By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Road to 160m+ for Nintendo Switch

XtremeBG said:

Is Switch 2 coming at bad time?

According to the new video of Michael Pachter the Lite model will drop to 129$ and OLED drop to 199$. Also according to him the next gen PS and Xbox are coming no earlier than 2028 for PS5, and no earlier than 2027 for Xbox.

So, no price drops for the Switch confirmed.

Also, $129 for the Lite? Percentage-wise this would be a bigger drop than the 3DS had when it went from $249 to $179, and that one was a panic reaction because the 3DS wasn't selling at the original price.

if there ever were a price drop (possibly to make storage space for the Switch successor), then at best I'd expect $169 for the lite, $249 for the OG model and $299 for the OLED

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
XtremeBG said:

Is Switch 2 coming at bad time?

According to the new video of Michael Pachter the Lite model will drop to 129$ and OLED drop to 199$. Also according to him the next gen PS and Xbox are coming no earlier than 2028 for PS5, and no earlier than 2027 for Xbox.

Also, $129 for the Lite? Percentage-wise this would be a bigger drop than the 3DS had when it went from $249 to $179, and that one was a panic reaction because the 3DS wasn't selling at the original price.

if there ever were a price drop (possibly to make storage space for the Switch successor), then at best I'd expect $169 for the lite, $249 for the OG model and $299 for the OLED

There is a reason Pachter is no longer revered in video game media and this is why.  He's amazingly inaccurate and he has no repercussions for it because his public video game retail analysis isn't a product bought by game companies. 

To the privileged, equality feels like oppression. 

Renamed said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

There is a reason Pachter is no longer revered in video game media and this is why.  He's amazingly inaccurate and he has no repercussions for it because his public video game retail analysis isn't a product bought by game companies. 

I know, hence the first sentence ;)

So with the report that Nintendo Switch 2 won't be released until after April 2025. it seems its chances of topping the PS2 increased a little bit.

Like I said in May. Nintendo won't launch the Switch 2 until holiday 2025.

Game development has gotten longer and the Switch has shown that having games ready is key to success. Nintendo is releasing many games even this year in 2024, so Nintendo will need the extra time.

Around the Network
123tbones said:

So with the report that Nintendo Switch 2 won't be released until after April 2025. it seems its chances of topping the PS2 increased a little bit.

What's this report based on? The same information we already got from Nintendo's forecast that made no mention of the successor's launch before April 2025?

If it's that, then there's no news. The people who have been in denial and expect a launch by March 2025 at the latest still won't give up.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Yeah this new report is a nothing burger.
First, as Rol says, Nintendo already stated that their forecast for the FY didn't include the successor, so it was always unlikely it was coming before April.

Secondly, it comes from Chris Dring, who has been wrong on numerous occasions before; he famously said early last year that Nintendo had no more big Switch games after TOTK, which we now know was nonsense.

curl-6 said:

Yeah this new report is a nothing burger.
First, as Rol says, Nintendo already stated that their forecast for the FY didn't include the successor, so it was always unlikely it was coming before April.

Secondly, it comes from Chris Dring, who has been wrong on numerous occasions before; he famously said early last year that Nintendo had no more big Switch games after TOTK, which we now know was nonsense.

Honestly, great lengths of backpedaling he had to go through by saying that basically whatever came after TOTK couldn't be considered like a big game ... 

Even worse when you think he prolly had even less of an idea to what was coming this year.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Yesterday I had some fun with ChatGPT. I know it is what it is but I gave it all known facts about the situation and ChatGPT also thinks that it's very likely that the Switch will top the PS2 (with the usual caveats like if Nintendo is supporting it (long) enough and doing the right marketing etc. but it's interesting that ChatGPT also thinks that price cuts and/or bundles would be recommendable).

Fight-the-Streets said:

Yesterday I had some fun with ChatGPT. I know it is what it is but I gave it all known facts about the situation and ChatGPT also thinks that it's very likely that the Switch will top the PS2 (with the usual caveats like if Nintendo is supporting it (long) enough and doing the right marketing etc. but it's interesting that ChatGPT also thinks that price cuts and/or bundles would be recommendable).

I asked it about the announcement of the Switch 2 and here is what it said:

Current Speculation

• Timeline: As of 2024, many industry analysts and insiders speculate that a successor to the Switch could be announced in late 2024 or 2025, with a possible release in late 2025 or 2026. This timing aligns with the typical lifecycle of a console and Nintendo's historical practices.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games