By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox is becoming the unsung hero of this generation

drkohler said:
SvennoJ said:

Problem with XBox is, you can play all the exclusives on PC, with fewer restrictions (free online) ..

This pretty much saves MS from another sales fiasco like the previous gen was. With current PC graphics card prices, even entry-level gaming PCs cost (at least) twice as much as a SeriesX. We are just a few weeks into this generation of consoles and the sales figures already fell to 2:1. Without the semiconductor shortages, it would likely already be another bloodbath for MS.

smroadkill15 said:
SvennoJ said:

Unsung is a poor choice of words as, well at least on Eurogamer and here, it gets sung high praise on a daily basis :p It's not overlooked by consumers either as it's just as sold out here as the ps5 is, can't get either. (You can get the little one online, not that much interested in the gimped one by early adopters)

Problem with XBox is, you can play all the exclusives on PC, with fewer restrictions (free online) and more options. So why buy a box if you can put that money towards upgrading your pc or spend a bit more on a gaming laptop. Assuming most people have a pc or laptop. Buying a XBox feels redundant.

Xbox still doesn't have the same mindshare as the only 2 consoles regardless of it selling out. Things may change when the games start dropping, but for now that's not the case. 

I don't think releasing games on PC day one has or will have that much of a impact on console sales. On a gaming enthusiast sites like this, we see that opinion a lot, but outside of that, the average consumer doesn't care about PC gaming, and only uses their PC for every day use like work. Most consumers are not willing to spend the upfront cost to get something with similar specs as what current gen offers. Even if Sony started releasing their games day 1 on PC, I doubt it would change much. 

It did have an effect on me and most consumers are also fine without the latest hardware specs. I'm still perfectly happy with a 1060, don't care about 4K output. Yet somehow the Series S feels like a dud to me and I rather play on my laptop than get a box that's just the same (digital games only).

A PC or laptop with similar capabilities of the Series S isn't that expensive (a lot more than the Series S sure) and you can do a lot more with it. But true, nowadays most younger people use their phone for everyday 'computing' needs. xCloud could be what gets in Series X sales' way. I doubt it though. For now sales are fine, everything is sold out.

Another thing nowadays is online learning. My kids can use new laptops, they can (and are) gaming on those as well. So no incentive to give them a console for Christmas. New laptop, play on that.

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
SvennoJ said:

Unsung is a poor choice of words as, well at least on Eurogamer and here, it gets sung high praise on a daily basis :p It's not overlooked by consumers either as it's just as sold out here as the ps5 is, can't get either. (You can get the little one online, not that much interested in the gimped one by early adopters)

Problem with XBox is, you can play all the exclusives on PC, with fewer restrictions (free online) and more options. So why buy a box if you can put that money towards upgrading your pc or spend a bit more on a gaming laptop. Assuming most people have a pc or laptop. Buying a XBox feels redundant.

Xbox still doesn't have the same mindshare as the only 2 consoles regardless of it selling out. Things may change when the games start dropping, but for now that's not the case. 

I don't think releasing games on PC day one has or will have that much of a impact on console sales. On a gaming enthusiast sites like this, we see that opinion a lot, but outside of that, the average consumer doesn't care about PC gaming, and only uses their PC for every day use like work. Most consumers are not willing to spend the upfront cost to get something with similar specs as what current gen offers. Even if Sony started releasing their games day 1 on PC, I doubt it would change much. 

PC gaming is the main form of gaming for the hardcore crowd in many countries. Countries like the US and Japan love consoles disproportionately compared to other countries. So while the average consumer in the US/Japan might not care much about PC gaming, I think the average consumer worldwide does care about PC gaming.

MS really are ticking all the right boxes with the pro consumer choices they are making this gen. Makes me want to pick up an Series X for the sitting room even with owning a gaming PC with an RTX3060TI id well get my worth out of it since my Game-pass ultimate sub will work on both it would also make the sub worth it more since id be using it more. Plus i already own a Series S/X controller for my PC so i wouldnt need to buy an extra controller to play with my kids.
So for people saying the is no value in a Series S/X console for someone who owns a PC thats not always the case as i see lots of value.

