By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 59.3 Million Units as of March 2024

Soundwave said:

I would project this gen probably finishes around 112-114 mill PS5s (down a bit from PS4) and 39 mill XBox Series S/X (down a chunk from XBox One) ... that's about 153 million units combined ... the XBox 360 + PS3 combined (leaving the Wii entirely out) sold about 172 million like 15 years ago.

You can see why publishers are scrambling and having huge problems with rising budgets, because there is no growth in this userbase at all, it's declined from 15 years ago significantly actually.

Naw gtav6 will be game changer and probably send ps5 to 130 million plus.

Also if the stationery home console was the problem handhelds like steamdeck would be doing much better it really just the PC market getting much bigger now.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 14 May 2024

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Not much growth in this sector at all

One obvious point is though:

IF, like back in the PS3/360 era, the Series consoles would sell similiar units to PS5, the console market overall would still see growth.

Noone, except Microsoft, is responsible for its product selling.

So, while there is "no" growth overall, Nintendo still has it. And Sony's hardware revenue also grew. I know it's unpopular to say, but:

Drastically decreasing Series sales "drag" the growth of the console market down. This is why I personally took every recent statement from Spencer with a grain of salt when he said "The console business has hardly reached a point of growth." I mean, I know WHY he says it.

Anyway. PS5 is a unique occurence.

While it still sits 0.8k behind PS4 globally in total sales, it had to catch up an aligned gap due to shortages the PS4 didn't have.

In order to successfully catch up a gap though, it's not enough to sell just equal numbers. Instead, you have to, pure mathematically, exceed the other numbers in order to be able to catch up to anything.

This is why it translates to "PS5 7% ahead compared to PS4" in the US in FY23.

Which is: growth.

Last edited by Panicradio - on 14 May 2024

pavel1995 said:

I find this ironic because in nintendo's forecast they forecast a total of 154m shipped switchs for this year and the Switch I going to become the best selling console in Japanese history with 33m units sold. I think the interest in consoles is still alive, the growth hasn't been amazing but more people are playing games in this current era then in the ps4, xbone, and wiiu era.  

The problem is the *dedicated platform* game market has never grown bigger, revenue-wise, than where it was in 1982.

It managed to keep the illusion of growth through the declining arcade and handheld numbers, and market consolidation into a few platform holders (three, now increasingly two) but that source is running dry.

If the Switch 2 is a misfire (doesn't need to be a flop, mind, just a DS>3DS situation) and GTA6 doesn't turn fortunes around for consoles, I could see the dedicated platform market entering a downward spiral.

Soundwave said:

I would project this gen probably finishes around 112-114 mill PS5s (down a bit from PS4) and 39 mill XBox Series S/X (down a chunk from XBox One) ... that's about 153 million units combined ... the XBox 360 + PS3 combined (leaving the Wii entirely out) sold about 172 million like 15 years ago.

You can see why publishers are scrambling and having huge problems with rising budgets, because there is no growth in this userbase at all, it's declined from 15 years ago significantly actually.

I learned last week that Sony PSN isn't available in 75% of countries in the world. I would assume that means no Playstations are sold there too. Inevitably over time a lot of those countries should become viable markets to sell to. There is still a lot of growth potential out there, just maybe not in the traditional regions.

Doesn't the revenue also take the economy made by the cut down of staffs and studios they had recently.
That's one strategy they were employing to bolster their fiscal year during the Q3 fiscal meeting no ?

Anywoo, not that I'm in any surprise looking at the shipping numbers realising they completely over thought their reach with that initial 25M.
Fact is now, there factually not expecting the console to match the PS4 sales, while not far from it, it isn't the hopeful picture they were painting out last year.
Financially, they are doing well as usual and a success like HellDivers II most likely saved the First party software division revenues there.

Anywoo for those talking about GTAVI, I let myself with some reserve on it. There's no guarantee we won't see another year delay for the project, it will sell consoles to a degree of course but I don't see it changing the PS5/XSeries current trajectory, especially considering that the majority of it's market prolly owns the needed console already.

Nonetheless, they've got a lot to work here to reach those hardware numbers despite the lack of said big software release at the moment. It can change, just like HellDivers II did for the last fiscal quarter, no guarantee for the subsequent ones though

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

Doesn't the revenue also take the economy made by the cut down of staffs and studios they had recently.
That's one strategy they were employing to bolster their fiscal year during the Q3 fiscal meeting no ?

Anywoo, not that I'm in any surprise looking at the shipping numbers realising they completely over thought their reach with that initial 25M.
Fact is now, there factually not expecting the console to match the PS4 sales, while not far from it, it isn't the hopeful picture they were painting out last year.
Financially, they are doing well as usual and a success like HellDivers II most likely saved the First party software division revenues there.

