Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who did it better: Rare vs Blizzard

Tagged games:

Who did it better in their prime?

Rare LTD 30 45.45%

Blizzard ENT 36 54.55%

Total:66
Mnementh said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Easily Rare. They dominated 5th gen FPS games.

IMO Blizzard have yet to even make a good game in any genre, let alone a great one.

Nope, Rare never dominated FPS.

1997 (Goldeneye release year) had Quake II, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Hexen II, Shadow Warrior - all superior games in regards to used gameplay mechanics. You may also note that this list includes a lot of II, so more importantly all these mechanics were already developed before. Even Shadow Warrior is using the tech from Duke Nukem 3D.

Perfect Dark came 2000, in the same year on PC the FPS made massive progress, while Perfect Dark basically is still gameplay wise a Quake like game. In 2000 though came games like Deus Ex and Counterstrike, which moved FPS in new territories. Genre-defining Half-Life already released in 1998.

Don't get me wrong, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are good games and Rare made good work. And certainly it was new to bring FPS to console. But if we look at the FPS genre as a whole, not only at the console side of things, then these games are good games, but not outstanding.

Blizzard basically defined major templates for two genres with Warcraft/starcraft in RTS and with Diablo in action RPGs. Games today still work off the design choices made with Diablo and Starcraft.

I disagree with you on the FPS front. Rare defined FPS for consoles, maybe not on the PC but what Rare did for games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were the most innovative. It was the first time enemy AI was implemented in such a way that even FPS of today's standards don't match what those games did. In Goldeneye you can shoot at limps of an enemy, and they all died in different ways, and they were clever. PD added in shooting out all light sources, turning a stage in complete darkness and only further improved the AI, no game came close to Perfect Dark's AI system in its day. Goldeneye went on to sell 7m+ for the N64 and PD sits on a staggering 97 Metacritic, none of the FPS games you mentioned reviewed as well as PD, tho Half Life sits on a 96. For console shooters, Rare were the best at it and even put some PC shooters to shame. This was all before Halo to.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Conina said:

There have always been lots of colorful games and less colorful games on PC... there was always the choice.

PC didn't need Blizzard to bring more colors to it.

The color argument is ridiculous, I agree. What isn't is that Blizzard defined genres, while Rare did not.

Diablo was basically the first of it's kind. And with Diablo II already refined it so far that it is the template until today. Warcraft/Starcraft were preceded by Dune II and Command&Conquer, but Blizzard took the formula to a new refinement level, that became the template for the genre. So yes, I understand the comparison that Blizzard is more comparable to Nintendo. Mario wasn't the first platformer, but it refined the concept so that it became the template.

Rare did good games, but I don't see anything genre defining. As I said before, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were only insofar outstanding, as they brought FPS to console. But for the FPS genre overall they did nothing really new. Same with other games by them. I see good games, but not genre-defining templates.

So yes, Blizzard is on another level compared to Rare.

The color argument, is really aesthetic, the color is more provocation. Blizzard blend the Japanese aesthetic with American. The Pc realm it´s not dominated by Oriental aesthetics. But by English and American aesthetic, medieval thematics have long influence in text games and LotR. Look overwatch and another grey gritter shooter, on example. Look Comand and Conquers, Compány of Heroes, also Warhammer 20k is more gritter than Warcraft 3 and Stracraft. 

Blizzard is produced in Japanese videogames and absorves this aesthetic and blend with theirs. And focus in make genre kings, likewise Nintendo and Sega.

Blizzard, no contest. They defined the MMO genre which was an absolutely took the world by storm and was uncontested as the top MMO for well over a decade - with millions of gamers playing daily. Also are monsters in the Hack n slash and RTS genre. Even in FPS with current games like Overwatch. They're very consistant and mostly produce top content.

Rare have some big hits (DK, Goldeneye) and play a huge role and influence in the 4th and 5th gen and a lot of gems.. they also have a lot of misses. And games though popular doesn't quite reach the heights (in popularity) to Blizzard games.

Noticing some real hardcore Rare fans on here, but are easily putting Blizzard down, simply because they haven't touched them in years (likely because PC franchises for the most part).

Blizz has had one of the most popular MMO's on the planet for years, as well as one of the most popular Iso ARPG's, which is why some refer to Iso ARPG's as "Diablo clones".

Last I checked Rare hasn't produced an MMO that's generated both a lot of money and users amassed in the past 17 years. Rare had Donkey Kong, but hasn't been able to touch the IP since it's inception, let alone Goldeneye. The last Banjo game was over a decade ago as well. The only modern success they have is with SoT, and that's mostly down to being an online MP PVE/PVP game, not what they originally used to make.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

Noticing some real hardcore Rare fans on here, but are easily putting Blizzard down, simply because they haven't touched them in years (likely because PC franchises for the most part).

Blizz has had one of the most popular MMO's on the planet for years, as well as one of the most popular Iso ARPG's, which is why some refer to Iso ARPG's as "Diablo clones".

Last I checked Rare hasn't produced an MMO that's generated both a lot of money and users amassed in the past 17 years. Rare had Donkey Kong, but hasn't been able to touch the IP since it's inception, let alone Goldeneye. The last Banjo game was over a decade ago as well. The only modern success they have is with SoT, and that's mostly down to being an online MP PVE/PVP game, not what they originally used to make.

