By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 59.3 Million Units as of March 2024

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

A lot of those sales are across like 6 different platforms over 13 years and a big chunk of them are with the game heavily discounted. Like I don't even like GTAV but I bought it for $10 on a Steam Sale. I think a lot of the people who want a PS5 for GTAV already own it, and even Sony knows this, this is why they are saying PS5 sales have peaked already even with PS5 Pro coming and forecasting sales to go down this coming year. 

We'll get back to this when it launches i differently think it will change the trajectory of console sales and who cares what sony predictions/estimates  both nintendo and sony  had those been  wrong plenty of times.   

Companies don't shoot for low sales targets if they don't have to. It's not good for the stock price. If Sony is saying sales have peaked and they're only expecting 18 million next fiscal year, then frankly I take their word over yours. 

Right now I don't think PS5 will catch PS4 sales and XBox sales are hilariously bad, apparently they sold like 800k-900k for last quarter which is a disaster. 

There's 0 chance PS5 + XBox Series X/S are going to even come close to XBox 360 + PS3 sales from 15 years ago. This market segment is not growing at all. They're unlikely to match PS4 + XBox One as well or PS2 + even just either one of GameCube or XBox. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 14 May 2024

Around the Network

A strong quarter for sure. While they didn't hit the absurdly optimistic original forecast of 25m they still surpassed the PS4s best fiscal year and nearly caught up to it. For the next year it's expected to fall behind the PS4 somewhat but is still gonna do really well so while the long term prospects of the console market aren't great Playstation will be fine for a while still.

zeldaring said:
Mar1217 said:

Doesn't the revenue also take the economy made by the cut down of staffs and studios they had recently.
That's one strategy they were employing to bolster their fiscal year during the Q3 fiscal meeting no ?

Anywoo, not that I'm in any surprise looking at the shipping numbers realising they completely over thought their reach with that initial 25M.
Fact is now, there factually not expecting the console to match the PS4 sales, while not far from it, it isn't the hopeful picture they were painting out last year.
Financially, they are doing well as usual and a success like HellDivers II most likely saved the First party software division revenues there.

Anywoo for those talking about GTAVI, I let myself with some reserve on it. There's no guarantee we won't see another year delay for the project, it will sell consoles to a degree of course but I don't see it changing the PS5/XSeries current trajectory, especially considering that the majority of it's market prolly owns the needed console already.

Nonetheless, they've got a lot to work here to reach those hardware numbers despite the lack of said big software release at the moment. It can change, just like HellDivers II did for the last fiscal quarter, no guarantee for the subsequent ones though

Naw GTA6 will change the trajectory big time. It already has 200 million views for gods sake. it by the far  the most loved game of all time for the casual gamer. it will do wonders for console sales. there  really isn't  many big exclusives on ps5 when you think about it that aren't on ps4. so many people i know still game on ps4.

Huhuh ...

You know that would sound real if only the people who bought GTAV in the first place durimg the 7th Gen or 8th Gen are assured to still be in the active market at this time. Will there be the same amount of people to double or even triple dip on the game as it gets new releases on PC or next gen consoles ? 

The video game market trends and the vogue of online play changes faster than it certainly did back there. GTAV transcends the typical game in the series had to that point. GTAVI isn't guaranteed of the same just because of gamer hype.

Also Youtube is not a real or good indicator of sales. 

Like I'm not saying, it won't sell big haha. I'm doubting the mythical status of sales for a game that's not even sold yet and it's effect on hardware. It will sell consoles, sure, but I think you're getting carried away in your expectations because of a past mega success that may not replicate itself as you want it to.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

xl-klaudkil said:

Soo ps5 is undertrack here?

Yes

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

We'll get back to this when it launches i differently think it will change the trajectory of console sales and who cares what sony predictions/estimates  both nintendo and sony  had those been  wrong plenty of times.   

Companies don't shoot for low sales targets if they don't have to. It's not good for the stock price. If Sony is saying sales have peaked and they're only expecting 18 million next fiscal year, then frankly I take their word over yours. 

Right now I don't think PS5 will catch PS4 sales and XBox sales are hilariously bad, apparently they sold like 800k-900k for last quarter which is a disaster. 

They are expecting 18 million for this year makes sense since they have nothing big that will move consoles. But like i said no one knows what or how big the GTA6 effect will be and it will be only on current gen consoles not PC  first year. we talking about the most hyped and most  anticipated gamer ever, it  differently has the power to change the trajectory if you don't think so we will agree to disagree, and well find out in a  few years if we are still alive lol.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

They are expecting 18 million for this year makes sense since they have nothing big that will move consoles. But like i said no one knows what or how big the GTA6 effect will be and it will be only on current gen consoles not PC  first year. we talking about the most hyped and most  anticipated gamer ever, it  differently has the power to change the trajectory if you don't think so we will agree to disagree, and well find out in a  few years if we are still alive lol.

The fact that they're forecasting a large sales decline even with a NEW super duper graphics PS5 Pro speaks volumes. 

They're not going to match even XBox 360 + PS3 sales (PS5 + XBox Series S/X) from 15 years ago which was 172 million. Or PS2 + GameCube + XBox. 

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

The fact that they're forecasting a large sales decline even with a NEW super duper graphics PS5 Pro speaks volumes. 

Like i said i would agree with you but i think GTA6 will change everything. its gonna be the console saver and push ps5 over ps4 sales even if slightly.

Soundwave said:

I would project this gen probably finishes around 112-114 mill PS5s (down a bit from PS4) and 39 mill XBox Series S/X (down a chunk from XBox One) ... that's about 153 million units combined ... the XBox 360 + PS3 combined (leaving the Wii entirely out) sold about 172 million like 15 years ago.

You can see why publishers are scrambling and having huge problems with rising budgets, because there is no growth in this userbase at all, it's declined from 15 years ago significantly actually.

For an anti-Sony salesman like you to predict 112-114 million for the PS5, it must really be a success.

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

Like i said i would agree with you but i think GTA6 will change everything. its gonna be the console saver and push ps5 over ps4 sales even if slightly.

Even slightly would not get you close to even past gens 

XBox 360 + PS3 = 172 million (not even including Wii here)

PS2 + GameCube + XBox = 202 million approx.

PS1 + N64 + Saturn = 142.26 million

PS4 + XBox One = 175 mill approx (won't include Wii U even)

They might beat the PS1 + N64 generation, but that's about it and that was like 25 years ago now. This is not great growth. 

-Adonis- said:
Soundwave said:

I would project this gen probably finishes around 112-114 mill PS5s (down a bit from PS4) and 39 mill XBox Series S/X (down a chunk from XBox One) ... that's about 153 million units combined ... the XBox 360 + PS3 combined (leaving the Wii entirely out) sold about 172 million like 15 years ago.

You can see why publishers are scrambling and having huge problems with rising budgets, because there is no growth in this userbase at all, it's declined from 15 years ago significantly actually.

For an anti-Sony salesman like you to predict 112-114 million for the PS5, it must really be a success.

It's not a terrible number but it's a number that seems to be a roof for them and obviously far below the PS2 highs. 

My other concern with that number would be surely if XBox is bleeding customers you would expect Sony to rise but it doesn't seem to be the case, Sony is just selling their normal amount even as the Xbox brand burns into irrelevance. 

Are we headed to a norm where like Sony sells 110 million consoles/gen, XBox is gone entirely and that's just it? That's a far cry from even the days of the PS3 + 360 when they sold 172 million consoles.