By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who did it better: Rare vs Blizzard

Tagged games:

Who did it better in their prime?

Rare LTD 30 45.45%

Blizzard ENT 36 54.55%

Total:66
Cyran said:

I have to go with Blizzard.  They might not of been the first to do anything as all there poplar games they took a formula that was out there and refined it for mass appeal.  That don't change the fact when it comes to RTS StarCraft, ARPG Diablo 2 and MMORPG World of Warcraft no one have defined a type of game more then Blizzard have.  I look at it this way, I might not like it my self as when I tried it I quit after a week but World of Warcraft have been the most played MMORPG since 2004 and it not even been close till possibly in 2021 FF14 might of over took then for part of the year.  ARPG are still refer to as diablo clones to this day and Stargate is still a very popular esport.  This is decades later for all these games.

Mnementh said:

Diablo was basically the first of it's kind. And with Diablo II already refined it so far that it is the template until today. Warcraft/Starcraft were preceded by Dune II and Command&Conquer, but Blizzard took the formula to a new refinement level, that became the template for the genre. So yes, I understand the comparison that Blizzard is more comparable to Nintendo. Mario wasn't the first platformer, but it refined the concept so that it became the template.

I see ALOT of similarities between Diablo and Ultima 8.  If I remember correctly it was a long time ago, quite a few of the original reviews for Diablo made a case that it was like a sequel to Ultima 8.

The history, if I remember, Zelda is inspired in Ultima, The Origin System looking for Zelda try to create a more accessible game with mouse point click  launch Bad Blood. And Ultima VIII launch this time precision jump with mouse click, resemble Super Mario Bros. Then you have, in 97, Diablo inspired in Ultima VIII

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Azzanation said:

I disagree with you on the FPS front. Rare defined FPS for consoles, maybe not on the PC but what Rare did for games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were the most innovative. It was the first time enemy AI was implemented in such a way that even FPS of today's standards don't match what those games did. In Goldeneye you can shoot at limps of an enemy, and they all died in different ways, and they were clever. PD added in shooting out all light sources, turning a stage in complete darkness and only further improved the AI, no game came close to Perfect Dark's AI system in its day. Goldeneye went on to sell 7m+ for the N64 and PD sits on a staggering 97 Metacritic, none of the FPS games you mentioned reviewed as well as PD, tho Half Life sits on a 96. For console shooters, Rare were the best at it and even put some PC shooters to shame. This was all before Halo to.

Yeah, as I said for console that might've been a big step. And I don't deny these two games are good. But games like Starcraft and Diablo are reference for games that come out even today. That can't be said about these shooters.

I don't think Meta is a good comparison for older games, especially PC. Some of the PC games I mentioned don't even have a single review on Metacritic.

Both GoldenEye and Perfect Dark showed that fps (especially mulitplayer) could work and thrive on consoles.  Games like Halo and Time Splitters that came out the following generation took the formula and expanded it.  Rare at its peak was very important to consoles and kept Nintendo alive during the N64 generation.  Blizzard is incredibly important to the pc market at its peak.  I don't consider Blizzards peak to really coexist with consoles.  Yes we got games like Starcraft 64 and Diablo games on the PS4/Xbox One but really their major contributions during their peak is pc.  Any gamer that had a Nintendo system in the 90's is going to say Rare, and gamer that was a pc gamer is going to pick Blizzard.  Now considering Blizzard made such a huge addicting game in WOW that lead to people around the world getting so addicted to it that they would lose jobs, their wifes/husbands maybe its hard not to say Blizzard, but if someone never played those games and love Rare they are going to pick Rare.

Cyran said:

I have to go with Blizzard.  They might not of been the first to do anything as all there poplar games they took a formula that was out there and refined it for mass appeal.  That don't change the fact when it comes to RTS StarCraft, ARPG Diablo 2 and MMORPG World of Warcraft no one have defined a type of game more then Blizzard have.  I look at it this way, I might not like it my self as when I tried it I quit after a week but World of Warcraft have been the most played MMORPG since 2004 and it not even been close till possibly in 2021 FF14 might of over took then for part of the year.  ARPG are still refer to as diablo clones to this day and Stargate is still a very popular esport.  This is decades later for all these games.

Mnementh said:

Diablo was basically the first of it's kind. And with Diablo II already refined it so far that it is the template until today. Warcraft/Starcraft were preceded by Dune II and Command&Conquer, but Blizzard took the formula to a new refinement level, that became the template for the genre. So yes, I understand the comparison that Blizzard is more comparable to Nintendo. Mario wasn't the first platformer, but it refined the concept so that it became the template.

I see ALOT of similarities between Diablo and Ultima 8.  If I remember correctly it was a long time ago, quite a few of the original reviews for Diablo made a case that it was like a sequel to Ultima 8.

I wasn't aware of Ultima 8, so probably that preceded Diablo. All I know is that Diablo started development really as a classic roguelike, meaning it was turn-based, the world only moved once the player made a move. Changing that to real-time changed the whole feel of the game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

DonFerrari said:

Rare didn't really dominated any genre so I guess it would default to Blizzard.

It does help if you actually played the games first Don.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 24 January 2022

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

Weak attempt at belittling and dismissing his stance. 

How is playing the games helping anyone to know the actual data about the games? 

It does not.

Sales data and critical reception are what indicate if they dominated or not. And sure enough, just with Donkey Kong Country’s series on the SNES, they sold similarly to Nintendo’s domestic studios’s own games and were received similarly during the same era.

With that in mind, yes, his assertion is wrong. But having played the games or not has absolutely no bearing in this. 

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

I did play at least Battletoads, the 3 Donkey Kong, 2 Banjo Kazooies and Golden Eye. Perhaps even more.

But there were better beat them up, platforms and FPS imho.

Haven`t said Rare wasn`t great (because they were), but they didn`t dominate any genre at all. They were great and made great games in different genres, but weren`t the dominating power in any.

@Hynad. When you put that they had similar reception to Nintendo internal studios, sure that show they were in the same ballpark. But to dominate something you need to be above the others, and neither sales nor critical reception put them above the others (although there were those rumors of Rare being run to the ground due to jealously from Shigeru).

EDIT - If the question was which were my favorite developer at their prime then Rare would win by a landslide (although I really loved Warcraft 2 at the time), but when talking about genre domination, imho Rare didn`t dominate.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 25 January 2022

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Heh, I look and see this vote is close, but then remember that most of this forum hasn't played the best old school PC games. It's Blizzard. It's not even close. This is not to take away from Rare who used to make great games. But Blizzard was frikken amazing. I can't tell if they were touched by God or made a deal with the devil (i.e. Diablo). For a while there it really seemed like they could do no wrong though.

Mnementh said:
Cyran said:

I wasn't aware of Ultima 8, so probably that preceded Diablo. All I know is that Diablo started development really as a classic roguelike, meaning it was turn-based, the world only moved once the player made a move. Changing that to real-time changed the whole feel of the game.

Ultima series inspired too many games, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Legend of Zelda, Skyrim, Diablo, WoW, etc. 

Agente42 said:
Mnementh said:

Ultima series inspired too many games, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Legend of Zelda, Skyrim, Diablo, WoW, etc. 

Please don't say Skyrim in a sentence like this, say Elder Scrolls instead. Skyrim is a lesser entry in the Elder Scrolls series where the peak was Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. 

Spindel said:
Agente42 said:

Please don't say Skyrim in a sentence like this, say Elder Scrolls instead. Skyrim is a lesser entry in the Elder Scrolls series where the peak was Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. 

yeah, elders scrolls, but Skyrim is one of the best-selling entry