sony being a silent Sony. The playful Sony with their VPs interacting with the fanbase is gone.

Gamepass is a mystery where MS won't give real numbers on profit, but now gamepass is the bar set, and Sony hasn't got a response but seem to fiddling about with the PS collection and stay safe programme.

Still plenty to play on th console, but I don't like the £70 fee when th competition is launching shit for free on gamepass. Sony seems to be making strategic moves across different areas - gaming, eSports, movies and anime. It will be interesting to see what happens when they reel them all in. It looks like they have a Disney strategy in mind of creating their own Disney with their IPs.

Has Sony turned to shit? No. Sony is being muscled by MS the way So y muscled Sega and Nintendo back in the days. Sony is doing what Nintendo did back then, turn to their key IPs, make them big world wide and cash in on them by making them forever young and bigger than gaming.

Mnementh said:
Machiavellian said:

You really should take a look into Famitsu charts.

Lol, I guess I did shoot that one a little to quick before doing any research.

Same

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!