And i have friends and family who will not pick a PC over a console at all even if they was cheaper as they see it as being too "Complicated". And technically they are right.
I mean imagine known nothing about PC's and trying to figure out how to play games on it without someone telling you how or you reading up about it Sure many of us figured it out on our own. But not many casual people want that hassle. With a console they read up on nothing they just know they plug it in and pop their game in and download.
And why all a sudden has the argument reversed. At one stage the argument console gamers would make was no one would game or pick a PC anyways over a console even if all the games was on it. Now the argument is if all games are on PC no one will want a console...

mZuzek said:
Shadow1980 said:

Once I finally get a Series X, I'll have owned every major console from the past five generations except for the Saturn (it was discontinued several months before I got my first job). I have had my fair share of both praise and complaints about all of the current Big Three. Perhaps because I've always been a multiplatform person since the 16-bit days, I've never really understood how vociferous people get over their like of a particular brand and, frequently, dislike of other brands. I know where it comes from: the same part of the brain that all other forms of tribalism comes from. Still, why tie your own identity as a person to a particular brand of electronic toy? It's not something serious, like disagreements over matters of public policy.

I think a lot of it has to do with this:

Shadow1980 said:

Once I finally get a Series X, I'll have owned every major console from the past five generations except for the Saturn.

Not everyone has money to spend on getting every console under the sun. For starters, pretty much every kid or teenager that wants a console will have to ask their parents to buy them one, and the vast majority of parents won't buy more than one. Obviously, this stops being the case amidst adults, but inevitably you already have some brand loyalty forming in someone's childhood years - heck, the gaming marketplace was very much meant for kids during the 80's, 90's, and even a little into the 2000's. Games were seen as a kiddie thing, so you didn't have many adults to begin with.

Even ignoring that and taking it from the point where there are many adult gamers with jobs, there are a lot of people who don't make enough money to be spending so much on games. You can argue that if someone makes enough to buy one console, they can eventually buy another, but for most people it's just not worth it as it can be really redundant to own multiple consoles just for a few specific exclusives. This obviously also depends on where you live, I'm sure in somewhere like the United States there might be plenty of people who make enough money just fine but somewhere like here in Brazil it's extremely expensive to buy just one console and the vast majority of people wouldn't even entertain the idea of getting another.

And, yeah, if you can only get one console for financial reasons, it is still very much possible to not act like an idiot and take sides like the console brands are your football team. But I feel that's just how it is. Inaccessibility makes people want to disregard what they can't have, and for some this can escalate into idiocy. This is especially true if it's between kids at school, who love to take sides to argue about stupid things and bully the ones with unpopular opinions - and since most gamers in the 80's, 90's and even a bit into the 2000's were kids at school, well... there you have it.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but as gaming lost its stigma of being a kids hobby over the past 15 years or so, I feel like console wars have become less and less relevant, to the point I rarely see anything of the sort nowadays.

I do have some brand loyalty for certain things, namely some food items. I like Coca-Cola best out of all cola brands because I think it tastes the best. But I don't tie my identity to how my taste buds perceive a particular brand of soda. I don't particularly like Pepsi (I'll drink it if that's all that's available at the moment), but I won't begrudge others for preferring it over Coke. And when it comes to non-foods, I honestly can't think of any brand I'm loyal to to the exclusion of all others like it.

I think my lack of brand loyalty for consoles stems from pure historical accident. In the late 80s I was all about Nintendo. Elementary school me thought the NES was the coolest thing ever. I was all about Nintendo at the time. I had a subscription to Nintendo Power. I had a Super Mario lunchbox. But to be fair Nintendo really was the only name in console gaming in the latter half of the 80s because of their de facto monopoly on the market.

Needless to say, I was super excited to get a Super Nintendo when it came out in 1991, but instead my parents bought me a Sega Genesis, which I knew next to nothing about (the only reason I even knew of Sega was Sears catalogs). I think they did that because the Genesis was $50 cheaper than the SNES at the time ($150 vs. $200) and they probably thought "Eh, he's 11. He'll like it." Well, as it turns out I did like it, though I still really wanted an SNES. Fortunately I had other ways of scratching that itch until I finally got an SNES in 1994. While back then on up to this day I prefer the SNES to the Genesis, I spent a considerable amount of time playing on the latter, and I'd still consider it worthy of placement among my Top 5 systems ever. But the SNES was the last time my parents would buy me a system, and my mom flat-out stated that if I ever wanted another system I'd have to wait until I got old enough to get a job to buy one on my own, which I eventually did.

With Sega struggling post-Genesis, in my early high school days my attention for Gen 5 systems was squarely back on Nintendo. My best friend of almost 25 years bought an N64 right around the time it came out, and I would come over to his house (which is my house, now) throughout my sophomore year to play Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64. While I was aware of PlayStation due to gaming magazines covering its games, it wasn't until Final Fantasy VII was announced as a PS1 exclusive that I actually became interested. When I did finally get a job in 1998, mere days after my junior year ended, one of the first big purchases I made was for a PS1. I figured I'd go ahead and get one to play FF7 since my friend had an N64 and I could just play it at his place until I could get one of my own a few months later. While I did end up getting several other games for the PS1, I still had a clear preference for the N64 because most of the games I was interested in were on it.

