By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who did it better: Rare vs Blizzard

Tagged games:

Who did it better in their prime?

Rare LTD 30 45.45%

Blizzard ENT 36 54.55%

Total:66

For me personally its Rare as I played almost all of their SNES and N64 games, while I believe Diablo 3 is the only Blizzard game I have played and I played that a handful of years ago on the PS4. I was pretty young when Donkey Kong Country came out so it was a bit difficult for me to play but by the time the N64 games started coming out I was pretty good at gaming. Hundreds if not thousands of hours of Golden Eye cements that game very highly for me. I have no doubt for many the answer will be Blizzard, I have never played WOW but had plenty of friends that lost months and years of their lives playing that game non stop.  Actual conversations back than...(me) Want to hit up the bar this weekend?, (friend) naw I'm good going to play WOW for the next 72 hours.

Around the Network

Blizzard on prime defied Nintendo on prime. Besides Nintendo's more constant and more varied genre kings than Blizzard, is a good competition. 

Blizzard and Nintendo create genre kings. Rare was a brilliant producer, it´s different.

Rare on prime was the best producer technically. It´s a Naughty Dog on steroids.

Blizzard producers in Japanese videogame brings a new way to view computer games, more colors( look at the PC games before the blizzard, darker and less colorful), sound design. Blizzard mixes the Japanese with the American way and brings the genre kings a la Nintendo in Pc space. 

Genre kings: Blizzard, Nintendo, Sega

Exceptional craftsmanship: Rare, Naughty Dog, Rockstar

Last edited by Agente42 - on 23 January 2022

padib said:

@Azzanation It's weird because the premise of your thread is that you already assume that they are on a similar level and are asking who was better on that level.

But it's weird because from the getgo they are on two very different levels on almost everything and also made completely different games, which contradicts your OP (you mention they both made games of all genres which is generally untrue Blizzard was focused on top-down strategy for decades).

Simply put, Blizzard was legendary, Rare was great. Mostly because Blizzard released one game every 2 years, while Rare was sharing its efforts on many games.

Two levels, both very good, but uncomparable.

Also, if the Microsoft acquisition is leading to these kinds of debates, it should be important for Xbox fans to understand that people were big fans of these games prior to these acquisitions and don't particularly have an interest in throwing them in the same pot for comparison. For example, Blizzard was off consoles for years with no loyalty to any platform, and their ports were always multi-plat and their focus almost solely on PC games. Rare was a Nintendo exclusive.

Now that they are under the same house, is it meaningful to compare their legacy when they were under different roofs? Let's leave the past as it was and focus on the future of Rare and Blizzard and how they will compare now that they are being managed by the same company.

But the past? It's a comparison that does not respect the affection people have for these companies from a different time, sentiments that nowadays are forgotten and judged with a modern light that lost memory from what was actually happening.

As both a Rare fan and a Blizzard fan, I don't understand the comparison and the timing, and I think it's off. Such different pasts and legacies, both of which are deceased, too soon maybe? idk

I understand where you are coming from, but i believe you are missing the point. This isn't a debate on direct comparisons or company size. Its a debate on genre defining kings of their eras. Blizzard wasn't just RTS, They made plenty of games outside of that genre, 2 of which were not RTS. World of Warcraft defined the MMO genre while Diablo defined the Action RPG genre. Much like Rare when they produced the DKC trilogy, Goldeneye, Killer Instinct, Banjo Kazooie, all very different games from each other, and best in class. Rare might not be as successful as Blizzard due to Blizzards sheer size and revenue they make from their games, but from a time when Rare were kings, they were like Pixar, much like Blizzard is like Disney. Heavy quality from both sides and debatable who was making the better products on release. 

I grew up with both, i am a huge Blizzard fan and a Rare fan. I use to compare them all the time. Its not odd, its an interesting take of two companies with extremely rich heritages. I always said Blizzard was the Rare for PCs, because they were one studio that made multiple genres and were kings in it. RTS, MMO, ARPG, you name it, while Rare made Fighters, Platformers, FPS etc.

