By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who did it better: Rare vs Blizzard

Tagged games:

Who did it better in their prime?

Rare LTD 30 45.45%

Blizzard ENT 36 54.55%

Total:66

Rare. Hands down Rare for me.

Dk64, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Star Fox Adventures, Goldeneye 007, Donkey Kong Country 1-3 are some of my favorite gaming memories as a kid.

Warcraft 2 was awesome, but that series tanked at 3. WoW was never the best mmo in any era, StarCraft got a new game every 1000 years, Diablo 2 was popular but 3 disliked by many (I liked it more than 2). Overwatch was fun but just single player (lazy). Hearthstone was just a clone game.

Plus Rare had other games that people adored I never got a chance to play.

Around the Network

Blizzard for sure. Rare used to be a great Dev., But Blizzard was like "the best" for a time. I mean, they created diablo II, world of warcraft, starcraft, overwatch!! Rare can't be compared to Blizzard.

PC: Blizzard
Consoles: Rare

Azzanation said:

Lets get started with the lists wars between these two historic giants. The game series mentioned below are not just ordinary releases, they were at the time, game changes in terms of innovating and technology used. 

Platformer -  Donkey Kong Country, Banjo Kazooie, Conker BFD

Beat'em Up - Battlestoads

FPS - Goldeneye, Perfect Dark

Fighter - Killer Instinct

Kart Racer - Diddy Kong's Racing

GaS - Sea of thieves

---

RTS - Warcraft, Starcraft

MMO - World of Warcraft

FPS - Overwatch

Card Game - Hearthstone

ARP - Diablo

Side Scroller - Blackthorne

Racer - Rock n' Roll Racing

Both companies with very high quality games in the 1990s.

You could buy them without any reviews and wouldn't be disappointed.

A third one (and my favorite) in that era was LucasArts:

Adventures: Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Loom, Monkey Island series, Indiana Jones 3 + 4, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, The Dig, Grim Fandango

First/Third Person Shooters: Dark Forces, Outlaws, Jedi Knight series

Space Action: X-Wing + TIE Fighter series, Rebel Assault 1 + 2, Shadows of the Empire

Strategy: Afterlife

Dulfite said:

Rare. Hands down Rare for me.

Dk64, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Star Fox Adventures, Goldeneye 007, Donkey Kong Country 1-3 are some of my favorite gaming memories as a kid.

Warcraft 2 was awesome, but that series tanked at 3. WoW was never the best mmo in any era, StarCraft got a new game every 1000 years, Diablo 2 was popular but 3 disliked by many (I liked it more than 2). Overwatch was fun but just single player (lazy). Hearthstone was just a clone game.

Plus Rare had other games that people adored I never got a chance to play.

I understand Blizzard games might not be for you, however its undeniable that Blizzard games defined genres. Warcraft 3 is considered one of the greatest RTS games ever made, World of Warcraft is considered one of the greatest MMOs of all time, even if you didn't enjoy it, WoW is in the Video games Hall of Fame, and the Diablo and Starcraft series are legendary in their own rights. Rare are also amazing, hence the comparison.

Conina said:

Both companies with very high quality games in the 1990s.

You could buy them without any reviews and wouldn't be disappointed.

A third one (and my favorite) in that era was LucasArts:

Adventures: Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Loom, Monkey Island series, Indiana Jones 3 + 4, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, The Dig, Grim Fandango

First/Third Person Shooters: Dark Forces, Outlaws, Jedi Knight series

Space Action: X-Wing + TIE Fighter series, Rebel Assault 1 + 2, Shadows of the Empire

Strategy: Afterlife

LucusArts were amazing aswell, they did alot and i feel they have become a forgotten company. I loved games liek X-Wing Alliance, The Dig and Maniac Mansion just to name afew.

Another company i want to add to this list is Valve. Valve might stick to the FPS genre but each entry defined. Counter Strike did COD before COD. Team Fortress did what OverWatch did before OverWatch, L4D was revolutionary with its zombie horde 4 player co-op system, Portal added a Portal system never before seen, Half Life did things never before seen in FPS games, Half Life 2 did physics never before seen, Half Life: Alyx redefined the VR gaming and set the ground works on VR AAA games etc.  

Last edited by Azzanation - on 23 January 2022

Around the Network

Not even close for me. Rare a very long shot. Banjo, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Gemini, Blast Corps, etc.

I am not into platformers, and while Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were great achievements for FPS on console, I played FPS on PC at the time, and compared to them the console FPS were still lacking. So Rare did not a whole lot for me.

Blizzard on the other hand gave me Diablo, Starcraft and Hearthstone, I really like these games. So Blizzard wins this clearly.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Kristof81 said:

My thoughts exactly.

It's a strange comparison in the first place since they (mostly) make completely different types of games.  I can see how Blizzard would be credited with its influence on the industry and its games are certainly quality, but I'm a console gamer, not a PC gamer, and I personally don't care about any of their titles. 

Rare, on the other hand, has made some of my favorite games of all time.  The studio is definitely nothing like it once was (not even remotely close) but its legacy is legendary.  The N64 wouldn't have been half the system it was without Rare's titles.  Honestly, Rock 'n Roll racing is probably my favorite Blizzard game from OP's list... and I like RC Pro Am better.

Rare for me.

Blizzard easily.

I grew up with Golden eye 007, but that was probably the only fun game I ever played from Rare, and the only one I'd like to see return (but it wouldn't be from them anyway).

The rest I grew up with were the Blizzard titles, from Warcraft to Starcraft, Diablo and still to this day, WoW. The vast majority of Blizzard IP's were ones I loved playing or grew up with.

Just sucks that both companies aren't in the same spot they used to be in, back in the 90's.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

archbrix said:
Kristof81 said:

My thoughts exactly.

It's a strange comparison in the first place since they (mostly) make completely different types of games.  I can see how Blizzard would be credited with its influence on the industry and its games are certainly quality, but I'm a console gamer, not a PC gamer, and I personally don't care about any of their titles. 

Rare, on the other hand, has made some of my favorite games of all time.  The studio is definitely nothing like it once was (not even remotely close) but its legacy is legendary.  The N64 wouldn't have been half the system it was without Rare's titles.  Honestly, Rock 'n Roll racing is probably my favorite Blizzard game from OP's list... and I like RC Pro Am better.

Rare for me.

The comparison isn't about direct game vs game, but a comparison on each company that took multiple genres head on in their primes and succeeded with flying colors. Rare for consoles and Blizzard for PC mostly.

CaptainExplosion said:

Rare, easily. Still, I'd like to see Rare and Blizzard combine their efforts under Microsoft, but I don't know for what. Maybe they can do a new take on Lost Vikings.

Maybe a Rare vs Blizzard Allstars game.