By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple Finally Reveals Long-Awaited AR Headset, Vision Pro, Priced At $3,500

Soundwave said:

Apple sells like 23-30 million Macbooks a year too ... that's more than Switch or PS4, like these aren't rare items that only a select few have.

People here live in the 2006 when only a few bothered to buy their devices. Since then Apple has revolutionised industries with iTunes, iPod, iPhone, iPad, health-centric wearables like Watch, wireless EarPods, and have dazzled the industry with their ARM-based computers (although Nintendo finished their ARM-transition sooner).

The userbase is growing every year and so is Google. I am happy for both and glad the computing pie doesn't belong to one company anymore. 

Around the Network
rapsuperstar31 said:

Not something I would purchase at this time, but if the price comes down significantly over the years as the technology improves I could have interest in it one day. More than likely at least 5 years away for me though.

I don't know if this product will survive that many years. I could definitely use AR glasses that are the size of my prescription glasses, and maybe that's the goal, but to get there, you need these headsets to either survive many iterations, which I think is very hard to achieve.  

As expected, a very polished product. I am definitely intrigued, I want to try watching a movie on this thing! (I still think this thing won't take off though)

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 06 June 2023

IMO this will be a big part of the future of computing, Apple is on the right track, just going to take some iterations to get there.

There already are AR headsets with a more sunglasses type form factor, but for all the tech that Apple is putting in there now that form factor probably wasn't the best for now. 

Around the Network

On the pure gaming side of things, the Oculus Quest 3( I hate the Meta name 🤮) will be the uncontested king of standalone and PC VR for years to come and at about 499$, you can be sure even that pricepoint of Apple will make most reflect on the idea of this product.

Shoot ! This is even more costly than most commercial VR headsets on the market ...

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Wayyy to expensive. And then only 2 hours of battery life...

Yeah, this will be DoA lol

BasilZero said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Wayyy to expensive. And then only 2 hours of battery life...

Yeah, this will be DoA lol

This version is just to get the ball rolling, they're not expecting this to sell like the iPad or iPhone out of the gate. 

They are working on a cheaper model from the rumors too. 

There almost certainly will be larger battery sizes for people who want that, and you can still use it plugged in for as long as you want but 2 hours should be a lot for any kind of single use case where you're walking around with it on and no outlet around I would think. 

I don't think the battery thing is going to be as much of an issue as people think, even if you're like sitting down to watch a 3 hour movie on it, in that case you'd just plug it in, unless you are for some reason planning to watch a movie while you walk around the house? 

This is more like what the Macintosh home computer (the one that invented the mouse and a lot of the things we think of when we think of modern home PCs) ... it took over a year sell 500,000. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 06 June 2023

Soundwave said:

Apple sells like 23-30 million Macbooks a year too ... that's more than Switch or PS4, like these aren't rare items that only a select few have.

They have like less than 10% global market share.

Macs contribute less than 7% of their revenue.

I am a mac user, even I know they are super niche. 

Last edited by Random_Matt - on 07 June 2023

UnderwaterFunktown said:

$3,500, lol.

I think I'd rather pay my rent for 5 months.

In my case taking into account currency conversion about the same, $315 Australian dollars a week and that's cheap for a good sized 2 bedroom open plan villa unit that because it sits on top of a bottom level made up of a large basement/rumpus room and garage the height affords me a great view of the bay and nearby sand  spit that marks the end point of seven mile beach.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 06 June 2023

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot