By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5, Xbox Series X|S, and Switch Sales Climb - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Oct 16-22

Asia point of View towards the Newer Xbox I think Gamepass is doing it Imagine if Gamepass had more Japanese games I did say Gamepass is heavy loaded with Western releases? Also Switch reaches 104,930 in 1 week in asia

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 102

This weekly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 31,087,700
  2. PS5: 24,975,620
  3. XSX|S: 17,703,165

Through the first 102 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 6.11 million units units and is 13.38 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 7.27 million units.

The Switch has sold 31.09 million in 102 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 24.98 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 17.70 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 102 weeks, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 42.1 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 33.9 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 24.0 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. Switch: 10,919,354
  2. PS5: 9,028,106
  3. XSX|S: 8,252,382

Through the first 102 weeks available in the US the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 1.89 million units and is 2.67 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.78 million units.

The Switch has sold 10.92 million in 102 weeks in the US, while the PS5 sold 9.03 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 8.25 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 102 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 38.7 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 32.0 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 29.3 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (101 weeks):

1. PS5: 8,632,581
  2. Switch: 7,864,612
  3. XSX|S: 4,758,586

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 101 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.77 million units and is 3.87 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 3.11 million units.

The PS5 has sold 8.63 million in 101 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 7.86 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 4.76 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 101 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 40.6 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 37.0 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.4 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 7,423,152
  2. PS5: 2,028,510
  3. XSX|S: 375,268

Through the first 102 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.39 million units and is 7.05 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.65 million units.

The Switch has sold 7.42 million units in 102 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 2.03 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.38 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 102 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 75.6 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 20.6 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 3.8 percent.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I got a new video over on YouTube discussing the latest VGChartz estimates, PS5 shipment figures, PlayStation VR2 details, God of War sales, Modern Warfare II setting records, and more.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Link to VGChartz article here.

PS5 Narrowly Outsold Xbox Series X|S in October in the UK, Switch Tops Lifetime Xbox One Sales

The head of GamesIndustry Christopher Dring via Twitter has revealed some details on console sales in the UK for October. 

The PlayStation 5 was the best-selling console in the UK in October with it narrowly outselling the Xbox Series X|S, which had a "big month." This would mean the Nintendo Switch came in third place in terms of hardware sales.

The Nintendo Switch did reach a new milestone with it outselling the lifetime sales of the Xbox One in the UK. Next up is the PlayStation 3.

"PS5 was the No.1 console very narrowly in the UK last month, despite another big month for Xbox Series X and S," said Dring. "With God of War and a big Call of Duty launch, it should be a good Christmas for new-gen consoles if supply continues like this."

He added, "Meanwhile, Nintendo Switch has surpassed Xbox One in terms of total sales in the UK. Next it has PS3 in its sights."

Link to VGChartz article here.

PS5 Outsells Original Xbox

Sony's latest video game console, the PlayStation 5, has outsold the lifetime sales of the original Xbox, according to VGChartz estimates

The PS5 had sold an estimated 24.98 million units worldwide through October 22, 2022, while the original Xbox sold 24.65 million units lifetime.

Up next for the PS5 is the Atari 2600 with 30 million units sold, followed by the Nintendo 64 with 32.93 million units sold and the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive with 34.06 million units sold.

Breaking down sales by region, the PS5 has sold an estimated 9.96 million units in North America, 8.63 million units in Europe, 2.03 million units in Japan, and 4.36 million units in the rest of the world. This compared to the original Xbox, which sold 15.77 million units in North America, 7.17 million units in Europe, 0.47 million units in Japan, and 1.24 million units in the rest of the world.

Breaking down PS5 Europe sales, the console has sold an estimated 2.06 million units in the UK, 1.61 million units in Germany, and 1.14 million units in France.

Sony Interactive Entertainment did announce it had shipped 25.0 million PlayStation 5 consoles as of September 30, 2022. With 25.0 million PlayStation 5 consoles shipped through the end of September 2022 that means 3.3 million units were shipped from July to September. This is the same figure as one year ago.

For reference, the PlayStation 4 had shipped 4.0 million units in the same quarter for a lifetime total of 29.4 million units shipped as of September 30, 2015. This puts the PS5 behind shipped PS4 units by 4.4 million units.

Sony was able to produce over 6.5 million PlayStation 5 consoles during the second quarter of its 2022 fiscal year, which ended September 30, 2022. That would leave at least 3.2 million PS5 consoles stockpiled by Sony to have ready for the holiday season, as well as for the launch of God of War Ragnarök on November 9.

Around the Network

Like with last week waiting for Sony's report, I'll be waiting until Nintendo's report comes out on Tuesday before posting the estimates for the final week of October. Though depending on when Nintendo posts their report I will either still be up to post the article on it right away or I will be sleeping and it will be posted after I get up in the morning. I live in New York (Eastern Standard Time) for those wondering what morning is to me.

With supply trending upwards I think we're headed for some insane holiday numbers.
Open world Pokemon should keep Switch competitive despite its age, while pent up demand for the PS5 and Series X look set to erupt.

curl-6 said:

With supply trending upwards I think we're headed for some insane holiday numbers.
Open world Pokemon should keep Switch competitive despite its age, while pent up demand for the PS5 and Series X look set to erupt.

I still have some fears about stock, but let's hope I am wrong.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown  /  YOY Charts

@trunkswd are you going to adjust switch numbers from the new report or leave them as they are ?

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown  /  YOY Charts

yo33331 said:

@trunkswd are you going to adjust switch numbers from the new report or leave them as they are ?

I will adjust it down as we are too high. I've looked at Nintendo's breakdown and we have sell-through below Nintendo's shipment figures in the Americas, Europe, and Japan. But have it too high in "Other."