As you can see, I always have had preferences. I preferred Nintendo throughout the 90s (and I still really love their games; the Switch has some of their best output since the 90s). I didn't really have a clear preference in Gen 6 (it was the nadir of my video game playing), but since Gen 7 I've preferred Xbox over PlayStation for "conventional" consoles. But even if a system wasn't my favorite, I always felt every major console had enough to offer to warrant getting one at some point.

Now that I'm done with my gaming life story, I can say that I do understand that not everyone was able to have multiple systems per generation growing up. I can't imagine many kids living in the early 90s had both an SNES and a Genesis. And I do get why some people may never decide to branch out into other console brands as adults. They may be perfectly fine with the brand they've been playing on, and they may even not have the time and/or money to invest in other brands (I've never had a lot of money, but I'm good at saving it, plus I bought most of my hardware with tax refund money).

Still, I don't get how people get personal over these things. For some people, it's not enough to like a brand. They feel they need to defend their chosen brand against any and all criticism (real or perceived) or even against anything that's not glowing praise and exuberant optimism. They feel the need to attack other brands as "inferior" regardless of actual quality. We see it with all fandoms. Star Wars vs. Star Trek. DC vs. Marvel. And of course Nintendo vs. PlayStation vs. Xbox. Even within a given fandom, you see internecine warfare between fans who fight over what parts of the franchise they should or shouldn't like (there's some people will treat you like dirt if you so much as dare to defend the ST sequel trilogy in their presence), or certain fans going beyond the bounds of acceptable adult behavior in attacking the owners of the brand for doing things the fan doesn't approve of (and I'm not talking about legit mismanagement from the owner; I'm talking about even things like creative decisions the fan doesn't like). For that reason, I disagree that the "console war" mentality is not still relevant in gaming communities. I see it in forums all of the place. There are still people that feel the need to attack brands they didn't like or get overly defensive of brands they do like, video games or otherwise. Now, it may be on the decline (surveys indicated greater PS-Xbox cross-ownership in Gen 8, and I think the most recent survey of Switch owners also shows most of them own a PS4 and/or XBO), but it's still far from rare.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

zero129 said:

MS really are ticking all the right boxes with the pro consumer choices they are making this gen. Makes me want to pick up an Series X for the sitting room even with owning a gaming PC with an RTX3060TI id well get my worth out of it since my Game-pass ultimate sub will work on both it would also make the sub worth it more since id be using it more. Plus i already own a Series S/X controller for my PC so i wouldnt need to buy an extra controller to play with my kids.
So for people saying the is no value in a Series S/X console for someone who owns a PC thats not always the case as i see lots of value.

And i have friends and family who will not pick a PC over a console at all even if they was cheaper as they see it as being too "Complicated". And technically they are right.
I mean imagine known nothing about PC's and trying to figure out how to play games on it without someone telling you how or you reading up about it Sure many of us figured it out on our own. But not many casual people want that hassle. With a console they read up on nothing they just know they plug it in and pop their game in and download.
And why all a sudden has the argument reversed. At one stage the argument console gamers would make was no one would game or pick a PC anyways over a console even if all the games was on it. Now the argument is if all games are on PC no one will want a console...

My opinion about PC gaming changed over the past couple years. Perhaps it's been long enough ago that all the (tech) problems I had with PC have faded in my memories. Not that there aren't still problems, yesterday I had to disband our MS family nonsense, throw the kids out, so I could make some changes to the firewall on their laptops so they can play together in LAN in Minecraft. Yep for the casual, it is still a hassle.

What else changed is that my kids are older, up later, so the tvs are also more in use. Gaming laptops have gotten better, so now I play on my laptop while watching/listening along with the tv. And the more I use my laptop, the less I'm interested in playing on console. Couple days ago I turned the ps4 on again, first a system update, slow process with multiple restarts. Then an update for Beat Saber, installing a music pack I don't want to unlock anyway then finally I can play while slowly updating GT Sport (takes 35+ minutes). I didn't get around to playing GT Sport.... time up.

Some games are just better on TV though, large screen, 5.1 surround, dim the lights, no distractions. (pc always a forum, mail, etc one alt-tab away) But the time for that is limited, late at night, when I'm usually tired and just want to watch some netflix before going to sleep. Hence a gaming laptop with games that you can pause at any time, much more convenient nowadays.

