By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox is becoming the unsung hero of this generation

They are ticking all the right boxes for me and it's not even close, really.

GamePass. As the GP value thread showed, I've saved over $1,000 thus far thanks to GamePass. Now I play a lot more games and pay less. Plus, I get all MS games "free". None of the other consoles have anything remotely close to this.

xCloud. So far I've only used it on my PC browser and my phone on my home WiFi, but in the future this is going to be amazing. Mostly because, again, it has all MS first party games on it, and eventually GamePass games.

First party. I've never been a huge fan of MS first party. Until last gen I hadn't even played most Halo games and until this gen not most Gears titles. But now they have the biggest studio stable around and not only have they added a ton of studios but they are all studios that are my jam. Bethesda, Double Fine, Playground, Obsidian, Undead Labs, etc.

SmartDelivery. Mocked prior to launch, we've already seen it come in clutch for Xbox users while on the other platform there have been issues. Using xCloud on my PC for example, if I load up Outriders, it plays the last gen version of the game. My save transfers just fine and I play the game. When I go back to my Series X it grabs my save from last gen and applies it to my Series X version and loads it right up. If I go to download a game optimized for X|S it just grabs the right one and it works.

I'd also go into price, MS is still selling games for $60 compared to $70, but with GamePass making all first party games "free", it seems like a redundant point.

Free legacy enhancements. They just added a shit ton of FPS boost games. We also get resolution enhancements, auto-HDR, and quick resume on older titles. It's fucking amazing.

Overall it's just an amazing gamer centric console that seems more "4theplayers" than anything that we have seen before.

Around the Network

Just to add about the legacy enhancements, Mass Effect Triology launches soon for all Xbox and PS consoles. It’s essentially a last gen game enhanced, so the PS5 will basically just run the PS4 Pro version with no enhancements. But the SX will run the game at double the frame rate, because of the BC support built in. Amazing.

I haven't felt less compelled to get an XBOX than I'm now.
Honestly it has zero appeal whatsoever to me.

By standard metrics of next generation releases, I would say Xbox Series at this point has not even entered in the next gen.

Sony's on the other hand has been somewhat acceptable but pretty slow too.

Are we really buying these boxes for upgrades in resolution and fps??? Wtf is going on with our standards. Are we really waiting 2 to 3 years for compelling next gen experiences?

If not for Astro's playroom and a faster UI this gen is a wash for me.

Make no mistake, Xbox is setting themselves up really well...but thats where it is at the moment - about to pull the trigger. Not quite fired yet!

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:

By standard metrics of next generation releases, I would say Xbox Series at this point has not even entered in the next gen.

Are we really buying these boxes for upgrades in resolution and fps??? Wtf is going on with our standards. Are we really waiting 2 to 3 years for compelling next gen experiences?

Make no mistake, Xbox is setting themselves up really well...but thats where it is at the moment - about to pull the trigger. Not quite fired yet!

I don't think the intention was to wait 2 to 3 years for the next gen experience. At the moment the resolution and fps upgrades are nice, not to mention faster load times.  The bulk of the new generation sales are the early adopters that are always there with new tech.  When the big hitters finally get around to releasing that will bring in the regular waves of purchasers.  It won't be a new normal, it's just the current clustered mess, brought about by the jacked up world wide events.

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 06 May 2021

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:

It's a bit depressing tbh. All news is about resolution, fps, ray tracing, gamepass, vrr and pretty much nothing about gameplay nor dualsense or 3D audio. If you don't have a 120fps VRR tv you might as well not bother with this gen. That's what it feels like at this point.

XBox is delivering the ultimate gen 8 console, but I would rather have a gen 9 console and experience.

Shinobi-san said:

As someone who had a Xbox One S before Series X, definitely yes, Lol.

And also the loading times, loading on One S was unbearable in some games.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 06 May 2021

This is simply economy of scale.
You don't bring out your biggest guns onto a hardware base of only a few million units sold. Hence you have to bridge the waiting period somehow.

MS is doing it by throwing old games into the ring. At what costs would be interesting to know. It's certainly costing a lot of manpower. And I highly doubt this old stuff brings new customers into the fold, it certainly retains old customers until Halo Version 2345, ForzaVersion 7629, Gears Version 2109 are ready.

Sony is in the position that they have just enough manpower in studio output so they can throw some "not-quite-bigges-gun" material into the ring and not waste their limited budget and manpower on old stuff - as nice as preaching "backwards compatibility" to the choir may sound.

Ryuu96 said:
Shinobi-san said:

As someone who had a Xbox One S before Series X, definitely yes, Lol.

And also the loading times, loading on One S was unbearable in some games.

lol I too am enjoying my PS5 and the quality of life improvements over PS4 but I cant see how we refer to any console as a hero with this dismal generation launch.

In contrast, if you were a multi console gamer last gen going into Gen 8...these are the exclusive games you would have had access to on launch day and launch window.

• Killzone Shadowfall
  • Knack
  • Resogun
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Driveclub
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • Killer Instinct
  • Ryse: Son of Rome
  • Titanfall
  • Kinect Sports and all other Kinect based games

I mean thats 10 solid new games and some new experiences as well (as much as everyone made fun of Kinect it was a new experience).

In comparison this gen launch and launch window seems dismal. Even the games that Sony released, were mostly lacklustre new experiences - but rather polished versions of what came before (spiderman, Demon Souls).

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

It is no longer called the most powerful console in the world.
yes, most people were deceived.
And the many advantages Xbox once had were now lost or caught up by Sony.
The only thing left is the most affordable, aka the most consumer-friendly.
This is not the most similar to a brand that once boasted of being the most core gamers.

My prediction in 2021.

SW: 30m

PS5 16m

XBS: 7.5m