Anywoo for those talking about GTAVI, I let myself with some reserve on it. There's no guarantee we won't see another year delay for the project, it will sell consoles to a degree of course but I don't see it changing the PS5/XSeries current trajectory, especially considering that the majority of it's market prolly owns the needed console already.

Nonetheless, they've got a lot to work here to reach those hardware numbers despite the lack of said big software release at the moment. It can change, just like HellDivers II did for the last fiscal quarter, no guarantee for the subsequent ones though

Naw GTA6 will change the trajectory big time. It already has 200 million views for gods sake. it by the far  the most loved game of all time for the casual gamer. it will do wonders for console sales. there  really isn't  many big exclusives on ps5 when you think about it that aren't on ps4. so many people i know still game on ps4.

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

Also if the stationery home console was the problem handhelds like steamdeck would be doing much better it really just the PC market getting much bigger now.

I doubt that because Sony themselves doubts it. They have already said they feel PS5 sales for this gen have peaked (yearly) and are forecasting lower sales next fiscal year even with PS5 Pro and GTAVI potentially. PS4 finished with 117 million and that was with a COVID sales surge for game consoles. The PS5 is now globally behind the PS4, so to pull ahead and finish ahead 15 million would be quite a magic trick when their forecast sales for next year are forecasting the PS4 lead over the PS5 will actually grow by another 1 million (PS4 shipped 19 mill for the equivalent year, Sony is forecasting only 18 mill PS5 this fiscal year). 

I think many people interested in buying a PS5 for GTAVI already own a PS5 frankly. 

There's a younger audience today who doesn't care about consoles like the PS5/XBox ... I think that audience is their problem. They are fine playing Roblox or Fortnite or Genshin Impact or whatever and don't need a PS5 or expensive hardware to do it. 

There's no growth in this segment because it's becoming more and more a market for old people (30+ year olds even now getting into 40 year olds) which isn't a growing market. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 14 May 2024

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

I doubt that because Sony themselves doubts it. They have already said they feel PS5 sales for this gen have peaked (yearly) and are forecasting lower sales next fiscal year even with PS5 Pro and GTAVI potentially. PS4 finished with 117 million and that was with a COVID sales surge for game consoles. The PS5 is now globally behind the PS4, so to pull ahead and finish ahead 15 million would be quite a magic trick when their forecast sales for next year are forecasting the PS4 lead over the PS5 will actually grow by another 1 million (PS4 shipped 19 mill for the equivalent year, Sony is forecasting only 18 mill PS5 this fiscal year). 

I think many people interested in buying a PS5 for GTAVI already own a PS5 frankly. 

There's a younger audience today who doesn't care about consoles like the PS5/XBox ... I think that audience is their problem. They are fine playing Roblox or Fortnite or Genshin Impact or whatever and don't need a PS5 or expensive hardware to do it. 

There's no growth in this segment because it's becoming more and more a market for old people (30+ year olds even now getting into 40 year olds) which isn't a growing market. 

GTAV sold nearly 200 million units and hasn't had a sequel for 13 years, I can see millions of casuals that don't even care about gaming just picking a current gen console just to play that game. My prediction is that it wil save ps5 from selling less then ps4 but yea if it doesn't everything will decline and i see switch 2 having a big decline as well.

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

GTAV sold nearly 200 million units and hasn't had a sequel for 13 years, I can see millions of casuals that don't even care about gaming just picking a current gen console just to play that game. My prediction is that it wil save ps5 from selling less then ps4 but yea if it doesn't everything will decline and i see switch 2 having a big decline as well.

A lot of those sales are across like 6 different platforms over 13 years and a big chunk of them are with the game heavily discounted. Like I don't even like GTAV but I bought it for $10 on a Steam Sale. I think a lot of the people who want a PS5 for GTAV already own it, and even Sony knows this, this is why they are saying PS5 sales have peaked already even with PS5 Pro coming and forecasting sales to go down this coming year. 

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

A lot of those sales are across like 6 different platforms over 13 years and a big chunk of them are with the game heavily discounted. Like I don't even like GTAV but I bought it for $10 on a Steam Sale. I think a lot of the people who want a PS5 for GTAV already own it, and even Sony knows this, this is why they are saying PS5 sales have peaked already even with PS5 Pro coming and forecasting sales to go down this coming year. 

We'll get back to this when it launches i differently think it will change the trajectory of console sales and who cares what sony predictions/estimates  both nintendo and sony  had those been  wrong plenty of times.