By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I've lost faith in Sony

Mnementh said:
Alistair said:

There are a lot of third party Japanese studios that will be moving development from the Switch to the PS5 after the PS5 gets a larger installed base in Japan. These things go back and forth, but right now the Switch is dominant so Sony felt maybe like they need to wait.

How do you expect PS5 manages to get a larger installed base than Switch in Japan?

Some titles aren`t just for Japan, and some devs really like higher specs, so those titles can migrate from Switch to PS5 when userbase increase, not that right now PS5 isn`t receiving japanese support.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

I finally snagged a ps5 from Sony, hopefully I get it in a few days. As a few thoughts:

1) Seems odd to lose faith in a system that hasn't been out a year

2) And ps4 games going to PC 3-4 years after release doesn't seem like a big deal to me

3) ps1, ps2, ps3 and ps4 all delivered great content... I don't see reason to believe ps5 will be any different

And I say this as somebody who prefers Nintendo.

Grats! Adding to that.. if you didn't like Sony's output of games on the PS4 (like the OP), then its very unlikely that you'll be interested in the PS5 rn. I find it strange that people that people prejudge a a consoles library and direction when its only been launched months ago. People who are interesed in Japanese games will have loads of stuff from SEGA/Atlus, SE and Bamco to look forward to and some no doubt will be exclusive on certain platforms. 

Its always the same for every generation, slow start, then a ramp up and end big with PS. The library will build up, just give it time. Its not like the rest of the industry is pumping out games lately :P

Last edited by hinch - on 14 April 2021

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

How do you expect PS5 manages to get a larger installed base than Switch in Japan?

Some titles aren`t just for Japan, and some devs really like higher specs, so those titles can migrate from Switch to PS5 when userbase increase, not that right now PS5 isn`t receiving japanese support.

Yeah, I am not doubting PS5 will get japanese support, at least the ones that are supporting PS4. But overtaking Switch base in Japan seems far fetched.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

VAMatt said:

I play Western games almost exclusively. So, I haven't been turned off by Sony's shift. But, if I were someone that liked Japanese games, I certainly think I'd feel the same way as the OP. Sony has stopped putting effort into the Japanese market, so they've lost market share there. Consequently, there are fewer Japanese games made exclusively for PS. It makes business sense for Sony, and it works just fine for me and most gamers (which, in turn, is why it makes business sense). But, they definitely did leave some gamers, including the OP, behind.

Yeah, but that's just kind of what happens.

People get really attached to brands, and assume the companies have a reciprocal obligation. It's a normal human feeling. But, like any other relationship, sometimes people and companies drift apart. It's not you, it's me.

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeah, I am not doubting PS5 will get japanese support, at least the ones that are supporting PS4. But overtaking Switch base in Japan seems far fetched.

PS5 have close to 0 chance of overtaking Switch in Japan, but the way I read that person post it was worldwide marketshare.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

PS5 have close to 0 chance of overtaking Switch in Japan, but the way I read that person post it was worldwide marketshare.

"after the PS5 gets a larger installed base in Japan"

Seems pretty clear to me. But whatever. Worldwide PS5 might have a much better chance, yes. Don't know inhowfar it restores the trust of the mainly japanese devs, but we will see.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

Seems pretty clear to me. But whatever. Worldwide PS5 might have a much better chance, yes. Don't know inhowfar it restores the trust of the mainly japanese devs, but we will see.

My bad. Any possibility he was just meaning larger than it is now instead of larger than Switch? If I had 1k to bet and PS5 passing Switch in Japan earned 1kk I still wouldn`t take the bet.

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

My bad. Any possibility he was just meaning larger than it is now instead of larger than Switch? If I had 1k to bet and PS5 passing Switch in Japan earned 1kk I still wouldn`t take the bet.

Oh right, he could've meant more install base than now. As he referred to games transferring from Switch to PS5 I assumed that he meant Switch, but you are right that this is also a possibility.

Like you, I'm having a a similar crisis of faith in them. I've been a PlayStation fan basically as long as I've been a gamer. I briefly had to go into PC gaming during my teen years cause I had no money for a PS2 until later but after that I've been pretty much only gaming with their consoles. 

Right now my problem with Sony is their attitude towards the end of support for the PS3. Not so much the closure of the store which is understandable (though they could've made a final sale of some sort as a goodbye to their customers but I guess that's too much to ask for) but the closure of the store highlighted another much bigger problem. I won't go into much detail since I wish to be brief but if you're curious please consider checking this video:

Suffice to say, finding out about this made me lose a lot of trust in them. I'm doubting whether I should get a PS5 or even a PS4. Since I have 0 interest in Nintendo or Microsoft games, I'm probably gonna get more involved in PC gaming. 

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

Oh right, he could've meant more install base than now. As he referred to games transferring from Switch to PS5 I assumed that he meant Switch, but you are right that this is also a possibility.

Let's say for argument sake that some type of games wouldn't be developed because Switch wouldn't have enough power and PS5 enough userbase in Japan (if you force your memory you may remember that both PS3 and PS4 took some time for some devs in Japan to start developing, they got stuck on PS2 and PS3 a lot longer than western devs).  Since Switch won't increase in power (at least until a successor or Pro version where Nintendo accepts to have games not running on base) those games would only be released when PS5 have enough base in Japan.

My opinion though is that this wouldn't generate a transfer of titles from Switch to PS5 just that some games wouldn't be developed for Switch anyway. And second is that I think considering general japanese games they will mostly be on Switch and at most PS5 will get ports (maybe enhanced).