By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 44, 2022 (Oct 24 - Oct 30)

GT7 showing some incredible legs.

It should be around 400K retail copies sold with PS4/PS5. Digital will push it anywhere to 600K - 900K total, IMO. It will be Sony's first title, in a long time, that will hit 1M+ units sold in Japan.

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:

I really think you're reading into this wrong. These numbers are for the week before the Pokemon themed Switch comes out in Japan. In addition, this is the lowest week Switch has had this year, with most weeks being almost double this number or more. It's much more likely that this sudden drop is due to people waiting for the new Switch themed model than it is a prediction for the future. 

Also, 800k is way too low for the holiday. 1.1M is reasonable, but 800k means Switch sells no more than 100k on average from here until the end of the year. That's not happening. Heck, it'll probably hit over 100k next week and there will definitely be at least one week they almost hit 200k. So you're pretty much saying that after next week there will be multiple weeks with only 50k units sold which I just can't see. 

I am giving a range here. I am not saying it will sell the lowest given number from me. It is range. It may do 1M. Why when someone is doing prediction most people just only get only the lowest (or only the highest, depending on their opinion) numbers ? And also even with 800k prediction this means that switch will sell 100k per week not 50k. Your math isn't right. However I said between 800k and 1M. So why don't take 1M ? I already said that it will hover between 100k and 150k weekly and even I've told it may even have a week reaching 200k just for the record. I am not excluding this possibility. But yeah, numbers around 100k or even better for holiday weeks in japan is very good sales level. Even more when you think of Switch's age.

Also as I already stated, software titles don't boost the Switch so much now as they used to. See last 3 years for the system and weeks where big title has launched. Pokemon may do some boost, but it won't be OMG effect. Also this week was the lowest yes, however there are many other weeks that the systems have done sales like 50-60-70k weekly. And okay there are some weeks early in the year where it has done 80k, however do you see the pattern here ? from 80k weekly (we are speaking no big software title launches here) to 40-50-60k sales week when there is nothing happening. And yes I ironically say when there is no big software title launches when I said they don't give such a boost. They give some boost. Just the effect is not so powerful as the last 3 years. And will get more and more weak with the time move on because Switch reaches saturation point, and whoever wanted one already have one. We will see soon enough. Also with the way it is going, I can't see Switch making more than 3M for the next year in japan. Even this may be much.

P.S. You've probably saw wrong. I gave 800k to 1M for the worldwide weekly numbers for the Switch. For my prediction for japan I said no more than 1M for november + december.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 04 November 2022

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

yo33331 said:

I am giving a range here. I am not saying it will sell the lowest given number from me. It is range. It may do 1M. Why when someone is doing prediction most people just only get only the lowest (or only the highest, depending on their opinion) numbers ? And also even with 800k prediction this means that switch will sell 100k per week not 50k. Your math isn't right. However I said between 800k and 1M. So why don't take 1M ? I already said that it will hover between 100k and 150k weekly and even I've told it may even have a week reaching 200k just for the record. I am not excluding this possibility. But yeah, numbers around 100k or even better for holiday weeks in japan is very good sales level. Even more when you think of Switch's age.

Also as I already stated, software titles don't boost the Switch so much now as they used to. See last 3 years for the system and weeks where big title has launched. Pokemon may do some boost, but it won't be OMG effect. Also this week was the lowest yes, however there are many other weeks that the systems have done sales like 50-60-70k weekly. And okay there are some weeks early in the year where it has done 80k, however do you see the pattern here ? from 80k weekly (we are speaking no software launches here) to 40-50-60k sales week when there is nothing happening. And yes I ironically say when there is no software launches when I said they don't give such a boost. They give some boost. Just the effect is not so powerful as the last 3 years. And will get more and more weak with the time move on because Switch reaches saturation point, and whoever wanted one already have one. We will see soon enough. Also with the way it is going, I can't see Switch making more than 3M for the next year in japan. Even this may be much.

I specifically stated it'd have to sell an average of 100k in my post, but with next week likely being over 100k and at least one week being almost 200k there would have to be multiple weeks of 50k (or almost all of the weeks aside from those to being 75k) for it to average that way. My math does check out. 

If next week is, say, 150k and there is another week with 200k that is 350k with 6 weeks remaining to only sell 450k, which is 75k for the remainder of the weeks (which doesn't make sense) or multiple 50k weeks with some 100k+ weeks. Neither of those make sense.

What's the point of offering a lowest prediction if you don't think it will hit that low? Clearly you do think it's a possibility. I'm saying it won't. Your max should be closer to the min. Your min shouldn't exist. Especially if you think that it will hit 100k weekly with some 150k and 200k. That means it will guaranteed not hit 800k. Your math is what doesn't check out. 

When Splatoon 3 themed Switch launched the console sold 180k in Japan and then 130k the week after. So Pokemon will absolutely give it a boost this year because Splatoon 3 did just two months ago. 

Doctor_MG said:

I specifically stated it'd have to sell an average of 100k in my post, but with next week likely being over 100k and at least one week being almost 200k there would have to be multiple weeks of 50k (or almost all of the weeks aside from those to being 75k) for it to average that way. My math does check out. 

