By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NS Sells 121M, PS5 Sales Up 36% Year-on-Year - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Dec 25-31

If you missed the Game News Roundup it is now live on YouTube. 

I go over the following news and sales:

• Bobby Kotick Says Sony is 'Trying to Sabotage' Microsoft's Activision Deal
  • Rumor: Bobby Kotick 'Will Absolutely Remain' as Activision CEO If Microsoft Deal Falls Through
  • PS5 Best-Selling Console in the US in January, Dead Space Debuts in 2nd
  • PS5 Best-Selling Console in the UK in January, Switch in 2nd, and Xbox Series X|S in 3rd
  • PS5 Best-Selling Console in Europe in January as Sales Increased 202% Year-on-Year
  • Nintendo on $70 Games: Price is Determined on a 'Case-by-Case Basis'

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Here is how the new Hardware Charts are looking. There is one last thing to do then we will hopefully be able to bring everything live. Right now global is auto tabulated whenever any data is available. As an example I will be posting Japan data first and that means global would ONLY reflect the Japan data. So Bandorr is looking at a way to "hide" the global data on the Hardware Charts and have them show as "N/A" until I make them visible.

We would also need to add a disclaimer to a couple of pages warning people the latest month of data might be incomplete until all the regional data is posted. These pages: https://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php - https://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_date.php

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

We have been doing more testing with the new tools and came across some more bugs, which have been fixed. I am still doing more testing seeing if I can break it before we bring the new tools and Hardware Charts live. 

We are going to change N/A to TBA to make it more clear not all the estimates for a given week/month have been posted yet. Ie. going forward Japan estimates would be posted first, so the other regions will show TBA until said data is posted. 

One funny thing is I was curious how big of a figure I could input and apparently the max is 2,147,483,647. Safe to say we won't be seeing any console sell that much. 

trunkswd said:

One funny thing is I was curious how big of a figure I could input and apparently the max is 2,147,483,647. Safe to say we won't be seeing any console sell that much. 

Just wait for Starfield to launch and you'll see

trunkswd said:

Here is how the new Hardware Charts are looking. There is one last thing to do then we will hopefully be able to bring everything live. Right now global is auto tabulated whenever any data is available. As an example I will be posting Japan data first and that means global would ONLY reflect the Japan data. So Bandorr is looking at a way to "hide" the global data on the Hardware Charts and have them show as "N/A" until I make them visible.

We would also need to add a disclaimer to a couple of pages warning people the latest month of data might be incomplete until all the regional data is posted. These pages: https://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php - https://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_date.php

would it be possible when numbers move into the millions to put an M instead of a K

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

So ... when this big awaited update should happen ? We all wait every week, for the next week and every day for the next day .. it will soon become march, so instead of only January we will look out for February numbers as well ..

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 20 February 2023

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown  /  YOY Charts

yo33331 said:

So ... when this big awaited update should happen ? We all wait every week, for the next week and every day for the next day .. it will soon become march, so instead of only January we will look out for February numbers as well ..

Hopefully everything will be ready this week. All the tools have been tested and bugs we've come across have been fixed. I'm not a coder, so it depends how long it takes Bandorr to finish everything up. 

trunkswd said:
yo33331 said:

Hopefully everything will be ready this week. All the tools have been tested and bugs we've come across have been fixed. I'm not a coder, so it depends how long it takes Bandorr to finish everything up. 

You adjusted the Switch up ?

SKMBlake said:
trunkswd said:

You adjusted the Switch up ?

Think it was just the old 121.00m figure appearing again on the home page briefly. This is what it was before switch was adjusted down.

Showing back at a lower figure now.

No adjustments. Bandorr had moved all the tools to the live table and I was testing it by posting Japan figures. There was a bug that came up, so Bandorr quickly deleted those figures.