Blizzard are simply amazing, one of my all time greats and favourites. However what Blizzard did with PC, Rare did with Consoles. When Rare created DKC, it was unmatched by any platformer of its era, its also considered one of the best trilogies in gaming history. When Banjo Kazooie released, it was considered one of the best 3D platformers of its era, when Goldeneye and Perfect Dark hit the scenes, nothing on consoles came close to them, even some of the PC FPS games were put in place to these console counter parts. Rare drove the industry forward so did Blizzard. Rare would make more games which had less replayability where as Blizzard would make less games but had immense replayaiblity. Rare in their Prime were considered one of the all time greats, just like Blizzard. Anything those companies dished up would be considered gold.

Keep in mind, not many companies can do a Ninja Turtle Rip off and succeed, something Rare did with Battletoads, not an easy feat as many companies tried in the gaming and movie business. Rare can tip their hat and say, we did a TMNT rip off and it worked out well.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Easily Rare. They dominated 5th gen FPS games.

IMO Blizzard have yet to even make a good game in any genre, let alone a great one.

1997 (Goldeneye release year) had Quake II, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Hexen II, Shadow Warrior - all superior games in regards to used gameplay mechanics. You may also note that this list includes a lot of II, so more importantly all these mechanics were already developed before. Even Shadow Warrior is using the tech from Duke Nukem 3D.

Perfect Dark came 2000, in the same year on PC the FPS made massive progress, while Perfect Dark basically is still gameplay wise a Quake like game. In 2000 though came games like Deus Ex and Counterstrike, which moved FPS in new territories. Genre-defining Half-Life already released in 1998.

Don't get me wrong, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are good games and Rare made good work. And certainly it was new to bring FPS to console. But if we look at the FPS genre as a whole, not only at the console side of things, then these games are good games, but not outstanding.

Blizzard basically defined major templates for two genres with Warcraft/starcraft in RTS and with Diablo in action RPGs. Games today still work off the design choices made with Diablo and Starcraft.

I don´t like Blizzard now equal like before; Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 were the best games before WOW. Overwatch and Hearthstone were good, but now blizzard was focused more in create well-addicted mechanics than on a good and fun game. 

Azzanation said:
Mnementh said:

I disagree with you on the FPS front. Rare defined FPS for consoles, maybe not on the PC but what Rare did for games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were the most innovative. It was the first time enemy AI was implemented in such a way that even FPS of today's standards don't match what those games did. In Goldeneye you can shoot at limps of an enemy, and they all died in different ways, and they were clever. PD added in shooting out all light sources, turning a stage in complete darkness and only further improved the AI, no game came close to Perfect Dark's AI system in its day. Goldeneye went on to sell 7m+ for the N64 and PD sits on a staggering 97 Metacritic, none of the FPS games you mentioned reviewed as well as PD, tho Half Life sits on a 96. For console shooters, Rare were the best at it and even put some PC shooters to shame. This was all before Halo to.

Yeah, as I said for console that might've been a big step. And I don't deny these two games are good. But games like Starcraft and Diablo are reference for games that come out even today. That can't be said about these shooters.

I don't think Meta is a good comparison for older games, especially PC. Some of the PC games I mentioned don't even have a single review on Metacritic.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

hinch said:

Blizzard, no contest. They defined the MMO genre which was an absolutely took the world by storm and was uncontested as the top MMO for well over a decade - with millions of gamers playing daily. Also are monsters in the Hack n slash and RTS genre. Even in FPS with current games like Overwatch. They're very consistant and mostly produce top content.

Rare have some big hits (DK, Goldeneye) and play a huge role and influence in the 4th and 5th gen and a lot of gems.. they also have a lot of misses. And games though popular doesn't quite reach the heights (in popularity) to Blizzard games.

I didn't even thought about WoW, but you are right, that is another genre-molding game, like Warcraft/Starcraft and Diablo.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Rare didn't really dominated any genre so I guess it would default to Blizzard.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I have to go with Blizzard.  They might not of been the first to do anything as all there poplar games they took a formula that was out there and refined it for mass appeal.  That don't change the fact when it comes to RTS StarCraft, ARPG Diablo 2 and MMORPG World of Warcraft no one have defined a type of game more then Blizzard have.  I look at it this way, I might not like it my self as when I tried it I quit after a week but World of Warcraft have been the most played MMORPG since 2004 and it not even been close till possibly in 2021 FF14 might of over took then for part of the year.  ARPG are still refer to as diablo clones to this day and Stargate is still a very popular esport.  This is decades later for all these games.

Mnementh said:

Diablo was basically the first of it's kind. And with Diablo II already refined it so far that it is the template until today. Warcraft/Starcraft were preceded by Dune II and Command&Conquer, but Blizzard took the formula to a new refinement level, that became the template for the genre. So yes, I understand the comparison that Blizzard is more comparable to Nintendo. Mario wasn't the first platformer, but it refined the concept so that it became the template.

I see ALOT of similarities between Diablo and Ultima 8.  If I remember correctly it was a long time ago, quite a few of the original reviews for Diablo made a case that it was like a sequel to Ultima 8.