By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple Finally Reveals Long-Awaited AR Headset, Vision Pro, Priced At $3,500

BasilZero said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Wayyy to expensive. And then only 2 hours of battery life...

Yeah, this will be DoA lol

It will be fine looking at it its just a set of underwater goggles with a battery attached and while I'm sure that Apple knows that people water and electricity don't mix, my biggest worry is I'm not as sure about them knowing the difference between water resistance and waterproof and that could be a problem.

now about the 2hr battery life its obvious that this first version is designed just for snorkelling since that affords them the option of tackling the lack of long battery life by way of offering a cheap proprietary $1000.00 solar panel add-on, also if the goggles where for diving we would have seen instead a $45,000.00 option for a proprietary air tank. 

Last edited by mjk45 - on 09 June 2023

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

On the pure gaming side of things, the Oculus Quest 3( I hate the Meta name 🤮) will be the uncontested king of standalone and PC VR for years to come and at about 499$, you can be sure even that pricepoint of Apple will make most reflect on the idea of this product.

Shoot ! This is even more costly than most commercial VR headsets on the market ...

This is $2400 and a lot better, but not Apple
https://www.xrtoday.com/vr/pimax-reality-12k-qled-review/

spynx said:

The Apple Vision Pro also supports gaming, of courses, and there will more than 100 titles available at launch. Check out the image below to see what NBA 2K looks like on Vision Pro.

I'm not interested in VR but when they say "Plays games", what is actually playing the game? I'm pretty sure there is no way the AR headset is powerful enough to "play games" on its own, so does it mean streaming the game from a PC/Mac/Whatever into the headset? I haven't seen any description of a streaming option and the actual resolution when doing so...

Soundwave said:
Leynos said:

Parents buy those teenagers that stuff lol

in the 90s it wasn't that uncommon to pay $2500-3000 for your home PC

I think you're reaching a bit here :P Might have been the price for a gaming PC or PC enthousiast, but definitely not common for a household PC. You could get a decent home device starting at $750 to $1500. Even for a gaming PC, 3k would be a beast of a machine.

OT: I don't really see the point yet, for personal use. When watching the reveal, all I'm thinking is: why? She's in the living room looking at a place where the TV would normally be, so is it going to replace the TV and every member of the house has to buy one? Lady is sitting on the couch, picks up the headset from the table (even though it's already connected to here pocket), proceeds to stand up to check messages and answer a call. Where's the added value here? She also gets a notification on her watch, why would she need the watch if she's wearing the headset with all that screen space. Lets lay in bed with diving goggles you've had on all day for a relaxing nap...open a window, look outside. Is that other woman meditating? With eyes open, looking at virtual external images? That sort of defeats the purpose of meditating. Another lady is at home, either packing or unpacking, with the headset on. We're just going to keep it on all day? The dad watching his kids through the device is just a sad sight.

It does have some added value for professional use, such as increased screen real estate or placing 3D designs in the real world and moving through them. Will require some workflow changes in places where multiple people often share a single screen though. 

I very much like the novelty of this sort of technology, but it looks like they haven't figured out a practical personal use for it yet and are just throwing it at everything and hoping it sticks to something. We see a similar thing happen with touch screens, sometimes a physical button is the better option. VR/AR has plenty of practical use, but we don't need to be immersed in a virtual world from the moment we wake until we sleep.

drkohler said:
spynx said:

The Apple Vision Pro also supports gaming, of courses, and there will more than 100 titles available at launch. Check out the image below to see what NBA 2K looks like on Vision Pro.

I'm not interested in VR but when they say "Plays games", what is actually playing the game? I'm pretty sure there is no way the AR headset is powerful enough to "play games" on its own, so does it mean streaming the game from a PC/Mac/Whatever into the headset? I haven't seen any description of a streaming option and the actual resolution when doing so...

Why wouldn't it be powerful enough to play games on its own? 

Quest 2 has been running surprisingly sizeable VR games for 3 years now, without the awkward battery attachment that Apple is including. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Do you find this amusing? How old are you? 

anonymunchy said:
Soundwave said:

in the 90s it wasn't that uncommon to pay $2500-3000 for your home PC

I think you're reaching a bit here :P Might have been the price for a gaming PC or PC enthousiast, but definitely not common for a household PC. You could get a decent home device starting at $750 to $1500. Even for a gaming PC, 3k would be a beast of a machine.