Blizzard and Rare had some of the best creativity in the industry. They both knew how to make games for their fans and they delivered on multiple fronts. They are different companies yes, but they left similar legacies. Someone who has played all of Rare and Blizzard games, i can safety say i loved them both and its hard to decide which i loved more, hence the debate. 

I like Diablo 3. Not played 2. Other than that Blizzard never did anything for me. I was in on Rare in the 90s. DKC, KI, Jet Force Gemini, Captain Skyhawk. They were awesome.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Agente42 said:

Blizzard producers in Japanese videogame brings a new way to view computer games, more colors( look at the PC games before the blizzard, darker and less colorful), sound design. Blizzard mixes the Japanese with the American way and brings the genre kings a la Nintendo in Pc space. 

There have always been lots of colorful games and less colorful games on PC... there was always the choice.

PC didn't need Blizzard to bring more colors to it.

Around the Network

Not even close, Blizzard easily.

Azzanation said:
Spindel said:

And I still think Rock 'n Roll Racing is one of Blizzards high marks.

I absolutely loved Rock n' Roll racing on the SNES, great game by Blizzard.

The funny thing is that Rock n' Roll Racing is a glammed up clone of RC Pro AM on NES. 

And guess who made RC Pro AM on NES? 

Yeah that is right it is Rare. 

Rare is the better company of the the two over all, more variation in their catalogue. In their prime Blizzard mainly made two types of games RTS (War-/startcraft) and isometric dungeon crawler (diablo/wow). 

Conina said:
Agente42 said:

There have always been lots of colorful games and less colorful games on PC... there was always the choice.

PC didn't need Blizzard to bring more colors to it.

The color argument is ridiculous, I agree. What isn't is that Blizzard defined genres, while Rare did not.

Diablo was basically the first of it's kind. And with Diablo II already refined it so far that it is the template until today. Warcraft/Starcraft were preceded by Dune II and Command&Conquer, but Blizzard took the formula to a new refinement level, that became the template for the genre. So yes, I understand the comparison that Blizzard is more comparable to Nintendo. Mario wasn't the first platformer, but it refined the concept so that it became the template.

Rare did good games, but I don't see anything genre defining. As I said before, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were only insofar outstanding, as they brought FPS to console. But for the FPS genre overall they did nothing really new. Same with other games by them. I see good games, but not genre-defining templates.

So yes, Blizzard is on another level compared to Rare.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Ka-pi96 said:

Easily Rare. They dominated 5th gen FPS games.

IMO Blizzard have yet to even make a good game in any genre, let alone a great one.

Nope, Rare never dominated FPS.

1997 (Goldeneye release year) had Quake II, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Hexen II, Shadow Warrior - all superior games in regards to used gameplay mechanics. You may also note that this list includes a lot of II, so more importantly all these mechanics were already developed before. Even Shadow Warrior is using the tech from Duke Nukem 3D.

Perfect Dark came 2000, in the same year on PC the FPS made massive progress, while Perfect Dark basically is still gameplay wise a Quake like game. In 2000 though came games like Deus Ex and Counterstrike, which moved FPS in new territories. Genre-defining Half-Life already released in 1998.

Don't get me wrong, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are good games and Rare made good work. And certainly it was new to bring FPS to console. But if we look at the FPS genre as a whole, not only at the console side of things, then these games are good games, but not outstanding.

Blizzard basically defined major templates for two genres with Warcraft/starcraft in RTS and with Diablo in action RPGs. Games today still work off the design choices made with Diablo and Starcraft.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

As much as I like Rare games (DKC, Blast Corps, Battletoads), Blizzard games are on another level. I've spent a few hundreds hours into StarCraft, Diablo II, Diablo III and Overwatch each. Diablo II and III must be closer to a thousand hours.

Signature goes here!