By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Road to 160m+ for Nintendo Switch

come on, the ONLY game console that has ever been sold for more than 7 years was the Xbox 360, so no, if we don't get a Switch 2 before March it isn't "normal", it will be only the second time that has ever happened before in history

Around the Network
Garrus said:

come on, the ONLY game console that has ever been sold for more than 7 years was the Xbox 360, so no, if we don't get a Switch 2 before March it isn't "normal", it will be only the second time that has ever happened before in history

If they wanted to release it in March, I think they would've announced it already.

March could be the announcement, then a late 2024 release.

I think for announcement they will wait till their Fiscal year ends. So the announcement can be anything from April onwards, with end target by september if they want to launch it in the fall.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

Garrus said:

Wrong

NES: 8 years
PSP: 8 years
Gameboy:12 years

and those are just the life cycles. I haven't even gotten started with the total shelf time

Xbox One: 9 years
GBA: 9 years
PSP: 10 years
3DS: 10 years
Wii: 10 years
PS4: 10 years
WiiU: 11 years
PS3: 11 years
Xbox 360: 11 years
DS: 12 years
PS1: 12 years
PS2: 13 years
Gameboy: 14 years
Game & Watch: 14 years
SNES: 14 years
NES: 21 years.

Why are you worried if something isn't normal. I would be excited if something isn't normal, because it means something happened to it (good, or bad). Also nothing is normal. I think you meant to say "average". Because the average console life cycle is 7 years, and the average shelf life is around 11 years.

The trend (but is not always the case) is that any console that sells over 10 years is surpassing the 100M unit mark.
The Switch is something remarkable because it hasn't even reached its 8th year of selling and is at 134M sold, selling an average of 17.3M per year. No other console has been able to sell as fast as the Nintendo Switch, with exception to the DS.
PS2 had to sell 12.15M per year to reach it's position as the best selling console of all time at 158M.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

XtremeBG said:

I think for announcement they will wait till their Fiscal year ends. So the announcement can be anything from April onwards, with end target by september if they want to launch it in the fall.

Would a September launch be better than a November launch?

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Around the Network
Shtinamin_ said:

Wrong

and those are just the life cycles. I haven't even gotten started with the total shelf time

The trend (but is not always the case) is that any console that sells over 10 years is surpassing the 100M unit mark.

Corrections:

First of all PSP was replaced on it's 7th year not 8th, it launched december 2004, vita launched december 2011.

Then the other ones market life (the time they've been in production, not actual time when the last unit was in the store cuz .. we had 1 wii u sold this year, therefore it would be difficult to name every console how much time it was on shelf as that data can't be really collected.)

Xbox one: 7 years, Microsoft announce they discontinue it in 2020, so after 2020 no more units have been produced.

3DS: 9 years, discontinued officially in 2020

Wii: 7 years, discontinued by the end of 2013

PS4: more than 10 years, as outside of Japan the system is still being produced at least officially.

Wii U: - 5 years, discontinued back in 2017, I don't know why you are giving 11 years.

DS: 9 years, discontinued sometime in 2013

Also it is not a trend, since half of the consoles that are being sold for 10 years, or close to, are not reaching 100M, PS3, XB360, PSP, 3DS. Trend means something that is 9 out of 10 cases.. not the half of them ..

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

XtremeBG said:
Shtinamin_ said:

Wrong

Corrections:

First of all PSP was replaced on it's 7th year not 8th, it launched december 2004, vita launched december 2011.

Then the other ones market life (the time they've been in production, not actual time when the last unit was in the store cuz .. we had 1 wii u sold this year, therefore it would be difficult to name every console how much time it was on shelf as that data can't be really collected.)

Xbox one: 7 years, Microsoft announce they discontinue it in 2020, so after 2020 no more units have been produced.

3DS: 9 years, discontinued officially in 2020

Wii: 7 years, discontinued by the end of 2013

PS4: more than 10 years, as outside of Japan the system is still being produced at least officially.

Wii U: - 5 years, discontinued back in 2017, I don't know why you are giving 11 years.

DS: 9 years, discontinued sometime in 2013

Also it is not a trend, since half of the consoles that are being sold for 10 years, or close to, are not reaching 100M, PS3, XB360, PSP, 3DS. Trend means something that is 9 out of 10 cases.. not the half of them ..

The Wii Mini kept on selling til 2017, so the Wii had an 11 year shelf life

javi741 said:

The Wii Mini kept on selling til 2017, so the Wii had an 11 year shelf life

Wii was officially discontinued in 2013. There were some leftovers as many other consoles 1-2 years after that, which is why we have numbers till 2015 here on VGCharts. But if we don't have numbers after 2015 then it's not counting. Also XB1 sold units till 2022 however it stopped production in 2020. It's the same.

Wii U sold 1 unit this year, this does not make it's market life till 2023.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 15 December 2023

ConsoleTotal Sales (After 81 months)Month 81 Sales12-Month Sales
Nintendo DS145,822,860681,25817,119,395
Nintendo Switch132,912,9061,667,46516,650,677

Over the past 12-month launch aligned period the DS is still widening the gap and outselling the Switch.

Months 70-81 (Dec 2022 - Nov 2023) - Switch is estimated to have sold 16.65m
Months 70-81 (August 2010 - July 2011) - DS is estimated to have sold 17.12m

Now the DS is about to die pretty fast so the gap will quickly start closing. But the Switch will need stronger post-successor sales than the DS to reach 160m. Yet even now before the Switch is replaced it is selling worse than the DS in the past 12 launch aligned months when 6 of those months for the DS are after the 3DS release. 

So if Switch isn't selling more than the DS launch aligned now, while the DS has a huge disadvantage of 6-months 3ds, how is it going to sell more than the DS post-successor? Especially as the 3DS didn't get off to the best start and the Switch 2 may not have that problem.

The later release of the Switch 2 compared to the 3DS is going to greatly help the Switch in potentially reaching similar sales to the DS but I really don't see the Switch selling 12m+ after the Switch 2 launches like the DS sold 12m after the 3DS, which is probably the minimum it will need to do to reach 160m.

Currently sticking to the around 155m I said before.

Zippy6 said:

Now the DS is about to die pretty fast so the gap will quickly start closing. But the Switch will need stronger post-successor sales than the DS to reach 160m. Yet even now before the Switch is replaced it is selling worse than the DS in the past 12 launch aligned months when 6 of those months for the DS are after the 3DS release. 

So if Switch isn't selling more than the DS launch aligned now, while the DS has a huge disadvantage of 6-months 3ds, how is it going to sell more than the DS post-successor? Especially as the 3DS didn't get off to the best start and the Switch 2 may not have that problem.

The later release of the Switch 2 compared to the 3DS is going to greatly help the Switch in potentially reaching similar sales to the DS but I really don't see the Switch selling 12m+ after the Switch 2 launches like the DS sold 12m after the 3DS, which is probably the minimum it will need to do to reach 160m.

Currently sticking to the around 155m I said before.

I agree with you.

Also with Switch reaching around 135M with December I can't see it reaching more than 145M with the next year, and with successor in full swing by 2025 Switch will have hard time reaching even 155M in my opinion. Possibly falling somewhere at 150M or 152M, cuz I can't see the Switch selling more than 7-8M in the years of 2025 and beyond. Maybe only if Switch make some notable pricecut it may stretch to reach 155M.