By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox is becoming the unsung hero of this generation

smroadkill15 said:

What about the 1st party games? Well, there is still work to be done. With Xbox now having 22 1st party studios(23 if you count XGP), they out number any other console maker by a wide margin, but it hasn't shown yet. With Halo Infinite delayed, Gears Tactics was the only 1st party game to play at launch, and there hasn't been much since then except for a few 3rd party exclusives. But for those who have a Series X|S, most will agree Game Pass has filled that void for now. With that said, It's only a matter of time before the games start dropping, and once they do, it's going to be hard for consumers to overlook.  

At the end of the day this is what really matters. MS having this large number of studios at their disposal doesn't mean much until they start releasing quality games in a timely manner.  But until we can get an idea of the consistency of releases and quality, it's difficult to gauge what effect their acquisitions are going to have on the brand over the course of the gen. 

All three major hardware makers have decided to focus on different areas. All of them are seeing success one way or another. At the end of the day, if the innovation of GamePass is what ultimately decides for you that MS is making the better moves then what they are doing is working. 

Around the Network

Unsung is a poor choice of words as, well at least on Eurogamer and here, it gets sung high praise on a daily basis :p It's not overlooked by consumers either as it's just as sold out here as the ps5 is, can't get either. (You can get the little one online, not that much interested in the gimped one by early adopters)

Problem with XBox is, you can play all the exclusives on PC, with fewer restrictions (free online) and more options. So why buy a box if you can put that money towards upgrading your pc or spend a bit more on a gaming laptop. Assuming most people have a pc or laptop. Buying a XBox feels redundant.

Xbox is taking some extreme measures to become compelling again and they generally deserve the praise they're getting, but the problem is they didn't address he elephant in the room in time, which means they deserve the memes as well.

A lof of gamers, fans or otherwise (not me though!), were expecting the launch period of PS5 and Series SX to be an easy win for Microsoft in terms of 1st party software, with the reasoning being Sony releasing multiple high profile late PS4 titles meant that we were going to have to wait a while before PS5 gets anything special.

Some players are getting tired of being told to wait for more waiting; others are enjoying the comedy of it. Add to this how contrary to the other pre-launch narratives the Series consoles prouction is a lot more limited and the "power gap" is virtually nonexistent or tiny, then you're very much allowing your competition to crush you again.

The one thing I couldn't see is Microsoft's ridiculous acquisition spree. It's gonna take some time, but if they keep Bethesda's bigger games exclusive to their eco system while improving their output and quality, this generation may turn out much less onesided than I initially thought.

Pemalite said:

This brand loyalty crap is pointless in my opinion, every platform has Pro's and Con's... And it's fine to point those out and talk about them, but endlessly shitting on your competitors platforms is just silly.

I think this is going to be Microsoft's most competitive generation so far, I am absolutely keen to see what they bring to the table... Xbox controller update with Adaptive triggers? More OG Xbox games in backwards compatibility? New studios?

Absolutely this.

Once I finally get a Series X, I'll have owned every major console from the past five generations except for the Saturn (it was discontinued several months before I got my first job). I have had my fair share of both praise and complaints about all of the current Big Three. Perhaps because I've always been a multiplatform person since the 16-bit days, I've never really understood how vociferous people get over their like of a particular brand and, frequently, dislike of other brands. I know where it comes from: the same part of the brain that all other forms of tribalism comes from. Still, why tie your own identity as a person to a particular brand of electronic toy? It's not something serious, like disagreements over matters of public policy.

And I do think that once we're pass these initial phases of the generation, production is steady, and MS gets more and more to offer (e.g., Halo, TES6), this will be a much more competitive generation than the last one. Especially in the U.S., Xbox's best market, where I think this could be the closest horse race we've seen since the one between the SNES and Genesis (which the SNES only won because of better legs post-replacement).

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

All that's well and good, but as someone who's got their eye on the Series X, I just want great next gen games.

I want Halo Infinite to come out and live up to the 360 and original Xbox entries, I want Hellblade 2 to come out and be as great as the first game, I want Gears 6 to come out as great as Gears 1-3, I want exciting, fresh new experiences, not old games now playable in high res/framerates.

As someone who skipped Xbox One but loved the original Xbox and 360, I want Xbox to be great again.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 May 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Problem with XBox is, you can play all the exclusives on PC, with fewer restrictions (free online) ..

This pretty much saves MS from another sales fiasco like the previous gen was. With current PC graphics card prices, even entry-level gaming PCs cost (at least) twice as much as a SeriesX. We are just a few weeks into this generation of consoles and the sales figures already fell to 2:1. Without the semiconductor shortages, it would likely already be another bloodbath for MS.