OT: I don't really see the point yet, for personal use. When watching the reveal, all I'm thinking is: why? She's in the living room looking at a place where the TV would normally be, so is it going to replace the TV and every member of the house has to buy one? Lady is sitting on the couch, picks up the headset from the table (even though it's already connected to here pocket), proceeds to stand up to check messages and answer a call. Where's the added value here? She also gets a notification on her watch, why would she need the watch if she's wearing the headset with all that screen space. Lets lay in bed with diving goggles you've had on all day for a relaxing nap...open a window, look outside. Is that other woman meditating? With eyes open, looking at virtual external images? That sort of defeats the purpose of meditating. Another lady is at home, either packing or unpacking, with the headset on. We're just going to keep it on all day? The dad watching his kids through the device is just a sad sight.

It does have some added value for professional use, such as increased screen real estate or placing 3D designs in the real world and moving through them. Will require some workflow changes in places where multiple people often share a single screen though. 

I very much like the novelty of this sort of technology, but it looks like they haven't figured out a practical personal use for it yet and are just throwing it at everything and hoping it sticks to something. We see a similar thing happen with touch screens, sometimes a physical button is the better option. VR/AR has plenty of practical use, but we don't need to be immersed in a virtual world from the moment we wake until we sleep.

Same thoughts. 

It's either a product that is made “just in case this space becomes big in the future” or a product that is a stepping stone for future products the size of my prescription glasses that don't to be strapped to my head. The way it is the moment is not attractive. Even when I say "I can't wait to watch a movie on it", it's just to test it but not own it, I'll keep my 85 inch TV and watch things with my partner, thank you.

In the keynote, someone said "Re-imagining existing apps" and all I could say was "why?"; when Safari was reimagined for the first iPhone, the point was to ship it on a device that made computing more accessible to more people and in more real-world settings (on a train, while walking, in class, on the toilet, etc). Until you turn the headset into glasses, it's not going to make anything more accessible. 

I believe the foldable iPhone is Apple's next big thing, iOS morphing into iPadOS with apps gaining more functionality by simply folding the phone open is a great way to expand on how much computing mobile devices can do. Apple is in a great position to make a great foldable compared with the rest of competition thanks to their long-term commitment and investments in the iPad, the operating system and the "pro"er versions of apps are already there for the foldable iPhone to take advantage of. 

the-pi-guy said:
Random_Matt said:

It's AR, it will never, ever be a gaming device. 

It does both VR/AR.

It's not really intended to be a gaming device, it's a computing device. 

And every computing device plays Doom.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

SvennoJ said:
Mar1217 said:

On the pure gaming side of things, the Oculus Quest 3( I hate the Meta name 🤮) will be the uncontested king of standalone and PC VR for years to come and at about 499$, you can be sure even that pricepoint of Apple will make most reflect on the idea of this product.

Shoot ! This is even more costly than most commercial VR headsets on the market ...

This is $2400 and a lot better, but not Apple
https://www.xrtoday.com/vr/pimax-reality-12k-qled-review/

Also I think in the same range or a bit cheaper while being more customizable, lightweight form factor n all. The Bigscreen Beyond headset could become the defacto headset for the PC crowd in the years to come too. 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

The one case app that I think would be a big killer app for VR/AR that I'd like to see Apple push and popularize moreso if live event and pro sports viewing.

The fact is VR can provide an experience in this case that is light years better than watching just on TV. You can have courtside seating for NBA games. I mean shit could even be possible with certain kinds of camera tech to even allow a person to potential watch say an NHL or NFL game from a POV that looks like they essentially on the court or field themselves.

When people "who is this for??", well I'd say how many millions of people haven't wanted to sit courtside or get on field with pro athletes? Or sit in the front row of a concert of their favorite musician?

And yeah some of this functionality is out there on VR headsets, the thing is Apple is very good at making it centralized and easy to get to and creating a user friendly experience around that. They have the catchet to work with the NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, etc. too to get real implementation.

LurkerJ said:
shikamaru317 said:

Do you find this amusing? How old are you? 

I feel like the joke flew right over your head, I didn't post this as some sophomoric poop joke. The joke is that people will buy any Apple product, no matter how pointless and overpriced, just because it has the Apple logo. They will buy this overpriced AR headset, just like they would buy that smart toilet, if it was real. It doesn't matter how dumb and overpriced we core gamers here on VGC think this AR headset is, there is a whole legion of iSheep out there who will buy it and make it a success for Apple.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 07 June 2023