If next week is, say, 150k and there is another week with 200k that is 350k with 6 weeks remaining to only sell 450k, which is 75k for the remainder of the weeks (which doesn't make sense) or multiple 50k weeks with some 100k+ weeks. Neither of those make sense.

What's the point of offering a lowest prediction if you don't think it will hit that low? Clearly you do think it's a possibility. I'm saying it won't. Your max should be closer to the min. Your min shouldn't exist. Especially if you think that it will hit 100k weekly with some 150k and 200k. That means it will guaranteed not hit 800k. Your math is what doesn't check out. 

When Splatoon 3 themed Switch launched the console sold 180k in Japan and then 130k the week after. So Pokemon will absolutely give it a boost this year because Splatoon 3 did just two months ago. 

First of all I am copying here my added text to my last post:

P.S. You've probably saw wrong. I gave 800k to 1M for the worldwide weekly numbers for the Switch. For my prediction for japan I said no more than 1M for november + december.

So as you can see I've never ever gave 800k prediction for japan, but instead 1M at most, my 800k prediction was for worldwide week numbers.

Second, why are you calculating that the 200k week have to be other than the next ? I said there may be one fluke week with 200k. So that may very well be the next one. It's counted toward november .

And when you taking my 1M into calculation you get that there is 800k left for 7 weeks. Which is around 120K per week on average for every holiday week going ahead for the Switch. Why not ? The point of offering a range is because the numbers are in hundreds and no one can't predict exact number, or if actually succesed it will be very big luck when you are working with hundreds and thousands. That's why the range is more adequate. But for japan specifically I've said 1M at most in my previous post. The range was for the worldwide weekly numbers.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 04 November 2022

Am I wrong or the pokemon game comes out on november 18th ? three weeks from the week ending october 30th ? Why is everyone saying it will come next week ? Even the themed Switch comes out on november 11th which is also no next week (from the week ending oct. 30th)

Around the Network
yo33331 said:

Am I wrong or the pokemon game comes out on november 18th ? three weeks from the week ending october 30th ? Why is everyone saying it will come next week ? Even the themed Switch comes out on november 11th which is also no next week (from the week ending oct. 30th)

The Pokemon themed OLED Switch came out today, which is why it will show up in the next Famitsu chart, which is for week ending Nov 6. The chart in this thread is for the week ending Oct 30.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

kenjab said:

The Pokemon themed OLED Switch came out today, which is why it will show up in the next Famitsu chart, which is for week ending Nov 6. The chart in this thread is for the week ending Oct 30.

I misread about some event held in splatoon, that's why I got it wrong. Okay, my bad.

yo33331 said:

It's obvious. Switch begins to lose steam. It's normal it is in it's 6th year. It's not only for the week and for japan. See the whole year since march or april. Switch has been constantly down. It has mere 2-3 exclusions where it received some bumps for a week or two but only that. In this point in time in it's life Switch can't receive big boost with software titles. ( I mean big, like 2019, 2020 or 2021 ones, where Switch's boost to continue through couple of weeks selling more than the norm before that ). It has been constantly down since the spring and even in japan most of the weeks this year are double digits, and when there is nothing interesting for it falls to levels such as ~40, 50 or 60k. The down ratio % will also be going up (it was 30% in some point in the year, then drop to ~20% and now is going up again and will probably finish close to 30% when everything is said and done).
Now even lower .. So low even I wasn't expecting. Of course holiday period is coming in the next weeks till end of the year and it is normal that Switch will get boost both worldwide and in japan. However that boost won't be near 2021 levels, and just like many other consoles every next year and holiday in that matter will be lower and lower.
Last year we had weekly numbers in the holiday period (november and december) most of them doing between 1 and 1.1M. This year they will probably be between 800k and 1M at best. For japan I expect weekly numbers between 100 and 150k. Of course there may be some other fluke week where it reaches maybe 200k just to check it out (since every single holiday till now there were weeks with 200k+ sales) but majority of them will be between 100k and ~ 150k. Something like that. Next year the drop will be even bigger. Both worldwide and japan.

Bold: Splatoon 3 didn't launch that long ago. You can't seriously already have forgotten that there was a big hardware boost for several weeks before and after it's launch. The current hardware number is due to stock issues. In week 15 2020 the Switch only sold 25k units a few weeks after ACNH launched. Stock issues aren't something new. Like how do you even get that idea that software can't give the Switch significant hardware boost anymore?

Bold 2: There were exactly one week in the 40k range and one week in the 30k range and both just recently when stock issues started again. Weeks in the 50 or 60k range happened in every year of the Switch's life and only 2021 didn't have any weeks below 40k.

Now in it's 6th year the Switch is obviously loosing steam but it's legs are incredibly strong nonetheless.

How many units do you think the Switch will have sold in the current week with the Pokémon OLED having just launched?

PotentHerbs said:

GT7 showing some incredible legs.

It should be around 400K retail copies sold with PS4/PS5. Digital will push it anywhere to 600K - 900K total, IMO. It will be Sony's first title, in a long time, that will hit 1M+ units sold in Japan.

It's physical sales are mostly because of bundles.

Doctor_MG said:

When Splatoon 3 themed Switch launched the console sold 180k in Japan and then 130k the week after. 

Just for the record, these numbers are when Splatoon 3 itself launched. The week the themed OLED launched it sold 113k and 98k the week after.