Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who did it better: Rare vs Blizzard

Tagged games:

Who did it better in their prime?

Rare LTD 30 45.45%

Blizzard ENT 36 54.55%

Total:66
Agente42 said:
Mnementh said:

I wasn't aware of Ultima 8, so probably that preceded Diablo. All I know is that Diablo started development really as a classic roguelike, meaning it was turn-based, the world only moved once the player made a move. Changing that to real-time changed the whole feel of the game.

Ultima series inspired too many games, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Legend of Zelda, Skyrim, Diablo, WoW, etc. 

I intend to play a few Ultima games, if time allows, because I am aware that I am missing some gaming history here.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Azzanation said:

It does help if you actually played the games first Don.

Weak attempt at belittling and dismissing his stance. 

How is playing the games helping anyone to know the actual data about the games? 

It does not.

Sales data and critical reception are what indicate if they dominated or not. And sure enough, just with Donkey Kong Country’s series on the SNES, they sold similarly to Nintendo’s domestic studios’s own games and were received similarly during the same era.

With that in mind, yes, his assertion is wrong. But having played the games or not has absolutely no bearing in this. 

You cannot validate your own opinion if you never experienced it. Otherwise, its not your opinion, its someone else's. In this case, Don inserting himself with a negative take on something with no detailed reasons or examples to his view.

DonFerrari said:
Azzanation said:

I did play at least Battletoads, the 3 Donkey Kong, 2 Banjo Kazooies and Golden Eye. Perhaps even more.

But there were better beat them up, platforms and FPS imho.

Haven`t said Rare wasn`t great (because they were), but they didn`t dominate any genre at all. They were great and made great games in different genres, but weren`t the dominating power in any.

@Hynad. When you put that they had similar reception to Nintendo internal studios, sure that show they were in the same ballpark. But to dominate something you need to be above the others, and neither sales nor critical reception put them above the others (although there were those rumors of Rare being run to the ground due to jealously from Shigeru).

EDIT - If the question was which were my favorite developer at their prime then Rare would win by a landslide (although I really loved Warcraft 2 at the time), but when talking about genre domination, imho Rare didn`t dominate.

There is a lot more to it than just dominating genres. What Rare were able to achieve was simply amazing. They could go in almost any genre and dish up an A+ product that would compete with the very best in those genres. Just like how Blizzard does it on the PC. Rare made DKC which matched the very best games of that genre and for that era. Rare made Killer Instinct which competed with the very best like Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat at the time. Rare made Goldeneye and Perfect Dark which matched the very best FPS games of the era, and they did it with 1 analog stick and limited hardware. They made the best 3D platformers in Banjo Kazooie, they made a Kart game considered just as good as Mario Kart 64. 

Not only did Rare create some of the best games of all time, they also innovated the industry and moved it forward. DKC offered visuals never before seen on a console. Killer Instinct offered fast moving combos never before seen in fighting games. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark offered enemy AI and effects that were never before seen in FPS games. They might not have the replayability of Blizzard games but Rare games pushed the industry forward just as much as they were top tier games. No matter the genre, Rare would enter it, and succeed in it. Not many companies can claim that.

Azzanation said:
Hynad said:

How is playing the games helping anyone to know the actual data about the games? 

It does not.

Sales data and critical reception are what indicate if they dominated or not. And sure enough, just with Donkey Kong Country’s series on the SNES, they sold similarly to Nintendo’s domestic studios’s own games and were received similarly during the same era.

With that in mind, yes, his assertion is wrong. But having played the games or not has absolutely no bearing in this. 

You cannot validate your own opinion if you never experienced it. Otherwise, its not your opinion, its someone else's. In this case, Don inserting himself with a negative take on something with no detailed reasons or examples to his view.

DonFerrari said:

I did play at least Battletoads, the 3 Donkey Kong, 2 Banjo Kazooies and Golden Eye. Perhaps even more.

But there were better beat them up, platforms and FPS imho.

Haven`t said Rare wasn`t great (because they were), but they didn`t dominate any genre at all. They were great and made great games in different genres, but weren`t the dominating power in any.

@Hynad. When you put that they had similar reception to Nintendo internal studios, sure that show they were in the same ballpark. But to dominate something you need to be above the others, and neither sales nor critical reception put them above the others (although there were those rumors of Rare being run to the ground due to jealously from Shigeru).

EDIT - If the question was which were my favorite developer at their prime then Rare would win by a landslide (although I really loved Warcraft 2 at the time), but when talking about genre domination, imho Rare didn`t dominate.

There is a lot more to it than just dominating genres. What Rare were able to achieve was simply amazing. They could go in almost any genre and dish up an A+ product that would compete with the very best in those genres. Just like how Blizzard does it on the PC. Rare made DKC which matched the very best games of that genre and for that era. Rare made Killer Instinct which competed with the very best like Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat at the time. Rare made Goldeneye and Perfect Dark which matched the very best FPS games of the era, and they did it with 1 analog stick and limited hardware. They made the best 3D platformers in Banjo Kazooie, they made a Kart game considered just as good as Mario Kart 64. 

