By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple Finally Reveals Long-Awaited AR Headset, Vision Pro, Priced At $3,500

rapsuperstar31 said:
shikamaru317 said:

No offense, but I really don't care what critics think of Apple's products, many of them are bought and paid for or just caught up in the trendiness of Apple's products just like the mass market is. You mention Airpods for instance, which are definitely overpriced (often 2x-3x pricier than alternatives that review just as well), and Apple removed the headphone jack from their phones several generations back just to try and force iPhone users to buy those overpriced Airpods.

I have an S10 myself, I bought it Amazon refurbished, and it still is a better phone than the 1st gen iPhone SE I had before it. The SE was bought brand new and developed a serious battery discharge problem within less than 2 years of purchase, and that discharge problem got so bad that I reached a point where my battery could drop from 100% to 0% in an hour or less. The S10, despite being Refurbished and only guaranteed to have 80% of the battery life of a new S10 by Amazon, has a longer battery life for me than the iPhone SE ever did, even after 2 years it still lasts for many hours of high intensity usage such as gaming, no certainly no rapid discharge problem like I was seeing from my iPhone SE by the same point. And that refurbished S10 cost me the same $200 that the brand new iPhone SE did, Samsung's high end model from 2019 bought refurbished in 2021, for the same $200 I paid for Apple's cheapest phone model in 2019, 3 years after it released in 2016. I won't lie and tell you it's a perfect phone, I have some nits to pick with both the phone itself and Android, but overall it has been a better phone for me than the iPhone SE was.

This isn't 2008, no one cares what phone someone has.  The iphone is no more trendy, than the next phone.  If someone likes iphone..great, if someone likes android...great, hell if someone likes their 15 year old flip phone...great.

Oh, if only that were true, but sadly many people do still see phones as status symbols, it is why so many people are out there shelling out $800 or $900 for a new phone every 1-2 years. They don't need any of the new features those new models offer so badly that a 1 generation upgrade is worth the price, for instance you can play pretty much every mobile game on a 4 year old phone model with pretty high graphics settings, and yet people are still out there upgrading from an iPhone 13 to an iPhone 14 or a Samsung Galaxy S22 to and S23. The only logical explanation for such an upgrade is that they still see phones as status symbols.

Now me on the other hand, I couldn't care less about a Phone as a status symbol. I care about function over form and like to get the best model possible that meets all of my needs. Unfortunately, Phone design has been going down the crapper lately, many of the top phones got rid of physical headphone jacks, iPhones lack an SD card slot so no expandable storage, most modern phones have a unibody design which makes battery replacement a huge pain in the ass compared to the older 2 piece smartphones, most modern phones have gotten too big to use with one hand if you have a smaller hand; the list of issues with modern phones goes on and on.

Around the Network

Apple have a reach other companies does not have. Even if I don't think I will get something like this for a couple of years, I like to see the tech improve.

I feel like most other VR/AR headsets are marketed as toys rather than tools. A fun thing to play around with. While the take here is more as something that can improve productivity. If it can or not is a different question. I think most who buys it will use it as an entertainment product no matter the focus of campaigns for the thing. But because of the focus some people might find it more ok to own this compared to the alternatives, even if they only will use it to play control-free beat saber and watch AR p*rn.

Last edited by Pajderman - on 12 June 2023

Soundwave said:
Runa216 said:

IT's apple. It will never be cheap or affordable to the average person. 

Affordable enough to be the no.1 cell phone seller in North America (yes, iPhone is the best selling phone model). 

Plenty of teenagers afford iPhones and Apple Watches and (gasp) even Macbooks just fine, Apple headsets will get cheaper over time too. 

Just because people buy stuff doesn't mean they can afford it. Many live way above their possibilities and struggle hard to even have enough money for good food because of that. There are just too many people who feel ashamed nowadays to buy a phone for maybe 300 bucks even though that would be more in their range or even still too much. 

Same with clothing, where many would never buy shoes or anything from companies which aren't considered "cool".

So yeah, the price of iPhones is low enough to get enough people to buy them but probably half of iPhone users complain every single day how they don't earn enough money to afford stuff which is more important.  

Just too many people don't know how to handle money and have no idea what they even spend per year or month for food, gas or whatever. They just know that "my money isn't enough".

I won't complain though. I hope a lot of people will buy this headset so that Apple will stay in this business which will not only push the industry forward but also pressure other companies to release even better products as they already do. 

Soundwave said:

I think eventually they will have models that are in the $1999.99 range, early adopters are going to be paying for a lot of Apple's R&D on this.

Unless they get competition from other companies. Hollow lens should now be made affordable for consumers.

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

shikamaru317 said:
LurkerJ said:

Do you find this amusing? How old are you? 

I feel like the joke flew right over your head, I didn't post this as some sophomoric poop joke. The joke is that people will buy any Apple product, no matter how pointless and overpriced, just because it has the Apple logo. They will buy this overpriced AR headset, just like they would buy that smart toilet, if it was real. It doesn't matter how dumb and overpriced we core gamers here on VGC think this AR headset is, there is a whole legion of iSheep out there who will buy it and make it a success for Apple.

Apple is not just any brand with any followers. Apple is  like a religion, where the followers would throw money at any priced product with an Apple badge.

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
LurkerJ said:

Nothing flew over my head because there was no joke to begin with. iSheep? again, how old are you? 

