By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NS Sells 121M, PS5 Sales Up 36% Year-on-Year - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Dec 25-31

PS5 outsold the Atari 2600 Next target The N64

Around the Network

New Game News Roundup is live on YouTube! 

• PS5 stock improves
  • Tidbits from the Phil Spencer IGN interview
  • Microsoft Lead Claims Sony Mislead EU Regulators Over Call of Duty Parity
  • Last of Us HBO series renewed for season 2
  • And more

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Slownenberg said:
PotentHerbs said:

They sold them lol. You might want to look at how abysmal PS5 stock levels were for the first half of 2022 to find your answer. 

lol okay, I guess I didn't realize just how god awful PS5 was doing rest of the year haha

This year should be interesting to watch for PS5 as presumably supply will be plentiful so we'll get to see how much has been lack of demand for the system vs lack of supply. If it has just been lack of supply holding it down then it'll probably go up to the 18m/19m levels that PS4 was hitting during its peak years.

Today is the first time I see come PS5 in stock at BestBuy.ca (haven't checked since Christmas though, but up to and including the holidays it was still "coming soon" not available, sold as soon as they came in)

We also had a price hike here (CAD 650 now for disc version) while price of other things have gone up a lot more
https://www.narcity.com/toronto/someone-in-ontario-found-a-42-salad-at-sobeys-people-arent-impressed
CAD 42 for a salad bowl lol.

I imagine console sales will slow down more. Most early adopters have got one by now and for those waiting for a price drop, well it went the other way :/
In a surprise twist Series X is now out of stock (CAD 600 here) Series S is readily available (CAD 320). Series S should be doing well at half the price of a ps5. (However the 1tb extension card is CAD 275 ouch)

New Game News Roundup is live on YouTube! 

Here is the list of news and sales covered in the video:

• PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison in the US - December 2022
  • Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One Sales Comparison - December 2022
  • God of War: Ragnarök Sales Top 11 Million Units, Fastest-Selling 1st-Party PlayStation Game
  • Capcom Updates Its Best-Sellers Lists - RE2 at 11.2M, Monster Hunter World at 18.6M
  • PlayStation Plus Monthly Games for February 2023 Announced
  • PlayStation Plus Collection to be Removed on May 9
  • Redfall to Require Persistent Online Connection for Single Player and Co-op
  • Rumor: EA Cancels Single Player Game Set in the Universe Apex Legends and Titanfall
  • 343 Reportedly Switching to Unreal Engine and is 'All But Starting From Scratch'
  • Xbox Series X and S Price to Increase in Japan on February 17

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

For anyone wondering what happened to the hardware updates. Here is what I wrote in another thread:

We are working on making changes on how we post the estimates that are taking a bit longer than expected.

Going forward the plan is to post the entire month of estimates at once PER region. Ie. when all the Japan data (Famitsu) for a month comes in I will post ALL the weeks for said month. When GamesIndustry posts its UK and Europe monthly reports I will post the Europe estimates for said month. When NPD posts its US monthly report I will post the US, Canada, and Latin America estimates for said month. After that I will post the other regions (Asia, MEA, Oceania) to finish up the worldwide estimates.

The plan with the new "Hardware Chart" on the front page is to have two of them. One that has the monthly sales for the latest month and another that has the weekly sales, but with a drop down so you can see the weekly sales for all the weeks in the most recent month.

The main reason for this change is to make our initial estimates more accurate than in the past. They won't be 100% spot on, but should be closer than before. The weekly sales articles will now be done once per month per region. Ie the "Worldwide Hardware Estimates for X week", the "Sales Comparison Charts" and "Launch Sales Comparison" will have an article for Japan, Europe, US, as well as worldwide. 

Bandorr has setup the new tools for me so I can post all the weeks in a given month at the same time. The last step is the new Hardware Charts on the front page. Once those are done I will get to posting the January data starting with Japan and hope nothing breaks. We have tested the new tools in a test table and it works fine. But you never know. 

Around the Network

I'm looking foward to see the Switch vs DS Sales Comparison - December 2022 - Sales

New Game News Roundup is now live on YouTube. 

@Bandorr is working on the updated Hardware Charts. Visually they will look the same as now, but the weekly one will have a drop down where you can select the different weeks of the latest month.

It is still a work in progress, but here is what he has created. (Yes, I use dark mode). If anyone has any suggestions on tweaks feel free to let us know. 

trunkswd said:

If anyone has any suggestions on tweaks feel free to let us know. 

Yep.

Please add Year to Date for every single console on the top page. (as it was available for so much time)

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

yo33331 said:
trunkswd said:

If anyone has any suggestions on tweaks feel free to let us know. 

Yep.

Please add Year to Date for every single console on the top page. (as it was available for so much time)

You mean in the bar graph, right?