Not only did Rare create some of the best games of all time, they also innovated the industry and moved it forward. DKC offered visuals never before seen on a console. Killer Instinct offered fast moving combos never before seen in fighting games. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark offered enemy AI and effects that were never before seen in FPS games. They might not have the replayability of Blizzard games but Rare games pushed the industry forward just as much as they were top tier games. No matter the genre, Rare would enter it, and succeed in it. Not many companies can claim that.

Your very first paragraph talks about dominating a genre.

And on Hynad point, he is very much correct, to discuss domination of a genre you look at the data itself (sales, reception, acclaim, impact, historical relevance and permanence, etc). If you were asking personal preference then it would be something that depends on personal preference. And even like that you could say you prefer X to Y because you like X and never tried Y and it would be valid.

Still you were wrong on the assumption you made of me not having played their games (I played much more from Rare than Blizzard), I just prefer to use objective evidence instead of opinion to evaluate things.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Azzanation said:

Sip

DonFerrari said:

Sip

Your very first paragraph talks about dominating a genre.

And on Hynad point, he is very much correct, to discuss domination of a genre you look at the data itself (sales, reception, acclaim, impact, historical relevance and permanence, etc). If you were asking personal preference then it would be something that depends on personal preference. And even like that you could say you prefer X to Y because you like X and never tried Y and it would be valid.

Still you were wrong on the assumption you made of me not having played their games (I played much more from Rare than Blizzard), I just prefer to use objective evidence instead of opinion to evaluate things.

I gave you my evidence in my previous response as to why Rare dominated, where is your evidence to prove your point? 

Also this article is an opinion piece aswell, thats why their is a voting system. 

Rare doesn't tend to do the same games over again. They move on alot. Their domination is achieved differently, while Blizzard will conquer genres and tend to stay in them longer, Rare will make a game that defys everything at the time for that genre and than move to another.

The only reason Rare is even close in the polls is because this community hates PC games, or never played them. If you played Starcraft, Warcraft 2 or 3, and Diablo 2 in their prime, you'd have no doubt that Blizzard was the superior developer. Although Rare was amazing as well of course.

But thinking about these developers makes me so sad, both were at the absolute top of their game, and both are nothing more than disappointing puddle of nothingness now. Blizzard especially, such a horrible company nowadays. Overwatch was their last good game, and I'm convinced nothing they will ever release will be any good. Best to forget about them completely. So sad.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:

The only reason Rare is even close in the polls is because this community hates PC games, or never played them. If you played Starcraft, Warcraft 2 or 3, and Diablo 2 in their prime, you'd have no doubt that Blizzard was the superior developer. Although Rare was amazing as well of course.

But thinking about these developers makes me so sad, both were at the absolute top of their game, and both are nothing more than disappointing puddle of nothingness now. Blizzard especially, such a horrible company nowadays. Overwatch was their last good game, and I'm convinced nothing they will ever release will be any good. Best to forget about them completely. So sad.

Agreed, the golden days of Blizzard and Rare are gone. 

Objectively, Blizzard has had a deeper impact on the industry. For me, personally, I played more Rare games. I'd like Wizards and Warriors to come to NSO. Both companies are definitely has-beens, however.

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 27 January 2022

Hynad said:
Azzanation said:

It does not.

You didn't need to be a rocket scientist to see that the  vote would split along  PC/Console gaming lines, but Azz criticising Don now that was a shock? .

Now there were posts from the Rare side like for example Leynos who made his judgement after playing just part of one Blizzard game D3, those choices are  just like Don's assessment valid since at the end of the day no matter how much we pride ourselves on objective reasoning, these types of who did it better questions are subjective .

It doesn't help when the who did it better question is also using developers who did the bulk of their work on different platforms and then there's people reacting like these development studios are single entities that live in some kind of unchanging stasis, now to the important part my subjective opinion, I having played  the greater part of both parties catalogues and I voted for Blizzard over Rare and one of the reasons why was I felt that a large part of what made Rare what it was at that time came from its association with Nintendo, having said this I would like to point out that the voting tally in my mind was way closer than I expected and that was all to do with Diddy Kong Racing being my everybody's all time favourite greatest racer and if it was the only game Rare ever made they would still be great almost up there with my ability to hyperbolise.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 27 January 2022

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Blizzard by a lot. To some extent they've still got it.

And with Rare Sea of Thieves seems solid though I haven't played it. And Everwild could be cool.

snyps said:

Don’t forget Wizards and Warriors (Rare). For an NES title, it was an amazingly accessible action platformer. Level design was original and still is quite unique. One of the few games I could beat all on my own as a child.

Killer Instinct is top tier for me in terms of games that shattered my expectations of what I thought I liked. Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Virtual Fighter, and Street Fighter II seemed unbeatable.

I’ll say that there are two kinds of gamers, those who love playing lots of different titles, and those who play mainly one title and get really competitive in it. Rare is king of the former and Blizzard is king of the latter.

I fell in with Rare.

I had wizards and warriors and while accessible it was also very easy to get lost mid to end game.   It was a god damn maze which of course I never finished.