By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple Finally Reveals Long-Awaited AR Headset, Vision Pro, Priced At $3,500

I think eventually they will have models that are in the $1999.99 range, early adopters are going to be paying for a lot of Apple's R&D on this.

Around the Network

It's funny seeing Apple basically eat Meta's lunch on two different levels. From a marketing standpoint, and arguably from a tech standpoint.

On the marketing standpoint, it's kind of funny seeing people suddenly get more interested in AR/VR. They've benefitted a lot from avoiding Meta's pitfalls. It's funny because Meta has been working on a lot of this stuff for years now, but Apple is the one to show millions of people what the tech can actually do for them; and in a real device even if it's too pricey for most people.

It's a little harder to say if Meta is actually behind tech wise. Apple and Meta have been showing opposite approaches. Apple is basically putting out a great high end headset, and their goal is to make it cheaper. Whereas Meta's strategy has been to make a low end headset and make it better. The Vision Pro is better in most areas than the Quest 2 and the Quest Pro, and it should be since it costs 10x more than the former and 3.5x more than the latter currently.

It would be interesting if the response to the Vision Pro convinced Meta to make a better Quest Pro that actually pushed Meta's tech. There seems to be a lot they're holding out on due to a variety of factors like price. 

I will guarantee though that Apple is ahead when it comes to software (UI and apps). That's been a big issue with Meta frankly...

shikamaru317 said:
LurkerJ said:

Do you find this amusing? How old are you? 

I feel like the joke flew right over your head, I didn't post this as some sophomoric poop joke. The joke is that people will buy any Apple product, no matter how pointless and overpriced, just because it has the Apple logo. They will buy this overpriced AR headset, just like they would buy that smart toilet, if it was real. It doesn't matter how dumb and overpriced we core gamers here on VGC think this AR headset is, there is a whole legion of iSheep out there who will buy it and make it a success for Apple.

In consumer psychology that applies to many, many brand/products. Shocking. Only the ignorant and biased assume it occurs only with a minority fan base of a specific brand, which usually forms because of their strange hatred of something they themselves would not buy. You my friend are a very odd individual.

the-pi-guy said:

It's funny seeing Apple basically eat Meta's lunch on two different levels. From a marketing standpoint, and arguably from a tech standpoint.

On the marketing standpoint, it's kind of funny seeing people suddenly get more interested in AR/VR. They've benefitted a lot from avoiding Meta's pitfalls. It's funny because Meta has been working on a lot of this stuff for years now, but Apple is the one to show millions of people what the tech can actually do for them; and in a real device even if it's too pricey for most people.

It's a little harder to say if Meta is actually behind tech wise. Apple and Meta have been showing opposite approaches. Apple is basically putting out a great high end headset, and their goal is to make it cheaper. Whereas Meta's strategy has been to make a low end headset and make it better. The Vision Pro is better in most areas than the Quest 2 and the Quest Pro, and it should be since it costs 10x more than the former and 3.5x more than the latter currently.

It would be interesting if the response to the Vision Pro convinced Meta to make a better Quest Pro that actually pushed Meta's tech. There seems to be a lot they're holding out on due to a variety of factors like price. 

I will guarantee though that Apple is ahead when it comes to software (UI and apps). That's been a big issue with Meta frankly...

Is this a joke post?.. Its the only way i think you could think that this in any way has done anything to the Quest 3's market. Or if you even think this thing will sell 2 million like the quest 2 and i bet soon to be quest 3.

Its also funny you now think so many people are interested in AR/Vr only nnow thanks to apple?. this has to be a joke post am i right?.

shikamaru317 said:
LurkerJ said:

Do you find this amusing? How old are you? 

I feel like the joke flew right over your head, I didn't post this as some sophomoric poop joke. The joke is that people will buy any Apple product, no matter how pointless and overpriced, just because it has the Apple logo. They will buy this overpriced AR headset, just like they would buy that smart toilet, if it was real. It doesn't matter how dumb and overpriced we core gamers here on VGC think this AR headset is, there is a whole legion of iSheep out there who will buy it and make it a success for Apple.

Nothing flew over my head because there was no joke to begin with. iSheep? again, how old are you? 

Many Apple products, besides the iPhone and the iPad, are among the best in their class and are reviewing incredibly well by PC/Android enthusiasts, this include the Watch, the AirPods, Apple TV and even the MacBooks since introduction of the M1, not to mention, a lot of their products are priced reasonably as well. I currently have the iPhone 11 and the Samsung galaxy S10+, both released in 2019, and despite the iPhone 11 costing 400 dollars less, it's running flawlessly and getting regular updates (and surprise surprise, it's getting iOS17), the S10+ is slow, clunky, buggy, and has aged terribly. This isn't a knock against Android and this isn't me saying iPhones are better, this is just an incredibly positive first hand experience of an non-premium iPhone and a good example of why these things keep on selling well. I am sure Samsungs make incredible phones as well, I probably just got unlucky with the S10+. 

Anyway, you're not here for any of this, both of your "contributions" so far are straight up trolling. 

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 07 June 2023

Around the Network
zero129 said:

Is this a joke post?.. Its the only way i think you could think that this in any way has done anything to the Quest 3's market. Or if you even think this thing will sell 2 million like the quest 2 and i bet soon to be quest 3.