Many Apple products, besides the iPhone and the iPad, are among the best in their class and are reviewing incredibly well by PC/Android enthusiasts, this include the Watch, the AirPods, Apple TV and even the MacBooks since introduction of the M1, not to mention, a lot of their products are priced reasonably as well. I currently have the iPhone 11 and the Samsung galaxy S10+, both released in 2019, and despite the iPhone 11 costing 400 dollars less, it's running flawlessly and getting regular updates (and surprise surprise, it's getting iOS17), the S10+ is slow, clunky, buggy, and has aged terribly. This isn't a knock against Android and this isn't me saying iPhones are better, this is just an incredibly positive first hand experience of an non-premium iPhone and a good example of why these things keep on selling well. I am sure Samsungs make incredible phones as well, I probably just got unlucky with the S10+. 

Anyway, you're not here for any of this, both of your "contributions" so far are straight up trolling. 

No offense, but I really don't care what critics think of Apple's products, many of them are bought and paid for or just caught up in the trendiness of Apple's products just like the mass market is. You mention Airpods for instance, which are definitely overpriced (often 2x-3x pricier than alternatives that review just as well), and Apple removed the headphone jack from their phones several generations back just to try and force iPhone users to buy those overpriced Airpods.

I have an S10 myself, I bought it Amazon refurbished, and it still is a better phone than the 1st gen iPhone SE I had before it. The SE was bought brand new and developed a serious battery discharge problem within less than 2 years of purchase, and that discharge problem got so bad that I reached a point where my battery could drop from 100% to 0% in an hour or less. The S10, despite being Refurbished and only guaranteed to have 80% of the battery life of a new S10 by Amazon, has a longer battery life for me than the iPhone SE ever did, even after 2 years it still lasts for many hours of high intensity usage such as gaming, no certainly no rapid discharge problem like I was seeing from my iPhone SE by the same point. And that refurbished S10 cost me the same $200 that the brand new iPhone SE did, Samsung's high end model from 2019 bought refurbished in 2021, for the same $200 I paid for Apple's cheapest phone model in 2019, 3 years after it released in 2016. I won't lie and tell you it's a perfect phone, I have some nits to pick with both the phone itself and Android, but overall it has been a better phone for me than the iPhone SE was.

"I don't care what critics think of Apple's products, they're bought and paid for" .......

... along other assumptions made by you, what prevents these critics from being bought and paid for by Google and Samsung? Absolutely nothing. 

Funny you chose to pick on the AirPods, because I have the most positive experience with them just recently when I bought SONY's, Bose's, Samsung's EarPods to test them out (with the intention of returning all of them except for the one that works for me). As someone on the Autism spectrum, I have been long advised to wear noise blocking things to keep calm, but what ends up happening is the occlusive effect of these things make me hear the internal thumping I hear every foot step and it drove me nuts, on the other hand, the ANC headphones have always had a nauseating pressure effect for me that I couldn't ignore.

I was pleased to revisit the tech since Apple brought so much to the space recently, funnily enough I only did this because Linus from Linustechtips wouldn't shut the hell up about the AirPods, and he mentioned the pressure-free experience (is he paid by Apple too? give me a break).

While AirPods weren't the best at noise cancelling for me (tbh all were very comparably impressive), but they're the only one that have completely eliminated the thumping that comes with the occlusive effect in addition to exerting no pressure on my head whatsoever, I could walk and not hear any of my footsteps, I call attention to details. 

Out of the 4, the only I wanted to keep was the AirPods Pro, I didn't for the same reason I haven't switched to iPhone as a daily driver, I refuse to support non-USB-C gadgets as everything else I own is USB-C compatible (including my PS5 controller). These are just 2 just two of many ways the AirPods have differentiated themselves from the rest, and I am happy to pay extra if they address the lack of the USB-C. Others value how it compliments their Apple devices, and it surely does in a way no other EarPods have done before, people are free to buy into that. It's like making fun of people buying the series X over the series S because on product offers more than the other does.... it's nonsense. 

You want to pretend that Apple hasn't brought nothing new to the space, you're wrong, but go ahead, I am only pointing out that your nasty attitude in this thread so far would've gotten you banned if this was a Nintendo/MS/SONY thread, and for good reasons. Why you choose to continue to behave with immaturity is beyond me, many would look at us gamers and judge how many games, consoles collectables, special edition, etc we buy and has thousands of posts on anonymous forums, I guess you're fine with that too?

Me, on the other hand? Rumour has it that the next AirPods/iPhone will support USB-C, Apple, please take my money. The smartphones are the most used and the most useful devices nowadays, bar none, it's not hard to see why some are willing to overspend on them and upgrade frequently. 

I just really don't get the value here. Maybe it's the kind of think you have to use to get it, but I'm not seeing the advantage here besides you can have a big virtual screen which I guess is kind of neat.

It looks cool, but I don't think this sort of thing is going to become the next iPhone until it feels and looks like a pair or stylish sunglasses. Way too bulky to expect people to use it as their daily device. People care too much about personal appearance etc. 

But we're getting there!

What this tech is going to be by version 3/4, when it's lighter, probably even higher resolution, and more refined overall is going to be mind blowing I think.

I find that every time something is posted about Apple in certain parts of the internet, there’s this bizarre cynical circle-jerk bashing Apple, like the company personally threatens them.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.