By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox is becoming the unsung hero of this generation

By standard metrics of next generation releases, I would say Xbox Series at this point has not even entered in the next gen.

Sony's on the other hand has been somewhat acceptable but pretty slow too.

Are we really buying these boxes for upgrades in resolution and fps??? Wtf is going on with our standards. Are we really waiting 2 to 3 years for compelling next gen experiences?

If not for Astro's playroom and a faster UI this gen is a wash for me.

Make no mistake, Xbox is setting themselves up really well...but thats where it is at the moment - about to pull the trigger. Not quite fired yet!

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:

By standard metrics of next generation releases, I would say Xbox Series at this point has not even entered in the next gen.

Are we really buying these boxes for upgrades in resolution and fps??? Wtf is going on with our standards. Are we really waiting 2 to 3 years for compelling next gen experiences?

Make no mistake, Xbox is setting themselves up really well...but thats where it is at the moment - about to pull the trigger. Not quite fired yet!

I don't think the intention was to wait 2 to 3 years for the next gen experience. At the moment the resolution and fps upgrades are nice, not to mention faster load times.  The bulk of the new generation sales are the early adopters that are always there with new tech.  When the big hitters finally get around to releasing that will bring in the regular waves of purchasers.  It won't be a new normal, it's just the current clustered mess, brought about by the jacked up world wide events.

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 06 May 2021

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Shinobi-san said:

It's a bit depressing tbh. All news is about resolution, fps, ray tracing, gamepass, vrr and pretty much nothing about gameplay nor dualsense or 3D audio. If you don't have a 120fps VRR tv you might as well not bother with this gen. That's what it feels like at this point.

XBox is delivering the ultimate gen 8 console, but I would rather have a gen 9 console and experience.

This is simply economy of scale.
You don't bring out your biggest guns onto a hardware base of only a few million units sold. Hence you have to bridge the waiting period somehow.

MS is doing it by throwing old games into the ring. At what costs would be interesting to know. It's certainly costing a lot of manpower. And I highly doubt this old stuff brings new customers into the fold, it certainly retains old customers until Halo Version 2345, ForzaVersion 7629, Gears Version 2109 are ready.

Sony is in the position that they have just enough manpower in studio output so they can throw some "not-quite-bigges-gun" material into the ring and not waste their limited budget and manpower on old stuff - as nice as preaching "backwards compatibility" to the choir may sound.

Ryuu96 said:
Shinobi-san said:

As someone who had a Xbox One S before Series X, definitely yes, Lol.

And also the loading times, loading on One S was unbearable in some games.

lol I too am enjoying my PS5 and the quality of life improvements over PS4 but I cant see how we refer to any console as a hero with this dismal generation launch.

In contrast, if you were a multi console gamer last gen going into Gen 8...these are the exclusive games you would have had access to on launch day and launch window.

• Killzone Shadowfall
  • Knack
  • Resogun
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Driveclub
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • Killer Instinct
  • Ryse: Son of Rome
  • Titanfall
  • Kinect Sports and all other Kinect based games

I mean thats 10 solid new games and some new experiences as well (as much as everyone made fun of Kinect it was a new experience).

In comparison this gen launch and launch window seems dismal. Even the games that Sony released, were mostly lacklustre new experiences - but rather polished versions of what came before (spiderman, Demon Souls).

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network

It is no longer called the most powerful console in the world.
yes, most people were deceived.
And the many advantages Xbox once had were now lost or caught up by Sony.
The only thing left is the most affordable, aka the most consumer-friendly.
This is not the most similar to a brand that once boasted of being the most core gamers.

Loving my Series X, a beauty of a console, despite lack of next gen games so far. It's such an improvement and we haven't really seen it firing on all cylinders yet. There's so much cool stuff to come, the usual naysayers will end up stuck in mud once again.

Shinobi-san said:

To each their own. I've been having a great time with my Series X. There are still hundreds of games I never got around to playing last gen, so getting to experience those with these upgrades is really nice. While waiting for the next big exclusives, there is still new games to play on these consoles like RE: Village and Outriders. I've probably played more games on my Series X in the last 6 months than I ever did on any other console in the same time frame and this is due to a combination of Game Pass, BC boost, and quick resume. I can't imagine how I'll be able to keep up once the big games start dropping. 

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

It is no longer called the most powerful console in the world.
yes, most people were deceived.
And the many advantages Xbox once had were now lost or caught up by Sony.
The only thing left is the most affordable, aka the most consumer-friendly.
This is not the most similar to a brand that once boasted of being the most core gamers.

It's pretty much a wash between ps5 and series X so just because they don't call it the most powerful doesn't mean it's less powerful.
What many advantages did Xbox lose? I don't understand what you're trying to say. 
It's more than just being affordable. Boosting games, BC, and Game Pass are also advantages Xbox has going for it.
Not really sure what you mean. 

Shadow1980 said:
Pemalite said:

This brand loyalty crap is pointless in my opinion, every platform has Pro's and Con's... And it's fine to point those out and talk about them, but endlessly shitting on your competitors platforms is just silly.

I think this is going to be Microsoft's most competitive generation so far, I am absolutely keen to see what they bring to the table... Xbox controller update with Adaptive triggers? More OG Xbox games in backwards compatibility? New studios?

Absolutely this.

Once I finally get a Series X, I'll have owned every major console from the past five generations except for the Saturn (it was discontinued several months before I got my first job). I have had my fair share of both praise and complaints about all of the current Big Three. Perhaps because I've always been a multiplatform person since the 16-bit days, I've never really understood how vociferous people get over their like of a particular brand and, frequently, dislike of other brands. I know where it comes from: the same part of the brain that all other forms of tribalism comes from. Still, why tie your own identity as a person to a particular brand of electronic toy? It's not something serious, like disagreements over matters of public policy.

And I do think that once we're pass these initial phases of the generation, production is steady, and MS gets more and more to offer (e.g., Halo, TES6), this will be a much more competitive generation than the last one. Especially in the U.S., Xbox's best market, where I think this could be the closest horse race we've seen since the one between the SNES and Genesis (which the SNES only won because of better legs post-replacement).

I agree and my hopes have risen, but unlike hope that can rise almost as easily as Captain Yuri at an ecchi convention, earning back respect tends to take longer and because it took having their future existence as a division hanging like the sword of damocles over their head to spur both the Division and MS to action after years of promises that have yielded little in comparison to the competition, it will even with the overwhelming and unprecedented obviousness of the obvious benefits that obviously should flow if you like me obviously own or will eventually own em all or at least one aligned platform but if that wasn't obvious enough like I told my drug dealer after years of promises I don't pay you on the promise of a better future drug supply and you don't gain my respect  just because you have taken over a successful chain of drug labs it means jack all until they reach me.

Lets not forget about poor frank and the others who have been longtime  subscribers to their dealer only to find some of their favourite drugs no longer available and any move toward the competition means grave consequences await that's gotta be a crime against a free and open drug trade.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 08 May 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot