By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple Finally Reveals Long-Awaited AR Headset, Vision Pro, Priced At $3,500

Soundwave said:
Runa216 said:

IT's apple. It will never be cheap or affordable to the average person. 

Affordable enough to be the no.1 cell phone seller in North America (yes, iPhone is the best selling phone model). 

Plenty of teenagers afford iPhones and Apple Watches and (gasp) even Macbooks just fine, Apple headsets will get cheaper over time too. 

Parents buy those teenagers that stuff lol

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Soundwave said:

Affordable enough to be the no.1 cell phone seller in North America (yes, iPhone is the best selling phone model). 

Plenty of teenagers afford iPhones and Apple Watches and (gasp) even Macbooks just fine, Apple headsets will get cheaper over time too. 

Which means people can afford it. 

Like to be honest if you take these as computer platforms, in the 90s it wasn't that uncommon to pay $2500-3000 for your home PC (which would be like $7000+ today, lol, but even then it was a lot of money). 

3500 for gen 1 likely means it'll eventually settle in about 2000-2500 as the more standard pricing I think as iterations come and things like SE versions become available, which isn't that dissimilar to a Macbook Pro or something. 

I mean ultimately this is basically a computer platform, it's not just a headset, you get the same hardware that you get in a Macbook Pro and don't need to tether it to a separate platform to use it, you can use this as your daily home computer if you want. 

Not something I would purchase at this time, but if the price comes down significantly over the years as the technology improves I could have interest in it one day. More than likely at least 5 years away for me though.

Soundwave said:
Leynos said:

Like to be honest if you take these as computer platforms, in the 90s it wasn't that uncommon to pay $2500-3000 for your home PC (which would be like $7000+ today, lol, but even then it was a lot of money). 

3500 for gen 1 likely means it'll eventually settle in about 2000-2500 as the more standard pricing I think as iterations come and things like SE versions become available, which isn't that dissimilar to a Macbook Pro or something. 

I mean ultimately this is basically a computer platform, it's not just a headset, you get the same hardware that you get in a Macbook Pro and don't need to tether it to a separate platform to use it, you can use this as your daily home computer if you want. 

Rich parents

Random_Matt said:

It's AR, it will never, ever be a gaming device. 

It does both VR/AR.

It's not really intended to be a gaming device, it's a computing device. 

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Soundwave said:

Rich parents

Must be a lot of rich parents then

https://www.phonearena.com/news/9-out-of-10-American-teenagers-own-an-iPhone_id143073#:~:text=According%20to%20one%20recent%20survey,the%20share%2010%20years%20ago.

9/10 American teenagers have an iPhone. 

Apple products are pricier but it's not like they're way out of reach for the average consumer, do you fall out of your seat if you're on an airplane and see the person next to you has a Macbook or iPad? Probably not. 

If you're buying your kid an Apple Watch an iphone and a Laptop. You are rich

Soundwave said:
Leynos said:

Rich parents

Must be a lot of rich parents then

https://www.phonearena.com/news/9-out-of-10-American-teenagers-own-an-iPhone_id143073#:~:text=According%20to%20one%20recent%20survey,the%20share%2010%20years%20ago.

9/10 American teenagers have an iPhone. 

Apple products are pricier but it's not like they're way out of reach for the average consumer, do you fall out of your seat if you're on an airplane and see the person next to you has a Macbook or iPad? Probably not. 

A lot of times, carriers like Tmobile will give you a free third or fourth line for you kids and include a free iphone as well as long as you stay with them for two years.  If you want to leave a year later, carriers like ATT will than buy out your contract from Tmobile and take you.

$3500 is still in the peasant range. Not interested.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Apple sells like 23-30 million Macbooks a year too ... that's more than Switch or PS4, like these aren't rare items that only a select few have.