By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Jump, PS5 and XS Sales Up Year-on-Year - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Oct 30-Nov 5

Be sure to share the weekly breakdown article here.

Switch Sales Jump, PS5 and XS Sales Up Year-on-Year - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Oct 30-Nov 5

The Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console with 436,049 units sold for the week ending November 5, 2022, according to VGChartz estimates. The Switch has now sold an estimated 114.71 million units lifetime.

The Nintendo Switch – OLED Model Pokémon Scarlet & Violet Edition released this week causing a big increase in sales for the Nintendo Switch.

The PlayStation 5 sold an estimated 275,723 units to bring its lifetime sales to 25.56 million units. The Xbox Series X|S sold 210,723 units to bring their lifetime sales to 17.99 million units.

PS5 sales compared to the same week for the PS4 in 2015 are down by over 414,000 units, while the Xbox Series X|S compared to the same week for the Xbox One are down by nearly 41,000 units. PS4 sold 689,929 units for the week ending November 7, 2015 and Xbox One sales were at 251,654 units.

One main reason for the big drop in generation-on-generation sales is Call of Duty: Black Ops III launched in the week ending November 7, 2015, as well as the continued limited stock for the PlayStation 5and Xbox Series X.

The PlayStation 4 sold an estimated 1,676 units, while the Xbox One sold 105 units.

PlayStation 5 sales compared to the same week a year ago are up by 12,723 (4.9%), while Xbox Series X|S sales are up by 14,227 units (7.3%) and Nintendo Switch sales are down by 89,615 units (-17.1%).

The PlayStation 4 is down 25,013 units (-93.7%) year-over-year and the Xbox One is down 3,835 units (-97.3%).

Looking at sales week-on-week, the Nintendo Switch sales are up by nearly 170,000 units, PlayStation 5 sales are down by nearly 52,000 units, and Xbox Series X|S sales are down by over 7,000 units.

2022 year-to-date, the Nintendo Switch has sold an estimated 13.00 million units, the PlayStation 5 has sold 8.56 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S has sold 6.72 million units.

Global hardware estimates (Followed by lifetime sales):

1. Switch - 436,049 (114,713,572)
  2. PlayStation 5 - 275,723 (25,559,846)
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 210,723 (17,988,408)
  4. PlayStation 4 - 1,676 (117,013,985)
  5. Xbox One - 105 (51,278,463)
Americas (US, Canada, Latin America) hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 145,333
  2. PlayStation 5 - 127,329
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 110,293
  4. PlayStation 4 - 1,052
  5. Xbox One - 71
Europe hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 126,844
  2. PlayStation 5 - 97,362
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 66,199
  4. PlayStation 4 - 332
  5. Xbox One - 26
Asia (Japan, mainland Asia, Middle East) hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 146,356
  2. PlayStation 5 - 39,085
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 22,926
  4. PlayStation 4 - 274
  5. Xbox One - 4
Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 17,516
  2. PlayStation 5 - 11,947
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 11,305
  4. PlayStation 4 - 18
  5. Xbox One - 4

VGChartz Methodology: Hardware estimates are based on retail sampling and trends in individual countries, which are then extrapolated to represent the wider region. This typically allows us to produce figures that end up being within 10% of the actual totals.

This data is regularly compared against official shipment figures released by the console manufacturers and figures estimated by regional trackers with greater market coverage than ourselves. We then update our own estimates to bring them into line with those figures. This can result in frequent changes often within a short space of time, but we feel it's important to prioritise accuracy over consistency.

Note that our estimates are based on sell-through data (units sold to consumers). In almost all cases the figures released by console manufacturers are based on shipment data (sell-in), where as soon as a device has left the factory and entered the supply chain for delivery it is considered a sale. This is why there is always a difference between the companies’ figures (sell-in) and VGChartz estimates (sell-through), even after we’ve made adjustments. The one exception to that is when a console has been discontinued and the remaining stock has finally sold out – at that point the figures will match.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 15 November 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

The Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console with 436,049 units sold for the week ending November 5, 2022, according to VGChartz estimates. The Switch has now sold an estimated 114.71 million units lifetime.

Those 436k I am sure, as almost always happen, month from now (or even after the quorter report comes out in early february if you want) with adjustments and everything (again just like many many times in the past and almost every time) will probably fall to final 350-380k number for the week. But still impressive number no doubt.

