By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 59.3 Million Units as of March 2024

Soundwave said:

My guess is 

112 million PS5s

38 million XBox Series S/X (dropping hard now)

For 150 million total. 

Not bad, but not really what I would call great either. Way below the 360 + PS3 and a decline from the PS4 + XBox though that's not all Sony's fault as MS is crashing and burning. 

I wonder if PS6 is going to be like just 105-110 million flat and almost nothing from XBox until MS just leaves stationary hardware if this trend continues. 

This isn't a good pattern to have declining hardware while you have massively increase in the cost of software. Like that's not a healthy balance. 

PS2+XB-183m (NA-69m, EU-62m, JP-24m, RoW-28m)

PS3+360-173m (NA-76m, EU-56m, JP-12m, RoW-29m)

PS4+XBO-175m (NA-71m, EU-61m, JP-10m, RoW-33m)

Japan saw a large drop from Gen 6 to Gen 7 but other than that, the PS+XB ecosystem has been quite stable, globally and per region. I think this shows a few notable things.

1. The PS & XB ecosystems are in large part interchangeable and their sales are dependent on one another. In other words, if one sees growth then the other must see a decline (PS going from 158m to 77m to 117m & XB going from 25m to 85m to 58m).

2. Many people “age out” of gaming as they get older and acquire more responsibilities (established careers, raising families, home ownership, etc) and have traditionally been replaced by new kids/teens who “age into” gaming on these platforms.

3. Developing regions saw massive growth in the 90s/00s. Europe, SNES+GEN-17m, PS1+N64-37m, PS2+XB-62m. RoW, SNES+GEN-4m, PS1+N64-10m, PS2+XB-28m. Growth in these regions have stagnated for the PS+XB ecosystems. 

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

PS2+XB-183m (NA-69m, EU-62m, JP-24m, RoW-28m)

PS3+360-173m (NA-76m, EU-56m, JP-12m, RoW-29m)

PS4+XBO-175m (NA-71m, EU-61m, JP-10m, RoW-33m)

Japan saw a large drop from Gen 6 to Gen 7 but other than that, the PS+XB ecosystem has been quite stable, globally and per region. I think this shows a few notable things.

1. The PS & XB ecosystems are in large part interchangeable and their sales are dependent on one another. In other words, if one sees growth then the other must see a decline (PS going from 158m to 77m to 117m & XB going from 25m to 85m to 58m).

2. Many people “age out” of gaming as they get older and acquire more responsibilities (established careers, raising families, home ownership, etc) and have traditionally been replaced by new kids/teens who “age into” gaming on these platforms.

3. Developing regions saw massive growth in the 90s/00s. Europe, SNES+GEN-17m, PS1+N64-37m, PS2+XB-62m. RoW, SNES+GEN-4m, PS1+N64-10m, PS2+XB-28m. Growth in these regions have stagnated for the PS+XB ecosystems. 

Interesting.

I spent 20 years being exclusively console and wouldn't touch PC. Now I'm PC and dropped consoles, except Nintendo. Below are the reasons I did it, not sure if the points translate to others or not.

1) price. Consoles aren't cheap. At face value $500 is fine but add in online at $80 year, games at $80 and HDD upgrades at $200 to $300.... to get the most of the ps5 (console, hdd upgrade and online) exceeds $1000..... that PC money.

2) PC is plug and play, works just like a console.

3) consoles update as much as computers. Sony made it worse by having controller fricking updates.

4) consoles exclusives are dead. My PC is more like a PC + Xbox + ps5..... and fully BC.

Consoles, just my opinion, have forfeited their benefits over the years.  Online costs in particular just don't make console pricing attractive.  And PC sales are saving me a fortune and will offset the cost of my expensive GPU with ease.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

I spent 20 years being exclusively console and wouldn't touch PC. Now I'm PC and dropped consoles, except Nintendo. Below are the reasons I did it, not sure if the points translate to others or not.

1) price. Consoles aren't cheap. At face value $500 is fine but add in online at $80 year, games at $80 and HDD upgrades at $200 to $300.... to get the most of the ps5 (console, hdd upgrade and online) exceeds $1000..... that PC money.

2) PC is plug and play, works just like a console.

3) consoles update as much as computers. Sony made it worse by having controller fricking updates.

4) consoles exclusives are dead. My PC is more like a PC + Xbox + ps5..... and fully BC.

Consoles, just my opinion, have forfeited their benefits over the years.  Online costs in particular just don't make console pricing attractive.  And PC sales are saving me a fortune and will offset the cost of my expensive GPU with ease.  

Yea I agree with you with online being free plus emulator  you basically get everything you need in a pc. You can also download fightcade and get like all retro fighters and beat em ups with online play. There is just too much games to play for me as adult, and don't have the time.

Soundwave said:

There's 0 chance PS5 + XBox Series X/S are going to even come close to XBox 360 + PS3 sales from 15 years ago. This market segment is not growing at all. They're unlikely to match PS4 + XBox One as well or PS2 + even just either one of GameCube or XBox. 

The 3DS was eighth generation. The switch is the successor to the 3DS. And it is also 100 times more powerful. And it also competes with the play5 and the xbs (not with the play4 and the xbo). For all these reasons, the switch is a ninth generation console.
I don't know what sense it makes for you to talk about the market segment formed by play5 and xbs and not include the switch in that same sector.

Around the Network

If Sony and Nintendo manage to achieve their targets, the Switch will be at 154.82M and the PS5 at 77.30M.

For the Xbox Series X/S, the situation is very complicated and it's not likely to get any better before the release of GTA 6.

Evilms said:

If Sony and Nintendo manage to achieve their targets, the Switch will be at 154.82M and the PS5 at 77.30M.

For the Xbox Series X/S, the situation is very complicated and it's not likely to get any better before the release of GTA 6.

Funny how PS5 will be exactly at 50% of NSW with those numbers.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Playstation outselling xbox by a factor of 1 to 5.... jeez.

At this point we can all agree at least 8-10 million Xbox Series X/S were originally meant to be PS5 purchases but turned to XBOX due to lack of stock

Sony is likely never recovering those sales, they will need to expand their market if they want to surpass PS4, however growing Markets in Asia and LATAM are price sensitive and their current pricing strategy is not helping them to make waves there

PS5 lifetime sales will likely sit in 105-110 million units range