By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox is becoming the unsung hero of this generation

LudicrousSpeed said:

Weird how I am confused when you are the one who can't keep your definition of what is DLC and what are MTX straight. You listed three games with extra content you can buy from Xbox 360 and called them MTX. Like I said before, if a map in PDZ or some cars in PGR are MTX, then so would SOCOM II maps that you have to go out and buy a Sony magazine to get. Also, the Xbox sold like 20 something million consoles. PS2 sold like 150 or something? So who exactly "popularized" what? You're the one who seems confused here. It's not a "timeline" about who did it first. It's about who made it standard.

Xbox wasn't the first console with a unified online approach, with built in online play, or even pay to play in the console space but they are rightfully credited with making all three of those standard because they are the ones who popularized it. No one cares that the Dreamcast had a 56k browser built in, that Sega games eventually required a subscription to play, or that you could get one username on your Dreamcast to be identified across all Sega games (aka a Gamertag before the Gamertag). No one cares because the DC barely sold anything. Just like Gears is credited with how modern third person shooters play, even though games like kill.switch existed before it.

Sony also popularized the Online Pass, and now $70 games. Again, there is blood on every companies hands. It's about time people got over it.

Yes, it really is.

For the third time- Microsoft did.

"The predatory game monetization tactics of today began with Microsoft. After experimenting with paid DLC for its first-party titles on the original Xbox, Microsoft planned to launch the Xbox 360 with a storefront populated by the newfangled "microtransaction." Speaking to WIRED in 2005, Microsoft described the microtransaction system as one that would provide a profitable new revenue stream for publishers - one they would be foolish to skip out on. According to US Gamer, Bethesda was the first third-party publisher to accept Microsoft's idea, offering a pack of in-game horse armor for Oblivion players at a $2.50 price point."

"Elder Scrolls director Todd Howard claimed Bethesda had tried to price the pack lower, but someone at Microsoft insisted on $2.50."

Screen Rant 2020- Source.

I agree, it's about who made it standard...Microsoft.

So if you're done with this boring history lesson, I'll just carry on. Or maybe you want to talk more about utterly irrelevant points like the Dreamcast, PlayStation Magazines or $70 games. 

Around the Network

Still harping on timelines.

also, the SOCOM maps were before Oblivion horse armor.

At least you’re right about the boring part.

LudicrousSpeed said:

Still harping on timelines.

also, the SOCOM maps were before Oblivion horse armor.

At least you’re right about the boring part.

Yes we establish who introduced it first and who popularized it with a timeline.

Yes, and the $4.99 Microsoft DLC for Mechwarrior was before SOCOM.

And everything else.

He didn’t say DLC though, he said MTX. You claimed three 360 titles had map and car MTX first, I was pointing out SOCOM had map MTX a generation prior.

You even said Mechwarrior DLC. No need to shift the goalposts, just stick to your original words. And again the SOCOM MTX were worse because they required you to go out and buy a magazine to get the disc. Amiibo before Amiibo. It also required a $100 adapter. Of course, I’d also argue that Sony games such as Last of Us, The Show, and Destruction All-Stars utilize MTX in worse ways than any MS game I’ve ever seen. See, I can shift goalposts too. Enjoy the last word, no point in wasting any more time here.

To add on to the list of pro-consumer moves, Xbox allowing X1 controllers to be used on the Series X|S. I have played numerous games with friends on my Series X and this is one of those nice QoL features I forget about sometimes. I'll add it to the list. Let's not forget the have had expandable SSD storage since launch, unlike the PS5 that still doesn't. 

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 04 June 2021

Around the Network

https://www.gamesradar.com/ps4-controller-ps5/
You can use a PS4 controller with PS5, but you can only use your PS4 pad to play PS4 games on PS5.
Makes sense since it would be like trying to play Wii Sports with a GC controller, although some ps5 games probably work fine without dualsense
You can use a ps5 controller on ps4 via ps4 remote play (just to get the inputs to the ps4, don't need to actually play on pc). It's definitely not as friendly, but it's not all impossible.

https://www.gamesradar.com/best-ps5-ssd/
There's nothing from stopping you picking an external PS5 SSD though. You can store and play PS4 games from here (so much faster than an HDD/regular external hard drive). And as of an update on April 15 2021, you'll finally be able to store PS5 titles externally too. 

BTW I wouldn't call an expensive proprietary expansion card consumer friendly. But at least it was available quickly.
They're CAD 300 here, 80 dollars less than a Series S. I would call that an anti-consumer move.

SvennoJ said:

https://www.gamesradar.com/ps4-controller-ps5/
You can use a PS4 controller with PS5, but you can only use your PS4 pad to play PS4 games on PS5.
Makes sense since it would be like trying to play Wii Sports with a GC controller, although some ps5 games probably work fine without dualsense
You can use a ps5 controller on ps4 via ps4 remote play (just to get the inputs to the ps4, don't need to actually play on pc). It's definitely not as friendly, but it's not all impossible.

https://www.gamesradar.com/best-ps5-ssd/
There's nothing from stopping you picking an external PS5 SSD though. You can store and play PS4 games from here (so much faster than an HDD/regular external hard drive). And as of an update on April 15 2021, you'll finally be able to store PS5 titles externally too. 

BTW I wouldn't call an expensive proprietary expansion card consumer friendly. But at least it was available quickly.
They're CAD 300 here, 80 dollars less than a Series S. I would call that an anti-consumer move.

You can play ps5 games with a ps4 controller using remote play so why can't you do it natively? Let's not forget haptic feedback and triggers can be disabled. Let's be real, it's about selling dualsense controllers. I don't blame Sony for doing this but let's give credit to MS for making this optional. 

Xbox has an SSD option and ps5 doesn't. I'll take option over no option any day. MS has already said they will be partnering with other storage expansion makers so Seagate won't be the only choice.