SvennoJ said:

Unsung is a poor choice of words as, well at least on Eurogamer and here, it gets sung high praise on a daily basis :p It's not overlooked by consumers either as it's just as sold out here as the ps5 is, can't get either. (You can get the little one online, not that much interested in the gimped one by early adopters)

Problem with XBox is, you can play all the exclusives on PC, with fewer restrictions (free online) and more options. So why buy a box if you can put that money towards upgrading your pc or spend a bit more on a gaming laptop. Assuming most people have a pc or laptop. Buying a XBox feels redundant.

Xbox still doesn't have the same mindshare as the only 2 consoles regardless of it selling out. Things may change when the games start dropping, but for now that's not the case. 

I don't think releasing games on PC day one has or will have that much of a impact on console sales. On a gaming enthusiast sites like this, we see that opinion a lot, but outside of that, the average consumer doesn't care about PC gaming, and only uses their PC for every day use like work. Most consumers are not willing to spend the upfront cost to get something with similar specs as what current gen offers. Even if Sony started releasing their games day 1 on PC, I doubt it would change much. 

Microsoft has only had 3 generations, sure the beginning of the Xbox One was a disaster but it wasn't "the worst". They sold more Xbox Ones than Nintendo sold SNES worldwide, hardly a failure (and very profitable for Microsoft, no Wii U situation here).

I can't say I'm ever too excited about the idea of getting a Xbox console... which, is why I'm really thankful for the turn they've taken regarding exclusives. That is, no more exclusives. I don't know or care how good or bad this is for their business, really, but getting rid of exclusives and allowing people to play their games on PC (and on rare occasions, even on competing consoles) is the best. So maybe I wouldn't call Xbox a "hero" because I don't care about the console itself, but I do salute Microsoft for their consumer-friendly decisions.

I have long been a multiplat gamer, but I have favored Xbox the most out of the 3 ever since they entered the market in gen 6. Last gen was a pretty dark point for Xbox fans for sure, I myself ended up dropping Xbox One as my primary console in favor of PS4 Pro from December 2016 until early 2020. But there is no doubt that Microsoft is coming out swinging this gen. The things they have been doing are almost all great. And it's not just the power plays either, it's also the smaller things, the things that more so earn them goodwill than hardware sales.

• Their 1st party division is now easily the largest of the 3, with 22 first party studios and over 40 individual teams within those studios currently. And though some of those studios are smaller, 14 of them make AAA games, and some of those 14 have more than 1 AAA team. And they are still talking about possibly acquiring more 1st party studios. They also have quite a few 2nd party games in development currently, including at least 4 AAA's according to leaks.  And they have quite alot of announced 3rd party exclusives/timed exclusives already.
  • They have more genre variety than either Sony or Nintendo. Xbox, just on 1st party, now has almost every major game genre covered, with only a few missing like JRPG, Fighting, and Platformer
  • Gamepass is by far the best value in gaming currently. You can get a year of Gamepass Ultimate for $100 using the cheapest method, and for that $100 per year you get to play all 1st party Xbox exclusives day one, almost all 2nd and 3rd party exclusives/timed exclusives day one, and some 3rd party multiplat games day one, plus a large selection of somewhat older games. 
  • Microsoft's efforts in game preservation and improvement are leagues above the console competition. They are the only one of the three to currently have 3 prior generations of games on backwards compatibility natively (with no cloud or subscription service requirement), and their efforts into improving the graphics and framerate of older generation games through back compat are way above the competition.
  • The only console maker with crossplay and cross-saves between console, PC, and cloud.

Now, are they doing everything right? No, they have definitely had some missteps and mistakes along the way, including:

• Gold is currently a terrible value by itself until you upgrade to Gamepass Ultimate. Sony's PS+ has offered better free games than Games With Gold almost every month for about a year and a half, and there is the fact that Xbox console players don't get free online play while Xbox PC players do get free online play. On top of that, Microsoft tried to double the price of Gold before backlash forced them to immediately drop those plans. 
  • While they have alot of 1st party studios now, alot of the studios they have acquired had pre-existing deals that had to be completed after Microsoft bought them, which means that quite alot of their 1st party studios won't be able to release their first Xbox exclusive until the 2nd half of this console generation. Microsoft foolishly didn't compensate for this with some big 3rd party hats, which lead to a pretty dry first 7 months on the market as far as exclusives go, though the situation will be improving in the second half of 2021 with games like Flight Simulator Xbox port, CrossFireX, Halo Infinite, and strong rumors of Forza Horizon 5 and Starfield.
  • Microsoft didn't innovate enough in terms of UI or controller for Xbox Series, which has lead to Xbox Series feeling almost more like a 2nd set of 8th gen refresh consoles rather than proper gen 9 consoles
  • Their production capacity for Xbox Series consoles so far has been abysmal, allowing PS5 to outsell them by around 2:1 on a weekly basis. 
Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 04 May 2021