The Series X costs quite a bit here. I rather put that towards my next gaming laptop. PS5 has the exclusive (dis)advantage and psvr 2 coming. Hence XBox is not ticking all the right boxes for me. It's missing the VR box. Even if Sony had all exclusives on PC, it's PSVR 2 I'm looking forward to. Sure a PC headset would work too, but I just want it to work. I'm fine playing FS2020 at 20fps on a screen, but no stuttering and messing with settings in VR please.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
zero129 said:

My opinion about PC gaming changed over the past couple years. Perhaps it's been long enough ago that all the (tech) problems I had with PC have faded in my memories. Not that there aren't still problems, yesterday I had to disband our MS family nonsense, throw the kids out, so I could make some changes to the firewall on their laptops so they can play together in LAN in Minecraft. Yep for the casual, it is still a hassle.

What else changed is that my kids are older, up later, so the tvs are also more in use. Gaming laptops have gotten better, so now I play on my laptop while watching/listening along with the tv. And the more I use my laptop, the less I'm interested in playing on console. Couple days ago I turned the ps4 on again, first a system update, slow process with multiple restarts. Then an update for Beat Saber, installing a music pack I don't want to unlock anyway then finally I can play while slowly updating GT Sport (takes 35+ minutes). I didn't get around to playing GT Sport.... time up.

Some games are just better on TV though, large screen, 5.1 surround, dim the lights, no distractions. (pc always a forum, mail, etc one alt-tab away) But the time for that is limited, late at night, when I'm usually tired and just want to watch some netflix before going to sleep. Hence a gaming laptop with games that you can pause at any time, much more convenient nowadays.

The Series X costs quite a bit here. I rather put that towards my next gaming laptop. PS5 has the exclusive (dis)advantage and psvr 2 coming. Hence XBox is not ticking all the right boxes for me. It's missing the VR box. Even if Sony had all exclusives on PC, it's PSVR 2 I'm looking forward to. Sure a PC headset would work too, but I just want it to work. I'm fine playing FS2020 at 20fps on a screen, but no stuttering and messing with settings in VR please.

I have to laugh because the reasons that I've moved back to consoles and away from PCs is pretty much the same as the reasons you went back to PCs.  Don't even get me started on the updates on PC.  I have to keep Windows, video drivers, sound drivers, and peripheral drivers all up to date, each of which require many minutes to update, and many of which require a reboot of the PC, which itself takes at least 5 minutes to reboot.  This doesn't even mention keeping the games themselves updated as well.  And any of these updates makes the PC basically useless for gaming while they're being done.

Whereas with my Series X, I can update games and do it in the background while playing something else (yes, the update will go slower), and it doesn't affect gameplay at all.  And if I have to update the XBox itself, the reboot takes less than a minute.

Now granted, my PC is pretty old and isn't used much for gaming any more.  And this is the main point about any of these electronics: anything you use regularly takes less time to keep up to date because it only needs to update about one thing at a time, while something you use less often will require a backlog of updates before you can do what you came to do.

SW-3707-5131-3911

kenjab said:

I have to keep Windows, video drivers, sound drivers, and peripheral drivers all up to date, each of which require many minutes to update, and many of which require a reboot of the PC, which itself takes at least 5 minutes to reboot.  This doesn't even mention keeping the games themselves updated as well.  And any of these updates makes the PC basically useless for gaming while they're being done.

1) Buy an SSD. 5 minute boot times aren't a thing with a fast nvme drive, my PC boots faster than the Xbox Series X and Playstation 5. It's not 2007 anymore.
2) You do not need to reboot after updating drivers, you need to reboot for the new features/performance to take effect.
3) You can defer windows and driver updates to a later date that is more convenient.

kenjab said:

Whereas with my Series X, I can update games and do it in the background while playing something else (yes, the update will go slower), and it doesn't affect gameplay at all.  And if I have to update the XBox itself, the reboot takes less than a minute.

You can also update games in the background on Windows while playing another game... In-fact that has been a PC feature for the last 30 damn years... So this point is a little hypocritical and weird.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 04 May 2021

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

kenjab said:
SvennoJ said:

I have to laugh because the reasons that I've moved back to consoles and away from PCs is pretty much the same as the reasons you went back to PCs.  Don't even get me started on the updates on PC.  I have to keep Windows, video drivers, sound drivers, and peripheral drivers all up to date, each of which require many minutes to update, and many of which require a reboot of the PC, which itself takes at least 5 minutes to reboot.  This doesn't even mention keeping the games themselves updated as well.  And any of these updates makes the PC basically useless for gaming while they're being done.

Now granted, my PC is pretty old and isn't used much for gaming any more.  And this is the main point about any of these electronics: anything you use regularly takes less time to keep up to date because it only needs to update about one thing at a time, while something you use less often will require a backlog of updates before you can do what you came to do.