P.S. I like how you are saying why those drops (differences) or jumps happen. Continue.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 14 November 2022

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown  /  YOY Charts

yo33331 said:

Those 436k I am sure, as almost always happen, month from now (or even after the quorter report comes out in early february if you want) with adjustments and everything (again just like many many times in the past and almost every time) will probably fall to final 350-380k number for the week. But still impressive number no doubt.

Most of the data we have for Switch had it flat or down only a small amount year-on-year. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

yo33331 said:

P.S. I like how you are saying why those drops (differences) or jumps happen. Continue.

If there is a notable reason I'll try to remember to add it. Seeing the big drop gen-on-gen I figured it was due to Call of Duty and looking it up I was right. 

PS5 is going to see a big increase in sales for the next update. It is looking like there was a ton of stock available for the launch of God of War Ragnarök. 

trunkswd said:

Most of the data we have for Switch had it flat or down only a small amount year-on-year. 

The adjustments that I am seeing in last year and particularly in this year and not so small. Going back 2021 year was originally estimated as 25.2M and now is 24.7M. This is 500k down. Which is not also big difference but it's something. However this year there were adjustments almost every two weeks or so and every time I remember switch is adjusted down. And every time it is doing around 300k weekly for example 1 month down the line when I check it is 250 or 270k not the originally 300k. There was week that was close to 450k. Now the same week is 390k.

This is not me saying anything about the work you are doing, or the estimates, don't take me wrong here. The site is pretty accurate and estimates are almost always just on point with negligible differences.

I am just saying that by history, I am doubling down that Switch will just get adjusted down (as always) and this specific week (as probably other to follow) will be adjusted down to between 350 and 380k. It may happen 2 weeks from now, month from now, or at the quorter report. Or most likely gradually. 2 weeks from now will get adjusted down by 20k, then 20-30k more and then 1 more till it get's to finally total of the range I just gave. (after maybe the quorter report in early february).

I just say this because some people look and remember every week sales level and after some time they remain dissapointed when they see the final lower than expected numbers. And I just explain why it is that way, and why they may remember all summer long switch weeks around 300k each, and when you go now and see almost all of the weeks are under 300k and most of them going in the 240-260/270k range.

Anyway if I have to bet about let's say the PS5, I think (based on history by now) it will be adjusted up.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 14 November 2022

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown  /  YOY Charts

Around the Network

i don't think the switch's sales have been so high since the latest reports show that it lost in the United States and Europe

Very impressive Switch sales.

Even with the high sales for this week, Switch is down almost 90k compared to the same week a year ago.

I was expecting a decrease of about 15% year on year compared to 2021, but it seems that it will be higher than that.

Last edited by kazuyamishima - on 14 November 2022

yo33331 said:
trunkswd said:

The adjustments that I am seeing in last year and particularly in this year and not so small. Going back 2021 year was originally estimated as 25.2M and now is 24.7M. This is 500k down. Which is not also big difference but it's something. However this year there were adjustments almost every two weeks or so and every time I remember switch is adjusted down. And every time it is doing around 300k weekly for example 1 month down the line when I check it is 250 or 270k not the originally 300k. There was week that was close to 450k. Now the same week is 390k.

This is not me saying anything about the work you are doing, or the estimates, don't take me wrong here. The site is pretty accurate and estimates are almost always just on point with negligible differences.

I am just saying that by history, I am doubling down that Switch will just get adjusted down (as always) and this specific week (as probably other to follow) will be adjusted down to between 350 and 380k. It may happen 2 weeks from now, month from now, or at the quorter report. Or most likely gradually. 2 weeks from now will get adjusted down by 20k, then 20-30k more and then 1 more till it get's to finally total of the range I just gave. (after maybe the quorter report in early february).

I just say this because some people look and remember every week sales level and after some time they remain dissapointed when they see the final lower than expected numbers. And I just explain why it is that way, and why they may remember all summer long switch weeks around 300k each, and when you go now and see almost all of the weeks are under 300k and most of them going in the 240-260/270k range.

Anyway if I have to bet about let's say the PS5, I think (based on history by now) it will be adjusted up.

Actually from what I know, VGchartz estimate was lower than the actual data comparing it to the recent quarterly report we had. We had it at 113.49 million Switches sold by end of September, but the actual number was 114.33 million. So instead of adjusting down, it should be adjusted up. In general, every console might have to be adjusted slightly up. 

vgchartz measures consumer units sold sony and nintendo data are shipped units.