My post doesn't have anything to do with sales, so I'm not sure why you are thinking that it does. Quest 3 will probably literally sell 100x more than what the Vision Pro will sell.  

I'm talking about the perception of the future. A lot of people, even people that have used AR/VR headsets, still have a lot of incorrect notions about what AR/VR is or can do.

Over 20 million views on a video that showed a VR headset that was social, and showed a number of use cases of VR. 

Compared to less than 2 million on the Quest 2 announcement video. 

zero129 said:

Its also funny you now think so many people are interested in AR/Vr only nnow thanks to apple?. this has to be a joke post am i right?.

That's not what I said.

I did not say "people were never interested in VR, and now they are because of Apple."

I'm mostly just saying "I'm seeing people who I have never seen talk about VR, suddenly talking about VR."

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 07 June 2023

I cannot fathom the idea of wasting that much money on an AR headset. I guess there are always people who will, but no electronics product is worth that much money.

Leynos said:

If you're buying your kid an Apple Watch an iphone and a Laptop. You are rich

By global standards, yes. By American standards, you just need to be an average middle class family to comfortably afford Apple products. And, even a lower middle class, what you might call working class, family can afford Apple if they're willing to prioritize it. 

LurkerJ said:
shikamaru317 said:

Nothing flew over my head because there was no joke to begin with. iSheep? again, how old are you? 

Many Apple products, besides the iPhone and the iPad, are among the best in their class and are reviewing incredibly well by PC/Android enthusiasts, this include the Watch, the AirPods, Apple TV and even the MacBooks since introduction of the M1, not to mention, a lot of their products are priced reasonably as well. I currently have the iPhone 11 and the Samsung galaxy S10+, both released in 2019, and despite the iPhone 11 costing 400 dollars less, it's running flawlessly and getting regular updates (and surprise surprise, it's getting iOS17), the S10+ is slow, clunky, buggy, and has aged terribly. This isn't a knock against Android and this isn't me saying iPhones are better, this is just an incredibly positive first hand experience of an non-premium iPhone and a good example of why these things keep on selling well. I am sure Samsungs make incredible phones as well, I probably just got unlucky with the S10+. 

Anyway, you're not here for any of this, both of your "contributions" so far are straight up trolling. 

No offense, but I really don't care what critics think of Apple's products, many of them are bought and paid for or just caught up in the trendiness of Apple's products just like the mass market is. You mention Airpods for instance, which are definitely overpriced (often 2x-3x pricier than alternatives that review just as well), and Apple removed the headphone jack from their phones several generations back just to try and force iPhone users to buy those overpriced Airpods.

I have an S10 myself, I bought it Amazon refurbished, and it still is a better phone than the 1st gen iPhone SE I had before it. The SE was bought brand new and developed a serious battery discharge problem within less than 2 years of purchase, and that discharge problem got so bad that I reached a point where my battery could drop from 100% to 0% in an hour or less. The S10, despite being Refurbished and only guaranteed to have 80% of the battery life of a new S10 by Amazon, has a longer battery life for me than the iPhone SE ever did, even after 2 years it still lasts for many hours of high intensity usage such as gaming, no certainly no rapid discharge problem like I was seeing from my iPhone SE by the same point. And that refurbished S10 cost me the same $200 that the brand new iPhone SE did, Samsung's high end model from 2019 bought refurbished in 2021, for the same $200 I paid for Apple's cheapest phone model in 2019, 3 years after it released in 2016. I won't lie and tell you it's a perfect phone, I have some nits to pick with both the phone itself and Android, but overall it has been a better phone for me than the iPhone SE was.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 07 June 2023

shikamaru317 said:
LurkerJ said:

No offense, but I really don't care what critics think of Apple's products, many of them are bought and paid for or just caught up in the trendiness of Apple's products just like the mass market is. You mention Airpods for instance, which are definitely overpriced (often 2x-3x pricier than alternatives that review just as well), and Apple removed the headphone jack from their phones several generations back just to try and force iPhone users to buy those overpriced Airpods.

I have an S10 myself, I bought it Amazon refurbished, and it still is a better phone than the 1st gen iPhone SE I had before it. The SE was bought brand new and developed a serious battery discharge problem within less than 2 years of purchase, and that discharge problem got so bad that I reached a point where my battery could drop from 100% to 0% in an hour or less. The S10, despite being Refurbished and only guaranteed to have 80% of the battery life of a new S10 by Amazon, has a longer battery life for me than the iPhone SE ever did, even after 2 years it still lasts for many hours of high intensity usage such as gaming, no certainly no rapid discharge problem like I was seeing from my iPhone SE by the same point. And that refurbished S10 cost me the same $200 that the brand new iPhone SE did, Samsung's high end model from 2019 bought refurbished in 2021, for the same $200 I paid for Apple's cheapest phone model in 2019, 3 years after it released in 2016. I won't lie and tell you it's a perfect phone, I have some nits to pick with both the phone itself and Android, but overall it has been a better phone for me than the iPhone SE was.

This isn't 2008, no one cares what phone someone has.  The iphone is no more trendy, than the next phone.  If someone likes iphone..great, if someone likes android...great, hell if someone likes their 15 year old flip phone...great.