Bolded i think is the problem here. On my PC and even my older one that was running windows 10 with a gtx1060 ( i cant really remember with the older versions i used) ive never noticed problems with Peripherals needing driver updates all the time, maybe when you first plug them in but that doesnt even take a minute.

Also ive often done things using my PC while the games would be updating. Things with PC's have gotten pretty much the same as consoles when it comes to gaming everything is pretty much plug and play. If you set Steam to launch in big picture mode on boot you pretty much have a console. What i mean by still being a bit too Complicated for someone who never used a PC before, is pretty much like i said trying to figure out how to play a game on it. And even that's not too hard but i can still see why its more complicated for a casual gamer then just plugging in a console and popping in a game.

kenjab said:

The main thing that changed is SSD. Instead of 5 minutes to reboot, it's now 10-15 seconds. I also don't tend to update drivers until it becomes a must and windows installs and reboots automatically at night. I don't feel comfortable leaving consoles on all the time, yet my laptop is always plugged in and ready to go. My old gaming pc however, turn on and go make a cup of tea. And even though windows 7 is no longer supported, it still wants to install updates every time I turn it off...

Since my kids have my 'primary' ps4, I can't do anything without updating first. Not online, all digital games locked. GT Sport you can't play online without updating. It's the same on PC though. FS2020 updates are a pita, huge, slow, mandatory, always something broken afterwards. (And perhaps needing new video drivers as well).

You're right, the difference is in what you use regularly. If you only use it sporadically, you're always swamped with updates. (And controllers that need to be charged ugh) Not so with the older consoles though, WiiU Mario, turn on and go. (If the gamepad is charged lol)

The cycle of my life, mainly gaming on 1980 PC 1986 Console 1991 PC 2006 Console 2020 PC 2035 ?

Shadow1980 said:
mZuzek said:

And, yeah, if you can only get one console for financial reasons, it is still very much possible to not act like an idiot and take sides like the console brands are your football team. But I feel that's just how it is. Inaccessibility makes people want to disregard what they can't have, and for some this can escalate into idiocy. This is especially true if it's between kids at school, who love to take sides to argue about stupid things and bully the ones with unpopular opinions - and since most gamers in the 80's, 90's and even a bit into the 2000's were kids at school, well... there you have it.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but as gaming lost its stigma of being a kids hobby over the past 15 years or so, I feel like console wars have become less and less relevant, to the point I rarely see anything of the sort nowadays.

(gaming life story)

Now that I'm done with my gaming life story, I can say that I do understand that not everyone was able to have multiple systems per generation growing up. I can't imagine many kids living in the early 90s had both an SNES and a Genesis. And I do get why some people may never decide to branch out into other console brands as adults. They may be perfectly fine with the brand they've been playing on, and they may even not have the time and/or money to invest in other brands (I've never had a lot of money, but I'm good at saving it, plus I bought most of my hardware with tax refund money).

Still, I don't get how people get personal over these things. For some people, it's not enough to like a brand. They feel they need to defend their chosen brand against any and all criticism (real or perceived) or even against anything that's not glowing praise and exuberant optimism. They feel the need to attack other brands as "inferior" regardless of actual quality. We see it with all fandoms. Star Wars vs. Star Trek. DC vs. Marvel. And of course Nintendo vs. PlayStation vs. Xbox. Even within a given fandom, you see internecine warfare between fans who fight over what parts of the franchise they should or shouldn't like (there's some people will treat you like dirt if you so much as dare to defend the ST sequel trilogy in their presence), or certain fans going beyond the bounds of acceptable adult behavior in attacking the owners of the brand for doing things the fan doesn't approve of (and I'm not talking about legit mismanagement from the owner; I'm talking about even things like creative decisions the fan doesn't like). For that reason, I disagree that the "console war" mentality is not still relevant in gaming communities. I see it in forums all of the place. There are still people that feel the need to attack brands they didn't like or get overly defensive of brands they do like, video games or otherwise. Now, it may be on the decline (surveys indicated greater PS-Xbox cross-ownership in Gen 8, and I think the most recent survey of Switch owners also shows most of them own a PS4 and/or XBO), but it's still far from rare.

Well, there at the end you admit it is less of a thing than it used to be, even if it's still more prominent than I thought. Heck, VGC itself is here pretty much because of console wars, it's the place for people to come and brag about their console being more successful than someone else's. The fact that there isn't more console wars here is actually kinda remarkable.

As for how people get personal, well, I already gave my own theory on why and how that comes to be. Ultimately, it's something that can only happen when idiots are involved, but as with all walks of life, idiots are always involved.